• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Blizzard Technology

I got a 134 gram Blizzard Destroyer in the mail over the weekend, and have been throwing it a fair amount since then. Here are my thoughts.

First off -- I throw (RHBH) a 167g Pro Destroyer as my main max-distance driver. Which I can get to a max distance of probably 380. So I am not a big arm, just sort of medium. I probably went a little too light with my Blizzard weight, but I wanted something that could, um, float, I guess.

First throws with this thing -- tons of grip lock issues. Disc would sail far, far to the right, and very, very high up in the air (but always cut hard left at the end). Once I figured out how to throw it without yanking it to the right, I was consistently having the issue of it floating up in the air before cutting very hard left. Despite my fantasies of throwing this thing 450 or 500 feet (haha), it went about as far as my regular Destroyer and appeared to be a LOT more nose angle sensitive.

As I've been throwing it more, I've encountered some conditions where the disc seems to work really well. Namely -- with a tailwind. This eliminates the extreme nose angle sensitivity, and I can somewhat consistently get about 20 extra feet of distance compared to my other Destroyer.

In short: finicky. even in, like 3mph of headwind. very nose angle sensitive -- will rise up on you. Surprisingly stable -- very hard low speed fade. Potentially excellent in a tailwind -- eliminates extreme nose angle sensitivity, goes further, relatively less effort (maybe).

Other notes: this disc has absolutely no bubbles in the flight plate. All of them are in the rim. The rim is absolutely, without a doubt, less durable than normal champion plastic. I would put it more on par with Pro plastic rim durability. Also, very domey -- poppy top.

Kind of confused why the apparent goal is to not have bubbles in the flight plate -- wouldn't less weight in the flight plate make the disc more gyroscopic? What is the rationale here?

From what I understand there are a large % of messed up discs when the bubbles are in the flight plate...maybe it is because the plate is so thin, that it is hard to trap bubbles with-out them popping through. There are way less deformaties when all the bubbles are in the rim.

If you don't have clean form, you won't get anything out of these.

Absolutely.

Just like throwing a comet long distances. If your form is crap, it'll make a nice roller. If your form is clean, you can get some serious D (400'+) with comets. I see blizz plastic to be the same.

I'm interested in buying a couple of these... but I have a question. On sites like DGC and DN, what do they call day-glo. Is it the yellow, or light green?

Threw my 153 Bliz Boss for the first time today. I am a FH dominant player and I had no problem throwing it full power FH without flipping it. I was pleasantly surprised about how stable it is and was getting 30 feet more distance than I was with my usual distance driver, a 175 star destroyer, with a couple touching 500ft (thrown on a football field from 30 ft behind the goalpost to waaaay past the other goal post). I was also surprised on how well it handled a decent headwind. It should be noted though that I live at 5500ft elevation so discs fly generally more stable here than at lower elevations so that my play a role in it's stability. Overall after one field test, I couldn't be happier with them.

I'm interested in buying a couple of these... but I have a question. On sites like DGC and DN, what do they call day-glo. Is it the yellow, or light green?

Its that highlighter color. Its like a really bright green yellow color, and I would suggest going with disc golf center for ordering discs. They have free shipping and their prices are usually lower than most anyways.

I love my wraith, but I totally agree with everyone else. With lighter discs, if you have nose-up issues, the disc glides UP more than their heavier counterparts. But that is simple physics, I was expecting that before I even threw them. I am exited for the possibility of cleaning up my form by throwing these a lot, mainly because nose up is my main issue.

DAMN these are nice discs! I've been throwing a Blizzard Wraith and I can't wait to try a Destroyer and Boss. I've been trying to not tinker with my bag too much and keep the same setup but I had to make room for at least one blizzard disc. Its not a go to driver for every drive but I find myself using it more and more and I enjoy throwing it. It does certain things very well. I use it a lot for long, low ceiling throws. I don't have to put as much into it so I can concentrate more on accuracy and it glides forever. More testing needs done but I'm liking it so far!

So why throw max weight?

I throw mainly 175gm Star Destroyers. I have to seriously throw them at full power to keep it on the line I want and sometimes I'll hit 425ft. Today I threw my buddies 155gm Blizzard Boss, and all I could say is WOW. I easily threw my max distance on two throws with relative ease. I don't know who convinced me to always throw max weight, but I think I'm going to start throwing lighter plastic. I'm curious to see how the wind effects the flight. I promised myself to stop buying discs now that I have about 150 in my closet, but I may have to break that promise, trade some discs and get my hands on these light weight Blizzards.

Wind will affect lighter discs more. However, I think you would do yourself some good to throw lighter. Even if you aren't throwing blizzards all the time, I would think that you should pick up some mid 160's.

I've been throwing my F2 blizzard wraith for a few weeks now and I'm in LOVE. I'm not the best player so I have form issues. At 85-90% power it turns over but at 65-70% it flies like a dream. Best distance I've gotten consistently ever. I'm slowly working it up and thinking more about the dynamics of the disc flight. I'm hoping to be throwing max power by summer and have those nasty nose up issues I'm fighting now.

This is far from a fair review but

I was out Disc Golfing today and ran into a guy throwing a Blizzard Boss. He let me give it a test throw and I was very impressed. The weight takes some getting used to but I ripped it. I was shocked and very impressed with both the distance and the flight. It probably added 40 feet to my drive, I will own a few very soon.

To be fair I only got to throw it once so I can't be sure and I don't exactly light the world on fire with my drives anyway. I typically throw a Boss 300-320 but this one was probably closer to 350. I was blown away.

I was out today with a bliz 150 boss, 149 destroyer, and 149 katana. My usuall driving distance is in the 325 range. I haven't had any luck with the boss but im getting 350 out of the destroyer using 75% power. I threw the katana on a 365 ft with slight hyzer around a group of trees, and almost got a skip ace, it bounced up off the basket :doh: the destroyer was within 10 feet too. Both discs were in a place I have never been on that hole :). It gonna take a few more rounds to get them figured out but so far, I'm drinking the cool aid. I'm liking the fact that by powering down, I have more control and focus on form!

I threw one today, a 138 Boss. It flew ok, but like I was expecting the rip was a little later than I am used too. It was only one throw, but felt like a good throw for me, and I was expecting a later release, and got it. It didn't out drive my favorite distance drive an 167 pro Valky+

One of the real noodle arms thew one of the furthes throws I've ever seen from him by far with it though.

Maybe it's just me, but seems like it would affect your timing switching back and forth with heavier discs and then the lighter ones all the time?

Maybe it's just me, but seems like it would affect your timing switching back and forth with heavier discs and then the lighter ones all the time?

The way I see it, this forces you to concentrate on your form and the point of snap/release as well as your follow through. It may take some adjustment as learning anything new does, but it should only make you a better golfer in the end to be able to throw different weights of discs.

The way I see it, this forces you to concentrate on your form and the point of snap/release as well as your follow through. It may take some adjustment as learning anything new does, but it should only make you a better golfer in the end to be able to throw different weights of discs.

This. Once you're able to transition between the two as if they were the same exact disc, you'll have amazing control with your form.

I've got a 137 and 150 Boss, and two 156-158 Katanas coming to me. Saw my first one today on the course, some guy who I see around a lot but isn't very good threw a really nice drive I wasn't expecting him to throw.. Found out it was a Blizz Wraith, so now I'm more excited than ever.

is it just me that thinks the discs look funny?

Just now got a chance to hold one, the bubble rims crack me up and holy crap it feels light