• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bagging An Ace

Keep throwing or frame an Ace?

• Keeping on hucking

Votes: 134 85.4%
  • Wall of frame it

Votes: 23 14.6%

• Total voters
I retired my1st ace disc b/c it was a glow dx gator and wasn't flying well anymore. I still have my other 2 ace discs in the bag in hopes of more great shots to come

I've never signed or retired a disc because of an ace. I've lost, broken, sold and traded former ace discs. I don't know, I just don't think it's a big deal. If you play for long enough you will probably get one (or many) aces.

It's not like in ball golf, where you can practice and play religiously your whole life and still probably never get one.

Same.

I keep throwing em. I've lost probably half of my ace discs. I've never understood the logic..

Hey, I got an ace with this disc, time to never throw it again. Brilliant.

Also, other people signing your disc is stupid. I won't even sign other people's when I see their aces.

A few years I played a lot of short chip & putt courses, pretty much daily. I played two local open 9 hole courses where every hole is an ace run. I racked up a considerable amount of aces on 100-250' holes. So I no longer count aces. I stopped counting after I hit 50. I don't have anyone sign my disc if I ace during a tourney or casual round. I definitely don't retire my ace discs. I now frequent substantially harder courses & I'm lucky if I hit 3 aces in a year.

Last edited:
Don't stop counting just because you are old. As you get older you should try to keep your mind sharp.

13 aces here and they've all stayed in the bag for a while before getting too beat up and retired. I have multiple aces on the same discs (three on the same buzzz) so it only makes sense to keep them in the bag, unless they don't fly right due to age as I mentioned. Also, I don't understand the urge to have others sign your ace disc, it generally makes them look like crap and who cares about witnesses. If you lie about getting an ace, you're a douche and if your buddies don't believe you got an ace, they're douches.

Who signs the disc and info?

Anyone that witnessed, that wants to

Where do they sign?

Anywhere on the bottom of the flight plate, just don't be super annoying with size

And do you keep throwing that disc or do you frame it?

Keep throwing it! It finally figured out what to do, why stop it by putting it away? :D

Correction, I have an Ace disc that I "retired" unofficially, mainly due to the fact that I switched up my understable fairway driver but also that the F7 I aced with is rare in the fact that it is a special stamp and the proto run where the design was a bit more stable to begin with, since I can't replace it I stopped using it, but also to preserve the sweet disc that it is and show off the stamp. So........kinda retired an ace disc, but not because it was an Ace.......I throw discs til they die typically

I'll write the course name, hole #, and date on it. Then I keep throwing it. I got one a couple years ago, and the group said "Hey, we'll sign your disc!". I always regretted it. I happened to get one just last week, and the 2 guys in my group asked "Do you have the witnesses sign it?", and I said, no, I don't need to do that, thanks. That's just me, I don't care what anyone else decides what they want to do.

I throw all my ace discs. Only one that I retired was the last ace I got. Disc has a large cut in the rim and was better to just shelve it.

Discs are meant to be thrown. Mine only get wallhanger status after they have lasted beyond their useful lifespan. I will admit, my discs with aces on them get preferential treatment over those of mine that do not, though. Case in point, the 11-aces-and-counting Z Buzzz that I only use in zero-risk situations hahahahaha.

I don't go big on signatures, just ink the rim with date & hole info.

I'll write the course name, hole #, and date on it. Then I keep throwing it.

:thmbup: Same here. Not a big fan of everyone writing on my ace disc, I just write the course, hole# and date on the inner rim and try to get some more. Take a group photo if needed but leave my ace disc looking nice and clean. :D

My theory...wall hanger your first ace disc. Everything after that lets see how many aces I can wrack up on the discs.

Sadly that hasn't paid off - no multiple ace discs (although one firebird has an ace and a few chain outs). Only have lost 1 ace disc to date.

Argh...edit window.

As to signatures. No thanks. I just write the course/hole/date on the back and call it a day. I don't need 12 signatures to validate that I actually aced.

Keep throwing, I don't care if it gets signed but I've got a couple buddies I play with in the weeklies that insist it must be signed. Not sure which disc has the most aces, I swap out my bag often enough they've been spread around. If I had to guess I'd say it's either my champ glo teebird or GL Saint

Take a group photo if needed but leave my ace disc looking nice and clean. :D

This happens a lot too.

Do have a question though, what's considered an ace? Some guys say it only counts if it's during a pdga sanctioned tourney, not even local leagues count. Thoughts?

You could be like Cubby and have 400 useless discs laying around your house :\

I would only retire an ace disc if it was in a tournament or something. I dunno... there's no point unless it's your favorite disc ever.

I have one ace with my Z Buzzz on a 200-something ft hole. Although technically it was my second shot from the tee, I still count it. It was a thing of beauty and I called it going in once I saw the line it was flying.

However, the Roc3 kicked the Buzzz out of my bag :D. I might revisit the Buzzz some time, but I have been digging the Roc3 for a few years now.

Do have a question though, what's considered an ace? Some guys say it only counts if it's during a pdga sanctioned tourney, not even local leagues count. Thoughts?
People who only count tournament aces are pretentious. An ace is an ace, unless you throw 50 discs at the basket.

Last edited:
That first ace? To the wall, Batman! After that, it'd depend on the disc and the situation, but probably bag and play the disc.

I cut out the flight plates and have them cryogenically frozen a la Ted Williams.