• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best unsponsored players

I played a tournament with him a couple years ago where he was out of first place after round 1 and it was obvious that he was just having fun, but after the resuts he "turned it on" and followed up with one of the hottest rounds i have ever seen and completely pulled away from the field by a sizeable margin by the end of the tournament.

Then this year at the Mad City A-Tier he was absolutely clutch in a playoff against Leiviska, it was quite dramatic and he had an early opportinty to win it right away but he made it interesting. Here is a video:

You have to go to about 4:39:00 and you will see the start of the playoff..

damm dog that was sick

Keith Warren is probably the Best Non-Sponsored disc golfer in the country, i have seen him play in A Tiers against top ranking pros in which he won 1st place consistently. He only plays a few tournaments a year though because he is always working, he doesn't even play leagues.. can't imagine how good he would be if he was a sponsored touring pro.

Hands down, he has natrual skill.

Keith toured for a little while with Chris Heeren (about 10 years ago). Both were with Innova at the time. Chris is now with Discraft. At that time, Keith was about 19 and probably the second best lefty in the world behind Discraft's Scott Martin.

Then this year at the Mad City A-Tier he was absolutely clutch in a playoff against Leiviska, it was quite dramatic and he had an early opportinty to win it right away but he made it interesting.

I was watching this in person that day and can honestly say it was some of the best disc golf I've ever seen. PERIOD. The round he shot to catch Cale was almost perfect, and then the playoff itself was just incredible! The ratings and footage don't do it justice.

Keith's shots are so fun to watch because not only is he a lefty (always interesting) but his flight patterns seem to be different than most players. I don't know how to describe it, but for those who have seen him hyzer flip a MAX you know what I'm talking about.

I was watching this in person that day and can honestly say it was some of the best disc golf I've ever seen. PERIOD. The round he shot to catch Cale was almost perfect, and then the playoff itself was just incredible! The ratings and footage don't do it justice.

Keith's shots are so fun to watch because not only is he a lefty (always interesting) but his flight patterns seem to be different than most players. I don't know how to describe it, but for those who have seen him hyzer flip a MAX you know what I'm talking about.

haha he has a beat to crap Max i think...

He would go on tour in a heart beat if he got a decent sponsorship that gave him the ability to do it, would be fun to watch too.

I played a tournament with him a couple years ago where he was out of first place after round 1 and it was obvious that he was just having fun, but after the resuts he "turned it on" and followed up with one of the hottest rounds i have ever seen and completely pulled away from the field by a sizeable margin by the end of the tournament.

Then this year at the Mad City A-Tier he was absolutely clutch in a playoff against Leiviska, it was quite dramatic and he had an early opportinty to win it right away but he made it interesting.

Thanks for the video, that was pretty sweet. The part you said to watch that is, I didn't watch all 5hrs. haha

Why do you think he isn't sponsored if he's that good?

I don't know ... never heard of it before ... do they pay tourney entry fees and provide plastic and/or apparel?
I don't know the details, but those are common things involved in sponsorship.

ANybody else have links to sick playoffs like the one posted above? That was awesome.

I'm pretty sure Keith Warrens main drivers are Max's.

Including a couple beat to crap ones.

Thanks for the video, that was pretty sweet. The part you said to watch that is, I didn't watch all 5hrs. haha

Why do you think he isn't sponsored if he's that good?

That's a good question. I think he just needs to get noticed on the big stage, maybe win an NT or at least place in the top 4 and then win some more highly publicized A-Tier events similar to the Mad City against some top pros.

Playing 2-3 local A tiers a year doesn't get you noticed, but its hard when you work a lot and not everyone is able to travel to bigger events when you can't get time off work.

1057? McBeth got 1050 McPro Aviars. Warren should get 1057 Destroyers.

You know that McBeth got the 1050 discs for having a 1050 average, not for a single 1050 round. Or maybe you're confusing it with the 1132 record round he shot?

I've heard some stuff (nothing negative or anything) but I'd rather him comment if he feels the need to since he's on here occasionally

To answer your question, at the end of last year I became such a mental case. I wasn't coping well with the extra pressure that going pro and being sponsored consisted of. I decided in October to temporarily leave disc golf and with that I decided not to re-up with Team D for the following year. I think in the end, it was best for me. During my break, I was able to relax from the constant tournament play and read some pretty good books about mental games that not only helped out my golf game, but overall mentality. When I returned to playing in March (ish), I was able to keep my composure on the course and I started to enjoy the game again. As for sponsorships, I'm currently sponsored by Hyzerflip Disc Golf Apparel and Fly Line Disc Store.

^ That's maturity that you don't often see from a young teen. You have a bright future, Austin.

Thank you for the insight, Austin. I'm happy to hear that you managed to find the fun in the game again.

Latest posts