• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

American Disc Golf Tour

I've been involved with cross fit, their trainers and facilities since 2008, not quite as long, but long enough. I'm not completely anti cf, but I do laugh at their "trainers" and their ability to turn someone in to a pretzel. You being injury free is great for you, just realize there are many, many more who don't share your luck. I've been NSCA Certified since 2008, and when THE council on strength and conditioning in the US has a problem with cross fit and their teachings, you can kind of guess there's something wrong. As I've stated, if done correctly, it's a great program and can lead to astounding physical fitness, but when the way most boxes preach, lecture and scold their members in to doing, it doesn't end pretty. And when Mr. Glassman says everything anyone has ever done in fitness has been wrong up until he created cross fit...seems a bit odd no?

Oh...you think the NSCA is credible. That explains the vast gulf in our opinions what will never be bridged on this subject. I owned and recently sold the 100th box out of the 13,000 or so worldwide but rather than turn this into a "I know more than you do circle-jerk" back to the matter at hand. A good friend of mine has been involved in televising sports since the early 70's. His opinion is all that matters is viewer eyeballs. If people watch you then you get sponsors and if they don't you're destined to stay fringe forever.

Yeah, I mean who needs science. Humorously the lawsuit indicated that Cross Fit was fine with the "slander" but wanted the scientific approach and absolutes to be left out. I guess disproving most of their claims in a scientific environment is where they draw the line.
Opening and then selling any business is really just an indicator of good business skills. You jumped on the lucrative opportunity to make a lot of money off others who literally have no earthly idea what's right or wrong. Kudos to you sir.

Boy, Crossfit people don't miss any opportunity to talk about Crossfit.

Even on a Disc Golf Forum.

In a thread about a disc golf tournament.

Please tell us more.

A good friend of mine has been involved in televising sports since the early 70's. His opinion is all that matters is viewer eyeballs. If people watch you then you get sponsors and if they don't you're destined to stay fringe forever.

Which brings us to a few pertinent questions:

Will disc golf ever draw enough viewer eyeballs, under any circumstances?

Is the ADGT formula---a new event on a golf course, on ESPN3---the one that will work? Can it draw enough eyeballs to the streaming service to lead to a broadcast of future events, supported by paying sponsors confident of those eyeballs?

Will the way the ADGT is doing it help, or hurt? By which I mean, the anti-PDGA, bad rules, alternate disc specs, and all the rest.

Which brings us to a few pertinent questions:

Will disc golf ever draw enough viewer eyeballs, under any circumstances?
Eventually, yes I think it CAN, but it's going to take perfect circumstances. Or near perfect. I don't think ADGT has found those yet, but kudos for trying.

Is the ADGT formula---a new event on a golf course, on ESPN3---the one that will work? Can it draw enough eyeballs to the streaming service to lead to a broadcast of future events, supported by paying sponsors confident of those eyeballs?
No. At first it may seem cool, until people get more acclimated to disc golf and realize wide open golf course holes aren't all that great in disc golf. A few bomber holes are awesome to watch though, and may assist in the POW! factor to grab someones attention.

Will the way the ADGT is doing it help, or hurt? By which I mean, the anti-PDGA, bad rules, alternate disc specs, and all the rest.
I think your question answers itself. When people google disc gold they're highly more likely to come across PDGA, not the ADGT. I think WE here may have hurt disc golf in a sense regarding that since people will come across this thread. Any chance they would have given ADGT may be swayed by this very thread. I say we because I'm guilty of saying I dislike Salient and anything they get involved in. Looking back, I think I would have approached that differently. I'm not changing my opinion just yet, just saying it was a bit premature to jump out there and say they're going to fall flat on their faces when we haven't even seen an event take place yet.

I think it's going to take a strong, unified organization to come forward and make changes, solidify rules and such to push disc golf forward. I haven't really seen an organization come out that's really made that change yet. The PDGA has the "disc" or ball in their court right now. They could step up, realize some things need to be revitalized and make these changes to help propel the sport forward. McBeth, Lizotte, McMahan, Doss, the top touring pro's could walk in and have a meeting and really work on advancing this sport and putting its image out there as much as humanly possible.

So disc golf needs more social media narcissists bragging about their latest distance benchmark:

"Totes launched my tye-dye Groove 350ft today on a helix forehand brah. #Hard #Work #Pays #Off #H8rsbmymotivaters"

I was hoping we would go into religion, but took a quick veer into cross fit. Oh well, we have lots of time between now and, huh...

Oh yeah the American Open 2016

I just heard Paul Ulibarri on a podcast say, very genuninely, that he would be playing the ADGT event if he hadn't made prior a commitment to play the Utah Open. (It's a Prodigy sponsored event, he played it last year). He also stated his wish for the ADGTs success, and displayed none of the skepticism and cynicism that we have in this thread, and that the poscast hosts displayed as well...

So perhaps the lack of pro sign-ups has more to do with the fact that, for the bigger name guys, a lot of their commitments are made way earlier than the winter break in the schedule...? Tho I definitely heard McBeth and Schusterick give a flat "no" when asked about it...

I think it's going to take a strong, unified organization to come forward and make changes, solidify rules and such to push disc golf forward. I haven't really seen an organization come out that's really made that change yet. The PDGA has the "disc" or ball in their court right now. They could step up, realize some things need to be revitalized and make these changes to help propel the sport forward. McBeth, Lizotte, McMahan, Doss, the top touring pro's could walk in and have a meeting and really work on advancing this sport and putting its image out there as much as humanly possible.

Like it or not AGDT is going to fail. Even if they were stronger and better organized they likely would have failed. In most new ventures, the first mover fails. It's called second mover advantage.(Apple does this with pretty much everything) One organization loses tries something or develops a new technology, makes a bunch of mistakes, loses a bunch of money but shows that it could be done. Then someone steps in that hasn't lost any money but has seen where the first organization failed and succeeded and launches a successful product.

I would imagine in this case, one of the things the second organization would do is partner with the PDGA as opposed to shunning them.

So while we shouldn't root for the ADGT to fail, (They will almost certainly fail, especially considering their lack of organization and the skillsets required to run a tour) we should root for them to show that there is something here worth pursuing. For them to reveal that there is an audience for disc golf. And for them to make all the mistakes that can possibly be made so that the next organization can have all the better chance at success.

Unless we don't care about disc golf becoming more mainstream. I personally will not enjoy my rounds more if some people are playing on tv. Those can still enjoy the old-fashioned train wreck.

So disc golf needs more social media narcissists bragging about their latest distance benchmark:

"Totes launched my tye-dye Groove 350ft today on a helix forehand brah. #Hard #Work #Pays #Off #H8rsbmymotivaters"

All those hashtags/pound signs you seem to be a pro at this!

. In most new ventures, the first mover fails. It's called second mover advantage..

We have 3 "first movers"
My bet goes with the ones backed by the companies with the strongest bank sheets

Like it or not AGDT is going to fail. Even if they were stronger and better organized they likely would have failed.

It depends on how "failure" is defined. If it is an eventual live TV broadcast on ESPN, I certainly agree, or at least agree that it's an extreme longshot. But I think they can come short of that with a good event, good venue, and a live webcast on ESPN3. I'm not convinced they will, but they might, and if they do, "fail" might be too severe.

It depends on how "failure" is defined. If it is an eventual live TV broadcast on ESPN, I certainly agree, or at least agree that it's an extreme longshot. But I think they can come short of that with a good event, good venue, and a live webcast on ESPN3. I'm not convinced they will, but they might, and if they do, "fail" might be too severe.

yes, they could certainly put on a successful event. I meant success as in establishing an actual tour and making it profitable.

yes, they could certainly put on a successful event. I meant success as in establishing an actual tour and making it profitable.

Anything's possible, and with enough money and dedication, dreams become reality. But will the crew behind ADGT have the money and care enough to make it happen?

The devil's in the details, and so far Salient has shown time and again that the have no desire to confront the devil.

Latest posts