• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Biggest reason people don't play tournaments

For what reasons to you not play tournaments?

• Slow pace of play

Votes: 145 29.1%
  • Time commitments prevent (family, work, etc.)

Votes: 228 45.7%
  • Cost is preventative

Votes: 91 18.2%
  • I'm not good enough

Votes: 91 18.2%
  • Temperament of tournament players (take it too seriously, complaining, etc)

Votes: 110 22.0%
  • Stuck on course all day (would rather use time for other things)

Votes: 107 21.4%
  • May not enjoy the company of people on my card

Votes: 87 17.4%
  • Don't like have to commit to playing in advance

Votes: 32 6.4%
  • Don't want to pay the PDGA fee to play

Votes: 72 14.4%
  • Tournaments start too early in the day

Votes: 31 6.2%
  • Other (list in post)

Votes: 34 6.8%
  • Even though some of these may apply to me, I still like to play tournaments

Votes: 144 28.9%

• Total voters
To get an idea on how your skill level fits in with tournament play, look up sanctioned events at courses you're familiar with on the PDGA events page. If MA3 (Recreational) isn't offered, look at MA2 (Intermediate) scores, and/or age protected Amateur divisions you would play in.

Thanks teemkey. The only course I have thrown for record is this one (White River in Auburn WA) and it is a B-tier with MA2 as the lowest division: http://www.pdga.com/tour/event/26849

Based on the few rounds I have recorded there on DGCR, I rate somewhere from low 600's to low 700's, depending on the day, so I would probably be dead weight. :thmbdown:

Thanks teemkey. The only course I have thrown for record is this one (White River in Auburn WA) and it is a B-tier with MA2 as the lowest division: http://www.pdga.com/tour/event/26849

Based on the few rounds I have recorded there on DGCR, I rate somewhere from low 600's to low 700's, depending on the day, so I would probably be dead weight. :thmbdown:

While there should be a sticky in the technique section for beginners, sadly there's not ... :(

Please start one if you're not sure how to get to 800 - 850 rating.

To get an idea on how your skill level fits in with tournament play, look up sanctioned events at courses you're familiar with on the PDGA events page. If MA3 (Recreational) isn't offered, look at MA2 (Intermediate) scores, and/or age protected Amateur divisions you would play in.

When doing this, do take into account that tourney scores will be somewhat higher due to tweaked layouts and the general tourney nerves that hit most newbies.

When doing this, do take into account that tourney scores will be somewhat higher due to tweaked layouts and the general tourney nerves that hit most newbies.

Right. Or even a lot higher, if they added some temp holes to the layout.

My last round with the local crowd was indeed my last round playing in competitive rounds. I was in a group of grandmasters and i **** you not they called 15 infractions in the first nine holes (none on me). They were all smacking trees on a local woodsy course while i managed to avoid the trees. At one point i did say that i just did not consider myself a good disc golfer at all and the guy who works at the local disc golf shop gave me a look like he wanted to stab me. After that he started calling crap infractions on me and screaming WE PLAY BY THE RULES! This was all over a 5 buck sunday singles round that i was doing just for entertainment. i have not been back to any club events or to his store. i still occasionally consider out of town tourneys but the costs and the possibilities of BS keep me playing casual rounds. btw i had never ever had any infractions called on me in 15 years of tournament play (maybe because i suck at putting and am not very much of a threat). :wall:

While there should be a sticky in the technique section for beginners, sadly there's not ... :(

Please start one if you're not sure how to get to 800 - 850 rating.
Whoever smelt it, dealt it. ;)

Write something up and I will sticky it.

My last round with the local crowd was indeed my last round playing in competitive rounds. I was in a group of grandmasters and i **** you not they called 15 infractions in the first nine holes (none on me). They were all smacking trees on a local woodsy course while i managed to avoid the trees. At one point i did say that i just did not consider myself a good disc golfer at all and the guy who works at the local disc golf shop gave me a look like he wanted to stab me. After that he started calling crap infractions on me and screaming WE PLAY BY THE RULES! This was all over a 5 buck sunday singles round that i was doing just for entertainment. i have not been back to any club events or to his store. i still occasionally consider out of town tourneys but the costs and the possibilities of BS keep me playing casual rounds. btw i had never ever had any infractions called on me in 15 years of tournament play (maybe because i suck at putting and am not very much of a threat). :wall:

Pretty unfortunate. I have never seen anything close to this in my area, certainly not in GM. I guess there are dicks everywhere.

I've been mostly following along and I've seen no mention of why I don't play more tournaments. Most of the interesting tournaments are two day events and more than an hour away. It's probably because I'm an old man, but I don't want shuttle myself back and forth that far for two days and staying overnight in a hotel doesn't seem appealing.

The tournament experience itself has always been entertaining for me. I'm looking forward to the local PDGA tourney here locally in a couple weeks. But when it's a good drive just to get to the course, the costs start out-weighing the benefits for me.

I know some guys who started playing tournaments the same month that they started playing disc golf.

There is no formula. It's up to you to decide when you feel you're ready.

Honestly that's as good a time as any to start playing tourneys b/c you're most likely to enjoy the player's packs as opposed to guys swimming in discs they don't throw like me. Probably get better faster too, even in Rec, if you're used to playing with fast and loose casual bros instead of actual competitors.

Hyper competitive cut throat players, inexperienced td's who seem only to be in it for the money and ego, time commitment. The costs for me outweigh the benefits. Fair, fun tournaments are few and far between in these parts.

I'll pick and choose my tourneys next year, but will focus mainly on throwing plastic and having fun.

Just curious what infractions were being called?

Clearly you have no clue what a tourney budget looks like....

I've been doing this a while, I know most td's are in it to serve the community and some even take a hit to pay for shelter rentals, etc. Those aren't the td's I'm referring to. Sorry if I painted with too broad of a brush.

Discgolf is cardio and a zen mode thing for me that I do just for a regular exercises sense there are so many health, brain, emotoin benefits from the activity and the enviroment. My buddies and I don't even keep score when we play together as that would just suck the fun out of it, they aren't to good tho lol. For the most part I only keep score when I'm in serious mode going solo and other then that it's a good experience to have to disconnect from the world for a lil bit.

I think playing a tourney would be cool but I'm so used to playing a course quick and trecking around quickly and chucking 5 discs at a hard hole that I just don't think I'd have the discipline to wait for other people to throw. I JUST WANNA PLAY AND THROW FRISBEES MAAAAAANNNNN!! LOL

Discgolf is cardio and a zen mode thing for me that I do just for a regular exercises sense there are so many health, brain, emotoin benefits from the activity and the enviroment. My buddies and I don't even keep score when we play together as that would just suck the fun out of it, they aren't to good tho lol. For the most part I only keep score when I'm in serious mode going solo and other then that it's a good experience to have to disconnect from the world for a lil bit.

I think playing a tourney would be cool but I'm so used to playing a course quick and trecking around quickly and chucking 5 discs at a hard hole that I just don't think I'd have the discipline to wait for other people to throw. I JUST WANNA PLAY AND THROW FRISBEES MAAAAAANNNNN!! LOL

I started out like this, playing once every few weeks with friends as work would allow, then got laid off and started taking it serious. Playing tournaments, hosting tournaments, working at a disc golf brick and mortor even. Then I eventually grew tired of all weekend events, $60+ a tournament to win plastic I already had, other players making it not fun, etc.that is when I actually played well enough to to turn in scrip. Now ai'm where I started and wherr you are now; playing with friends, not getting too serious and stressed about not playing well or whatever. When my friend still lived here we would have one day, $5 tournaments that all went to charity under the PDGA C/X tier or whatever, I've forgotten. Get ratings, spend one day only playing, and help out the community all in one swoop. Aw those were the good ol' days of disc golf for me. :)

How long do people usually play, or what score do they usually become consistent with, before looking for tournaments to play in?

It does vary so much. The first time a buddy of mine saw baskets was at his first sanctioned event.

Latest posts