• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best turnover disc

I recently threw a voyager and it turned over like no disc I have ever thrown, WOW.

I have a new 167 worlds Katana and man is it beautiful on a turnover line. My 175 is very stable throwing dead straight with only a little bit of turn at 400+. I threw the 167 the same way today practicing my distance lines and 360' in it hit a fence 15-20' up still cruising with no intentions of coming down anytime soon. That puppy has some glide.

My insanely beat 175 pro wraith is the best turnover disc I have ever had.

I can throw 400' turnovers with it if needed :D But takes forever to beat it in.

xpress is a real winner too.

I would put that in the distance capability of the Leopards, Rivers and X XLs; and even those I found to be a bit longer than the Xpress. Dont get me wrong, I thought the XPress was OK, just not as good as other discs close to it.

Wouldn't it just be simpler to name 3 discs that won't turnover, even when beat?

I think, if you count the stable-when-new-but-beat-to-hell recommendations, that 90% of all existing models have been named here.

I sure hope the O.P. isn't making a decision based on this thread. It'll cost $1700 and shoulder surgery to test all this advice.

Well hopefully the OP understands his game enough to have an idea of what suggestions might work for him and not try ALL the recommendations, unless thats his goal to try every disc eventually anyway.

These are not out of the box turnover discs, but with some seasoning they all get there.
For long drives I use a Star Beast (lightly seasoned) 170-172g, I used to use a beat Champ Valkyrie but lost it and beat Champ Beast but the Star Beast is more predictable.
For shorter drives with sharper turns, I use a Star Valkyrie (more seasoned) 170-172g,
For uproaches and shots under 250 ft, I use a well beat DX Cro 175g
For uproaches and very sharp turns (or to keep from going OB), I use a beat Aero that I pulled out of a lake. It turns over unlike any other disc.

Snag an elite X buzz and start beating it up. That or get a comet. They are straight to understable.

I carry both an FLX-Avenger SS and a Champ Sidewinder.

FLX-Avenger SS is surprisingly long. The plastic is awesome, and the mold is very consistent. They start out pretty much straight or a tiny bit of turn at 350' of power. But after a couple tree smacks they settle into one of the better turnover discs out there. They can be finessed into a hyzer flip or an S-Curve. Or you can torque them into a turnover dive (yes, dive) for downhill turnover shots (#9 at my home course, The Sinks). Like any out-of-the-box turnover driver, they're nose-angle sensitive. A good rip with some nose down will make it crash and burn hard. Be forewarned that the Pro-D Avenger SS is a roller out of the box. The flippiest driver I've ever thrown at max weight. Never thrown one in Z plastic.

Champ Sidewinder - I've now owned two, both red 175g. One was stable out of the box, and beat into a nice turnover driver. The other one was very flippy straight out of the gate. The Sidewinder is less shot shape-able, but more reliable than the Avenger SS, I guess. Throw it between 80-100% and it does the same thing. Hyzer it and it'll S; thrown flat it'll turn over and hold it for the majority of the flight.

Both great discs. I think if I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the Avenger SS due to its ability to perform a variety of shots, and because of how consistent the mold from disc to disc has been for me. And because the plastic is awesome.

You did not mention what kind of distance you are looking for; this would be good info for the rest of us.
Anyways, long turnovers, try RR, Sidewinder, AvengerSS
mid-range: beat DX Roc, Comet
Putter/Approach: Summit, Wedge, Magic.

Wouldn't it just be simpler to name 3 discs that won't turnover, even when beat?

I think, if you count the stable-when-new-but-beat-to-hell recommendations, that 90% of all existing models have been named here.

I sure hope the O.P. isn't making a decision based on this thread. It'll cost $1700 and shoulder surgery to test all this advice.

Banshee
Sinus
Firebird maybe

Latest posts