• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Disc Golf State Poll

The Best Disc Golf State is...

• Total voters
Mississippi -- there are plenty of state parks with courses (sometimes 2, such as at Wall Doxey) on the grounds. The courses are well-maintained, the parks staff is DG-friendly, the shops they have in the park offices are well-stocked -- DG is getting a lot of love from the state right now, and the parks that have courses are bringing in the money, from what I have heard, both through park entrance fees ($3/vehicle for one day; annual pass is about $40 - $45, good at all state parks -- but you have to pay that for anything you do in the park - hike, fish, picnic, etc. - not ust DG) and from proceeds from equipment sales in the pro shops they run. Check out the reviews for some of them, especially Lake Lowndes, Old Warrior Run, and Paul B. Johnson, then come on down for some Southern DG Hospitality!

Minnesota Disc Golf

Minnesota is pretty sweet with a bunch of courses pretty close to the metro area. Plus people go crazy here when the weather gets "nice". Even when the weather isnt nice just tie a ribbon on your disc and play in the snow.

why do you think snow stops play? no wimps, no whiners

as long as you enjoy freezing. i like sunshine and snowboarding with just a t shirt. everybody knows that cali is the best state ever, unless you want to own a firearm. i just bought a new shotgun and found out that there was 10 day waiting period. this was news to me, growing up in FL you can just walk into a gun shop and buy one and them go use it.

i've played texas, new mexico, louisiana, mississippi, and alabama. Texas simply has quantity over other states but also has quality courses that are championship level. I will say playing in hawaii is pretty sweet, not because the course was awesome(it surely wasnt)...i think it had something to do with the beach.

the videos/pics i have seen of the northern states' courses look amazing and i cant wait to play them.

still. i'm a texan.
:)

Not my personal assessment, but I've heard from numerous players around here who've been lured out to Cali on the notion that its the disc golf promised land, and have come back less than impressed most of the time. Most commonly cited complaints were that the courses are run down, overcrowded, and no better quality wise than the ones we have around here. That, and they're a lot harder to get to because of the much more congested traffic.

very surprised Colorado is not on the list. beautiful mountain courses (private and public) + numerous courses in the denver metro area. We also get 300+ sunny days a year. its an easy win

I guess that is basically what it seems to be coming down to...except for the honest people...who voted for Texas. :) It would have been nice to list all the states.

Isn't this the standard "vote for your own state" question? And yes, I voted for NC.

virginia!!! i say this having only played one course out of my home state... whatever.

if you guys think cali is overcrowded i am only about 25 minutes from whistlers bend in oregon and we are surprised when we get there and have to wait for someone to finish the next hole. i love being in this area cause we dont have crowds of ppl, have 3 of the top courses on the site and a beautiful, beautiful area to throw some plastic. :D too bad for the rest of you :p

As for this list...

Connecticut must be a joke...New England, as a whole, has some nice courses but most are not in Connecticut.

California...I have heard the exact same thing that was posted earlier. I have a very close friend who plays anywhere he can. He played DeLaveaga while out there on business and said that it wasn't even close to being as nice as a lot of the courses we've played on other trips. There are a lot of courses and excellent weather which help it make its case.

Kentucky...I have played a lot in Kentucky. That place would be hard to beat. Bowling Green and the Cincy area of Northern Kentucky are awesome places with some stellar courses. Throw in some of the other sweet courses scattered across the state and it is definitely a contender.

New York...I really enjoyed Ellison and Baker Farm. Rochester is a great place to play in general. I know Brakewell is in NY as well, which helps the state's case in this discussion. I thought Chestnut Ridge was over-rated and Evangola was horrible. Just my opinion. I think it has some great courses but is not quite on the level with Kentucky.

North Carolina...I guess I have played most of the excellent courses in NC and they are really nice. Charlotte and the "Triangle" are definitely amazing hubs and Richmond Hill in Asheville is great as well. This is definitely in the top 3.

Maryland...I really want to play there. Seneca Creek and patapsco seem to be the headlining courses. Plus Baltimore is an amazing city so a vacation to the area would be nice. I haven't been able to visit since I became a disc golf addict but I am hoping to soon. It may not have the quantity of courses to be considered best state.

Oregon ...looks really pretty and seems to have some amazing courses. They seem to be fairly spread out. I think it is a viable option for this list sheerly because of the beauty of the region.

Pennsylvania...rarely gets any "love" but there are a lot of highly rated courses. I have only played Lake Morraine but it was amazing. The eastern half of the state has some courses that look nice as well. I know some have mentioned Allentown as a nice spot to play in the past. I think it is easily a top 5 destination due to the nuber of highly rated courses.

Texas...there are more courses in Texas...given that there are a lot of courses, there are a lot of good ones. That means there are probably a lot of bad ones. It all depends on your perspective. My guess is that summers can be gruelling. If you travel to certain cities for disc golf, there are multiple options in Texas. That is always nice.

Each state has plusses and minuses. I haven't played them all but I would go with Kentucky and North Carolina in a dead heat. I think Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Minnesota all deserve to be in this mix as well. Other than that, I can't think of a possibly great disc golf state that has been omitted. So I say, "screw voting...let's all try to play in each state...no matter what". That's my goal. Maybe I can get there.

PS - Someone mentioned MS....just played there. Had some nice courses, but it is not yet on the level of these others. But if they keep building the courses it may be soon.

I'm changing my vote to Scotland.

index_2.htm

NC baby! And I'm totally unbiased. ;)

if it was going by quality instead of quanity and weather..new york ..you didnt even mention emory or como in buffalo..and many others in rochester, syracuse, saratoga springs, ithaca, bath, and a few of the best private courses on the east coast...but everyone is voting on their home state so not much of a poll

I also can't believe Michigan isn't on the list. Now, granted, I've never played east of St. Paul, but just from this Web site I can tell that Michigan and Kentucky could give any state a run for its money... and Iowa gets a place on the podium based on the sheer number of courses in a smallish state. I voted for Kentucky based on better weather than the midwestern states.

By the way, like someone else said, California's great courses are far too spread out.

Latest posts