• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best discs for throwing backhand....

I've got a JLS coming to me any day now, I got a strange feeling it's kicking my Valk out of the bag.

I've got a JLS coming to me any day now, I got a strange feeling it's kicking my Valk out of the bag.

Doubt that. The JLS is consistently straight, but it just doesn't fly that far. It's a great tunnel shot/thread the needle disc, but so is my Buzzz, and honestly, I can't get it to fly that much further than the Buzzz. It's definitely my shortest driver for distance, yet not as easy to control as the Buzzz. Then again, no disc is as easy to control as the Buzzz.

Last edited:
Well, I don't really know what to say because I kinda disagree with some of the stuff I've already read.

Everyone busts on the monarch but everyone hails the valk. I have a star valk and a champ monarch and see very little difference between the two as far as stability is concerned. Sure, there is probably a difference, but my technique is very far from being a constant.
I've been playing for about two and a half years now, and I can choose to turn a monarch over , or a valk, or a destroyer for that matter, but getting the exact amount of hyzer or anhyzer you want on any disc is a thing i believe we all struggle with. If you consistantly turn over a monach, have you tried throwing it at the same speed with a hyzer angle?
Keep in mind the record was set with a valk. not a boss... not a firebird....
Is anyone getting my point here?

Yes. I do... but consider this.

The guys who set the record could throw tupperware farther than you and I as well, so, yea.

The JLS and Valk are both nice.

I can throw the Valk much farther than I can throw a JLS.

The rim on a jls is similar to a leopard.

The rim on the Valk was larger than most at the time the disc was released to the public. It is a more dynamic shape, imho, than the JLS.

I think of the Valk as the badass older brother (sister, actually) of the JLS with a bigger handle.

Larger rims allow me to throw farther. Maybe that is just me but bigger handles (rim size) allow me to... how shall i say this... grab the heck out of the thing and hurl the chit out of it, for lack of better terms.

My boss is outdriving all my other discs and I am still learning it. I am fairly decent at maintaining similar form and "grouping" discs while practicing in an open field... and da boss is da boss when it comes to D. For moi, anyway...

hmm.

I am either going to need a bigger hand for the next rim size or work on a new grip.

:^/

Last edited:

Latest posts