• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Ballista

My Opto is right there with those numbers. Maybe a little less turn and a little more fade but that could be me not getting it up to speed. I'm just now getting my technique up to where discs like this are worthwhile but how Twmccoy described it is spot-on IME.

My Opto is right there with those numbers. Maybe a little less turn and a little more fade but that could be me not getting it up to speed. I'm just now getting my technique up to where discs like this are worthwhile but how Twmccoy described it is spot-on IME.

For what its worth, I can get Ballistas out to just shy of 450'. They will flip if I throw them in headwinds or torque them wrong.

Very good driver. I'd probably have it in my top 5 overall longest drivers.

I've got a Moonshine Ballista headed my way that I ordered for cheap. From what I'm reading, I should expect a Ballista to be a faster and slightly less stable Trespass, if throwing the same plastic/weight combo. So should I expect the Moonshine Ballista to basically be a faster Lucid Trespass? I've also got a Moonshine World coming in the same order, which I'm hoping will work for headwind fighting duties.

I've got a Moonshine Ballista headed my way that I ordered for cheap. From what I'm reading, I should expect a Ballista to be a faster and slightly less stable Trespass, if throwing the same plastic/weight combo. So should I expect the Moonshine Ballista to basically be a faster Lucid Trespass? I've also got a Moonshine World coming in the same order, which I'm hoping will work for headwind fighting duties.

How far are you throwing? My Opto Ballista was a bit more OS than my Lucid Trespass. The only World I've thrown was super OS, then it was flippy. I suspect an Enforcer would work better for headwinds.

How far are you throwing? My Opto Ballista was a bit more OS than my Lucid Trespass. The only World I've thrown was super OS, then it was flippy. I suspect an Enforcer would work better for headwinds.

I primarily drive with Trespasses, Waves, and a Vanish and they all get to around 330-350. Also have a King for wideopen max distance and it's the only disc I can toss 360-375. Honestly I wasn't in the market for a Ballista or World, but they were crazy cheap. It's tough to turn glow plastic down for $10 apiece.

And yeah, I've got an Enforcer that only gets bagged on really windy days. It's too much disc for me otherwise.

I find that the Ballista and Trespass have about the same stability. Both have some high speed turn followed by a decent fade.

I've thrown about 6 Ballistas and 8 or so Trespasses. Fairly consistent molds. I haven't run into any freak discs there.

The Ballista freaking bombs. If you like Trespasses you'll love the Ballista. Very, very long driver. It'll hang with anything on the market for sheer distance.

Trespass: 12, 5, -2, 2.
Ballista: 14, 5, -2, 2.

Only real difference is that the Ballista is a couple speeds faster.

The World is much more of a crapshoot. You may get a good wind fighter, or you may get something flippy. I've seen Worlds all over the flight spectrum. I won't even speculate what yours might be.

Last edited:
Ran into a really flippy Ballista the other day. Opto, 169g. Very flat disc. Easily the flattest Ballista I've seen. Very flippy. Every hard, flat throw I tried ate ground hard. Thrown downwind or hyzerflipped the disc was super long. I had a couple real bombs with it.

I found the disc to be fairly useless on the course. I didn't know how to release it to consistently find the right distance line. The few good throws I had were almost out of sight. Most of the time the disc flipped over brutally or just tracked right the whole flight.

I guess I can't say enough what the Ballista is capable of from a distance standpoint. This super flat Ballista reminded me of a Nuke SS. Very understable, but will go 450'+ seemingly with ease if you get the line right.

Hey T-dub (or anybody),

Have you reached much consensus on how the gold line plastics fly in comparison to the Optos?

I wonder if they'll ever release the Ballista in Opto-X. I bet a domey one of those would be sweet.

Hey T-dub (or anybody),

Have you reached much consensus on how the gold line plastics fly in comparison to the Optos?

I wonder if they'll ever release the Ballista in Opto-X. I bet a domey one of those would be sweet.

The GL ballistas I've thrown have a touch more dome and are a tick more stable than Opto. I just checked the last couple pages and see I've had year end updates on my GL ballista and my findings haven't changed.

Regarding Opto-X, wouldn't that overlap with their popular new mold Ballista Pro?

Finally, I would NOT say the Ballista is as stable as a Trespass? I've beat some biofuzion trespasses into deep hyzer flip turnovers but they still cut roll stable when I try to lay them down for a roller. However, the Ballista is perfect for my 400' arm speed on sky rollers or power, quick to the ground force over rollers. Not a huge difference but I can't flip the trespass to the right unless its a headwind and nether of these discs should be thrown into a headwind unless you throw less than 350'.

I haven't had much time to work with my Moonshine Ballista yet, but what I have seen from it is perfect for what I wanted. Stability is similar to a fresh Biofuzion Trespass, so if you're comparing equal plastic types than I'd say the Trespass is clearly more stable. Obviously a limited sample size on the Ballista, but I've owned Trespasses in 4 different plastics and used it as my exclusive distance driver mold all spring/summer, so I feel like I've got a good idea of how the Trespass flies for comparison.

I'm surprised/interested to hear that the GL Ballista flies more stable than the Opto. Makes me wonder if my Moonshine is actually not a more stable plastic for this mold, since the Ballista doesn't seem to follow the usual stability order for plastic types. Right now I'm envisioning a mold minimalist's nightmare for the 2019 season: a distance driver lineup of three controllable driver molds (Photon/Wave/Vanish) and three max D driver molds (World/Ballista/King). Although I'm definitely still more comfortable with a Trespass than either a Photon or World, so who knows. Winter musings.

GL ballista was my favorite long distance driver until I recently acquired a seasoned snow line - wow what a bomber..... How does the new snow lines compare to a fresh GL?

Regarding Opto-X, wouldn't that overlap with their popular new mold Ballista Pro?

That's perfectly fine with me. The Pro doesn't feel quite as comfortable in my hand as the Ballista does. Ballista Pro stability in a Ballista would be perfect max D driver for me. It's not a big deal, I can get used to the Pro but just a preference.

I'm also curious about the current run of Snowline Ballistas. The Moonshine Ballista that I picked up about 6 weeks ago has become a vital part of my bag. It's a controllable bomber for me...I measured a flat ground throw at 390 today, which for me is an absolute crush.

Would a current run of the Snowline Ballista act as a headwind version of the disc? I know the obvious answer is "try a Ballista Pro", but I'm not really wanting to add another mold to the bag right now.

I'm also curious about the current run of Snowline Ballistas. The Moonshine Ballista that I picked up about 6 weeks ago has become a vital part of my bag. It's a controllable bomber for me...I measured a flat ground throw at 390 today, which for me is an absolute crush.

Would a current run of the Snowline Ballista act as a headwind version of the disc? I know the obvious answer is "try a Ballista Pro", but I'm not really wanting to add another mold to the bag right now.

390' is impressive for just over a year playing. At that kind of power, you'll most likely want a mold designed to handle headwinds:thmbup:

390' is impressive for just over a year playing. At that kind of power, you'll most likely want a mold designed to handle headwinds:thmbup:

I don't normally throw 390'. I knew that throw was a bomb, hence why I actually went to the effort to measure it. :) My normal max distance is closer to 350' and there are plenty of days I can't even hit that. I've got a World that right now is my "throw into a hurricane headwind" driver because in calm conditions I struggle to get my World past 300'.

Since I'm falling in love with the Ballista, I really just wanted to know if the current Snowline will provide a bit of extra stability compared to Moonshine while still basically being a Ballista. I'm by no means a bag minimalist, but when a mold works it makes me want to dabble in other plastics rather than in other molds.

Try an opto sparkle (metal flake) Ballista. That plastic is excellent and tends to fly a hair beefier than others. At your power level that disc should fly fine without flipping or being too inconsistent.

I throw Ballistas well over 400' consistently and love them. They can get a little erratic at times, but they're worth it. Not a headwind disc at all though.

Well my search for an Opto Sparkle Ballista has come up with nothing. And I'm getting more leery of buying a Snowline Ballista, since I really don't want to fall in love with a disc/plastic combo that is going OOP. I plan on heading to the local shop this weekend and picking up a GL Ballista, an Opto Ballista Pro, and a TP World. I hope to eventually settle on either:

A) cycle Ballista Pros and Ballistas, OR
B) cycle Worlds and Ballistas

I'm digging my current Moonshine World so option B is more enticing, but all the talk of Worlds being super inconsistent has me nervous that I won't be able to find Worlds in my expected/desired stability. On the other hand, I'm not sure whether Ballista Pros will have the necessary stability to be a true headwind fighter for me. So if I cycle Ballista Pros I may still need to bag a third mold, which would sort of defeat the purpose.

Anybody with experience in all three molds have thoughts?

Look for a Ballista with some dome to it. I have a couple really flat ones and they don't seem to glide as well. My best Ballista is a 169g opto with a good dome. Absolutely bombs and isn't super flippy.

I'd probably skip the World if I were you. Super inconsistent. I've had beefy ones and really flippy ones. A flippy World isn't as long as a Ballista either. They don't glide as well.

Hmmm, maybe I'll grab an Opto-x Ballista Pro rather than another World. That might give me as much stability as I need for headwinds. I do absolutely love the regular Ballista in calm winds...got it in the circle on a 375' hole at leagues tonight, which for me is a huge drive. It's becoming my go-to distance driver, so I'm trying to build my bag around it.

For 375' drives you might also want to take a long look at the Sheriff and Captain. Both of those are somewhat understable bombers. They're a speed slower than a Ballista, but will go every bit as far.

The Captain is a disc you hear nothing about, but its legit. Very easy 400' shots. Sheriffs are notoriously finicky, but if you get a heavy lucid they'll stay steady without flipping.

Latest posts