• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Ah Ha!" Moments

My moment was that video on Snap where he's comparing throwing a disc to throwing an axe, it's not the whole disc you are throwing... the weight is opposite from where your hand is.

It changed my view on when and how much to load my wrist before throwing, helped me understand forehand better and lob putting.

Agreed. This video has lots of gems, not so much specific technique tips, but great for getting your head around what you're trying to do.

My Aha came watching the utube vid of Cam Todd and Feldberg giving a putting clininc. Cam made the comment that he doesn't use a single link as an aim point, since it changes a bit depending on where you are in relation to the basket. He just throws at the pole.

I started thinking about this when I putt, and it dawned on me that that's basically the genius of the basket design. it's made such that a disc that will hit the pole, even nick it, will almost always go in. If you putt righty, and toss one that may tag the pole barely on the left side, you might bounce off the chains, but you'll do that sometimes anyway.

I just calm myself in my putt routine now by thinking "just hit the pole." Improved my consistency and range almost immediately.

My biggest aha moment of late has been the realization that disc 'speed' means much less than I attributed to it.

...when I got my index finger off the rim for putting and now underneath, and the power grip for driving. Leaps and bounds! I have adjusted my ball golf grip over the years too and now I can hit it straight after 35 years of playing.

My biggest aha moment of late has been the realization that disc 'speed' means much less than I attributed to it.

Yeah. It's like, "speed" is more about how fast the disc needs to be travelling for the stability ratings to apply accurately, rather than how fast the disc will go.

For me, it was the first time that I really nailed the late acceleration aspect of my throw. I still can't hit it every throw, but since I had the chance to feel it, I have been able to hunt for it ever since.

Feels good man.

When I stopped throwing it like a catch frisbee, and started throwing it like a disc. Mind you that was some 30 years ago, but I still remember it.

Over the weekend I finally figured out to get enough spin and speed on my putts to be able to throw through the chains rather than weak ass lobs. I was making about 30 % more putts!

Last edited:
Continuous acceleration into the follow through. It adds spin (when used in conjunction with a tight grip), power (because your arm is moving faster than it would be if you did not focus on continuing to accelerate), and consistency (because the disc will rip out of your hand at the same time on every throw). There is no more important concept in all of disc golf.

Towel snap drills recently brought 3 things to my attention.

1. If I focus on getting my weight forward and actively pushing myself forward into my throw with my back leg, even on a standstill towel snap drill, it makes a huge difference. Just noticed this last night, going to test it on a real throw today.

2. When I try to throw a power FH drive my upper body tends to learn back. Working on opening up my stance with my front leg more and letting me weight come forward. Feels awkward now but after some practice it should help.

3. Something that helped me a while back to clean up my FH was doing FH towel snap drills. On a 150' approach flick from a standstill I got a good snap from the towel, but when I tried to add power for a 350' drive I didn't. It made me realize when I went for the power shot I used less spin and more arm speed which destabilizes the disc and makes it turn over. After working with this idea I've slowly built the arm speed up from the short, snappy throw and I'm starting to get a much more consistent FH shot in the 300-380' range.

Towel snap drills are nice because when I'm practicing on the course or in the field I get too distracted by the disc flight to pay this much attention to my form.

Continuous acceleration into the follow through. It adds spin (when used in conjunction with a tight grip), power (because your arm is moving faster than it would be if you did not focus on continuing to accelerate), and consistency (because the disc will rip out of your hand at the same time on every throw). There is no more important concept in all of disc golf.

Well said! It was "Ah Ha!" for me when Blake T. was working with me in person and he told me to grip tighter (stacked grip) and I got good hit and that was first time I felt a really good "hit" aka snap.

I notice when I focus on late acceleration, I get good hit (not all the time). My other problem is grip. I tend to grip tight as I am start to throw, I see people said that it is best to grip tight at the last minute which I am trying to work on.

As we know that we cannot be thinking of many things when trying to drive a disc. For a long while, I tend to think "keep the disc close to my chest" before I start to throw, but lately I start to think/focus on "late acceleration" and then other times I think "tight grip at last minute". But I still don't have the consistency yet. I guess I need to do lot of repetitions with those kinds of thinking then eventually I will have the consistency I need.

I watched a lot of videos of top pros playing and I notice those pros put emphasize on follow throw in their warm up before actual throw so that make sense of what sidewinding is saying.

My "Ah Ha!" moment for putting is using my back leg to push and use relaxed wrist to pop up and generate more spin which works very well with Ions I am using. I was able to putt at longer distance with less effort.

The first day I started playing with people that knew how to play:D:thmbup:! I was an Effing horrible disc golf player for the first 6 years, and I mean for 6 years I was playing bogie golf:mad::thmbdown:.

I don't know if I would have the patience todothat.

way to stick with it

Three major a-ha's

When hearing two pros explain and then execute the use of rollers for control or "when the hole calls for it" (as one of them said). Seeing a pro put a roller within 45-50 ft of the basket on hole #1 at Cedar Hill Beaver was eye-opening.​

Getting a pro to explain the reason he rarely uses a driver (not even a fairway driver) in the wooded portions of a course.​

Understanding all of the ins/outs of putting and truly understanding "getting a feel for it." When the pro at my home course changed my staggered, straight on push putt style to straddle push putt pre-dominant, I couldn't figure out why he wanted to do that. Then he explained to me that watching me putt showed him that I was definitely a push putter but that I needed to straddle to increase consistency, based on what he saw. The ironic part is that he's a spin putter.​

And all three of these tips have save me strokes and lowered my scores.

I agree with the limiting of drivers in the woods theory. There are a few holes from time to time I'll throw a driver on in the woods, but the consistency, lack of fade and lack of bounce off trees makes it almost a no brainer at times to throw a putter or mid in the woods. Watching the huge kicks people get off trees with their high speed drivers is fun. If I was perfect I'd throw drivers more, but it will be a while for that.

for me my aha moment was when i started the x step. i was playing in a tourney and a seasond pro noticed i was only throwing forehand. he said i should try backhand so i did. he then showed me what i was doing wrong. i was running up and stoping then throwing. he then showed me the x step which helps me get my whole body into the throw. within a few holes i has throwing 300 feet and shaving many strokes off my score.

Latest posts