• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

All of your bag tags woes solved

crouchingwombat

Birdie Member
I've been stuck with the task of updating all of our tags every tournament and quickly realized figuring out tags for 50 people after the tournament is a royal pain in the ass. I search the internet high and low and couldn't find anything like it.

So! With a little help I put together this spreadsheet that automatically does it for you. You can copy and paste the names from the PDGA website or your own spreadsheet. Afterwards all you have to do is enter their score and incoming tag. The spreadsheet figures out their outgoing tags and also accounts for ties and the lower tag coming in.

It also works well on a tablet too.

Let me know if you have any questions and please don't sell this or use for personal gain. Give credit where credit is due.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jrW_u0tysDPyyJHv6eT--40h0xF1gSsILSkb_C-6xH8/edit?usp=sharing

why is that, you don't like playing for tags?

Tags within a card gets settled as soon as the last putt drops (or until the scorecard is tallied). Simple, easy, and the tag is never off your bag more than a few moments.

All in tags means remembering to turn your tag in in the morning (assuming you know who it needs to go to in the first place) and sticking around after the tournament while whoever is figuring things out figures things out. Sometimes you finish out of the money/prizes and just want to get a jump on the drive home.

I do generally end up with a couple tags at the end of the round. At some of our tournaments there are as many as 3 tags you're playing for (South Lake, North Lake and Reno). We play enough card or small rounds for tags to keep things competitive on a regular basis. If you did cards during most tournaments you don't get to play for better tags that an open or master player might have. And in most cases you most of the people on your card do not have a tag because they are from out of town or something along those lines.

If every one is used to turning in their tags before the tournament or seeing me walk around to collect them most tags get turned in.

It's all your personal preference but I personally like knowing that i'm playing for the #1 tag at every tournament and if I kill it i'm coming out with a top 10 tag.

As a TD, I delegate the tags to a trusted member.
At check in there's a shoe box and sign in sheet for players to drop off their tags.

I've also had a member go thru the pre reg list with the tag list the night before and print out a list of ONLY the tags that are coming. Makes matters really easy for the post tourney tag work.

I just don't understand bag tags. Not knocking it, it seems like a trading card game for disc golfers and I got into all that craze as a kid. It just seems like a hassle the way you described it.

I also am not too into playing all in tag tournaments. We have a great time with card tag rounds.

I just don't understand bag tags. Not knocking it, it seems like a trading card game for disc golfers and I got into all that craze as a kid. It just seems like a hassle the way you described it.

Not really like a trading card game. It's like a challenge ladder where you want to challenge players higher on the ladder to move up into their place.

The tags are numbered and you want to have the lowest number you can. Most clubs have a rule that tags are always in play in a tournament and the discussion here if that means 'all in' for all players with that club's tag or just in play with the players on their card. My preference is for all in at the club monthlies and just on your card at larger tournaments.

All in every final round of a tournament, that's been our club rule since we've had bagtags. Why limit yourself to just your card, what if they all suck? Its a pain afterwards but somebody always steps up.

Not really like a trading card game. It's like a challenge ladder where you want to challenge players higher on the ladder to move up into their place.

The tags are numbered and you want to have the lowest number you can. Most clubs have a rule that tags are always in play in a tournament and the discussion here if that means 'all in' for all players with that club's tag or just in play with the players on their card. My preference is for all in at the club monthlies and just on your card at larger tournaments.

Understood. Pretty cool concept, but can see why you would be wise to thoroughly handle them during tourneys

Most clubs have a rule that tags are always in play in a tournament and the discussion here if that means 'all in' for all players with that club's tag or just in play with the players on their card. My preference is for all in at the club monthlies and just on your card at larger tournaments.

The bag tag league I was in last year did this a lot (going 'all in'). I thought it should never happen except at the very first meeting of the year to determine initial numbers.

It really bugged me that an entire year's worth of slowly climbing up a ladder will become completely irrelevant during an 'all in' night. As long as you throw well on that last night, everything else is moot.

There are a couple of big reasons why we don't often (or ever?) do all-in tags in Kansas City.

1. We have over 300 tags, only a small fraction of which are up for grabs at any given tournament.

2. Most tournaments here are club sponsored, but not run by the club (many are by Dynamic Discs). Likely a large percentage of players are from out of town, or aren't regular club players and don't have a tag. You might have a 90 person tournament with only 30 KCFDC tags in the event.

So why bother with a ton of work, extra procedure and announcements, for something that only matters to a small percentage of the players?

To the OP: This seems like a great idea, and I know there will be people who appreciate you taking the effort to work it out. Kudos. :thmbup:

Many people enjoy bag tags, under varying rules and for different reasons.

For those that do the all-in at tournaments, anything that makes it easier or faster is welcomed.

For those of us who don't, it hardly matters.