• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Blizzard Technology

My fiancé picked up probably 30 feet of extra D with her hot pink 137 wraith. She normally doesn't throw far and it's hard to convince her to try new discs so I was pretty surprised she actually threw and liked this wraith. It was probably the bubbles that won her over, it just looks so funny.

tried a couple

I tried a couple of blizzard Bosses over the weekend. The local shop was nearly sold out and completely picked over, so I got what was left: a 137 Boss and a 150 Boss. The only Wraith they had was a 150 and it was crazy domey. They had one Katana left, but the wing had too many lines in it from the bubbles to pass my smell test for a new disc. That, and I've given up on the Katana for being too sensitive to nose angle.

Both Bosses had bubbles throughout the rim and flight plate. I brought them both out to warmup before our Saturday morning handicap round and let everyone who was interested give them a few throws. The 150 Boss was as stable as a max weight non-blizzard Boss, no stand up from anyone there, even the longer arm guys. It was very gently used, so it (only?) cost me $13. The previous owner, who I know, went in and bought a bunch, tried them out, and brought them all back. The 137 Boss flipped up a bit, and for a few folks added significant distance, but didn't outperform my usual drives by much. At the end of the day, neither disc was amazing to me, and certainly not enough to change my game. Plus when I followed either one with a 170-175g disc, my release timing was way off. It took some concentration to straighten that out. I don't need those kinds of problems.

I bought the 137 Boss new for $15 and sold it on the spot for $12 to one of my buddies who liked it. I'll probably unload the 150 locally for $10 once I find a buyer. [Please don't PM me telling me you want a deal. I don't want to deal with shipping it. I want to sell it locally and get cash. The marketplace is great, but I don't have the time to deal with it for one disc. Thanks.]

When I went into the store, I was hoping for a couple of 139 Wraiths for long hyzer flips on a local course with lots of water, since they will float. I'll probably just order one online for now, whenever I can do so, and wait to see how it performs before trying to stock up.

I just went to one of the local courses on my lunch break to test the 138 Boss out some more. With the wind to my back, this thing out drives anything in my bag by 30+ feet. Ends fairly straight too. Against the wind is a different story. Always goes anny on me into the wind. One of my throws cut pretty hard and may have ended up being a roller if the treeline hadn't have stopped it. My CFR Katana is still my most consistent driver.

Tried mine out yesterday:
139 Boss: a bit flippeir out of the box than a barnd new new R-Pro 150 Boss, but not super flippy (for a noodle arm). It did fight a stiff headwind pretty well; turned over a bit, but not a lot, didn't ruin my drive.

139 Wraith: Flippy, more so than a 168 Champ Archon. I think this might be a nice tailwind driver or long S-shot. Horrible into similar headwind that the Boss seemed to handle above - took it waaay off the intended line.

Stay tuned for future test results...
:popcorn:

Last edited:
I've hit a couple trees and nothing but tiny scuff marks.

1 thing noticed, they do not get thru brush or trees very well. Had 1 get snagged in some branches in a tree and it didn't drop down.... definitely think the light weight affected that.

Anybody tried using them for rollers yet?

IMO, light discs do not roll well because they bounce around too easily. Heavy discs will tend to roll over obstacles and keep going while light stuff seems to pop off the ground and lose a bunch of speed. I haven't thrown mine on roller lines yet, but I don't think that I will have much success.

I just got my first blizzard disc, a wraith literally about 20 minutes ago in the mail and the top isn't domed or flat. It's concave... Is this normal with Blizzard discs or do I have a bad disc?

IMG_20120227_151830.jpg

Ha, that's not good.

I just got my first blizzard disc, a wraith literally about 20 minutes ago in the mail and the top isn't domed or flat. It's concave... Is this normal with Blizzard discs or do I have a bad disc?

http://s1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii536/the_pwnerator/?action=view&current=IMG_20120227_151830.jpg

Edit: I don't know why I can't get my pictures to show up. I use the photo link button but it just gives me the thumbnail of a triangle circle and square?

My girl wan't some to try so of course I got some for myself too. Out of the 5 we got all are pop top domey and none of them are concave whatsoever. I can throw 400+ consistantley and i'll I can say is the little 149g Boss I got is bombing! I field tested it and it was going 20-40ft further than anything else I normally throw. The 157g Katana was a tad more stable than I expected, but I can't wait for it to break in a little. I was a little hesitant about these when I first heard of them, but wow i'm a believer now. Just like some of the above posts sead about late releasing I was doing the same thing at first. I found that if I grip them a little less than I normally do it helped with that. These blizzards discs are legit! Bllizzard Star in the future?

Last edited:
My girl wan't some to try so of course I got some for myself too. Out of the 5 we got all are pop top domey and none of them are concave whatsoever. I can throw 400+ consistantley and i'll I can say is the little 149g Boss I got is bombing! I field tested it and it was going 20-40ft further than anything else I normally throw. The 157g Katana was a tad more stable than I expected, but I can't wait for it to break in a little. I was a little hesitant about these when I first heard of them, but wow i'm a believer now. Just like some of the above posts sead about late releasing I was doing the same thing at first. I found that if I grip them a little less than I normally do it helped with that. These blizzards discs are legit!

Which ones are your girl throwing and has it helped her distance out? Think these might help my girl with some distance

i hit to many trees think theses discs will get trashed way to easy banging into trees?

Depends on how they hit the trees and the particular discs. I have seen a few get tore up rather quickly and likely because it hit a pocket of bubbles that were probably near the surface.

Of my four Bosses, three show nothing more than a few minor scuffs. However, my fourth, the lightest of the bunch, has one noticeable rough spot on the rim from where it smacked into a tree rather hard and then was shot onto the hard ground. My friend's 127 Katana is just absolutely chewed up after two rounds on a wooded course.

Honestly, as much as I like them for easy distance and more control, I am not going to use them on anything but holes where they are likely going to land on grass. If I am concerned about hitting trees, then getting distance really is not my main concern. I have better discs for hitting tight gaps and staying in the fairway.

Which ones are your girl throwing and has it helped her distance out? Think these might help my girl with some distance

Something like a 150 Valk or Teebird is probably better for beginners or girls with smaller hands, both in terms of distance and control. These are still wide rimmed drivers.

It's concave... Is this normal with Blizzard discs or do I have a bad disc?

Easily fixed. Boil water, let it sit a few seconds and pour it over the inverted disc in a bowl or cake pan. Let it rest for a minute or two. Pull the disc out, push the dome back to original position and run under cold water. Just used the trick last week.

Something like a 150 Valk or Teebird is probably better for beginners or girls with smaller hands, both in terms of distance and control. These are still wide rimmed drivers.

just got a valk the other day for her read that it was "girl friendly" lol