• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Blizzard Technology

Finally got to chuck some "bubble plastic" today. Bought me a 139 and 141 Blizzard Wraith. Results were inconclusive, but after throwing 170ish discs for as long as I've been playing, I think I need to teach myself to lay back on these a bit instead of trying to crush them to get better results.

Yeah. It is hard to get used to. I carry a 134g Wraith.. I won't use it often.. But it made the bag. Can't imagine needing two blizzard discs. Especially in that close of a range.

Winston-Salem
wndq18818.png

Your head winds are generally weaker than most other people's head winds fwiw.

lol that made me look at my local. Wanna trade wind?

wndq25823.png

I guess I am late to the Blizzard, having been courting everything Lat 64 lately.

I've been throwing Wraiths as a FH distance driver since I started playing golf --which is not that long ago. I bought, in Blizzard, a 149g and 139g a few weeks ago, and boy howdy are they in the bag.

I'm old, and trashed my arm and shoulder throwing all that heavy stuff to start learning disc golf. Then I found the Star 150 Sidewinder and a love of lighter discs. My shoulder is so much happier!
And I've learned to throw smarter with my skill set-- I'll never be a bomber; I know this.

That said, these two little drivers have been a game-changer for me. This is significant as a relative newb to this game because I'm not very good yet. At 50, my window for improving is narrow.

A few weeks ago I only ever forehanded Wraiths, usually Star low 60's, as a staple in my bag. Now I'm using these light Blizzards, BH & FH, on a lot more drives, and with less run-up. I am getting my same or slightly better distance with a more deliberate release.

I think the best part may be performance into the wind. This surprises me a lot. These light guys really reliably fight their way back (BH) across a headbreeze into which I wouldn't dream of throwing the Sidewinder, but with no distance dropoff.

If it sounds like I'm shilling for them, I'm sorry. The even lighter weight disc in Champion plastic has improved my game that quickly. I was truly not expecting that.

Well, threw my new Blizzards for the first time today and all I have to say is WOW! I easily added 40 feet on most of my drives right out of the box. I don't throw very hard and have always had trouble with speed drivers (as expected). I liked the 150 Wraith the most. It would hold a nice line forever and tail a little to the left at the end. The 150 Destroyer worked well when I needed an overstable right to left drive. The Destroyer for me seemed way more overstable than the Wraith. I only threw the Katana a couple times and they were both terrible throws, so I'm not sure how I like that one yet. I drove with the Dest and Wraith for almost every hole that I could and shot my ass off today. My first round was a 58 and my second round was a 53. Over two hundred rounds on my home course and I average 60, so I'm pretty happy right now. Most of it had to do with the extra distance. I was putting for 2 a lot more than usual too. Too bad my putting sucks right now. So initially I love the Blizzard! Can't wait to throw them again to see if I get the same results!

I shook my head at these discs a few months ago when they showed up at our local pro shop. But then I took the amateur CTP's for the last 2 weeks now at our local club doubles at park circle. Both awarded discs have been Blizzards. My drive is about 275-300ft max and overnight it has gone to 325+. 25 to 50 feet is huge for someone that has a hard time getting long. I'm 40 and not getting any younger... I give this new technology a thumbs up.

My son parked Hole #16 at Pueblo City Park today on it's long placement with a Blizzard he won at a recent tourney. He used some winnings to get a 150 Blizzard Katana. Today was it's maiden voyage, 552 feet! He parked it! Needless to say, after seeing this and using my Bliz Wraith for awhile now, I do believe Blizzard is the real deal and not just a gimmick.

I traded my blizzard Boss away for a C-line PD (172). I feel like I got the better of the deal. Feeling a little guilty.

I'm sure the blizzard discs are great. I'm happy for all of you that love them. I'll stick with drivers with speeds 6 to 12, that weigh in the 160 to 173 range. (except for my 155 Diamond in tailwinds).

The Blizzard sucks.. It is way to Understable for me.. Seriously I think I have to big of a arm for it. I can't power down to 60%. If you have a weak arm then the discs are great but it's wayyyyy to light for me.

When I'm throwing a blizzard it means I'm going for max distance, I put full power into my blizzard bosses and they handle it just fine. They're definitely extra sensitive to oat and nose angle issues compared to their heavier counterparts, so it can be tricky to throw cleanly enough to get good results at full power.

The Blizzard sucks.. It is way to Understable for me.. Seriously I think I have to big of a arm for it. I can't power down to 60%. If you have a weak arm then the discs are great but it's wayyyyy to light for me.
No offense but it sounds like you need to work on your form.

Bottom line: is this the blizzard gonna do me any good if I'm currently not throwing any drivers - only throwing a teebird about 300-325 at the moment?

Yes, you are probably way too powerful and strong for these. Avery and David Wiggins can throw them only because they have noodle arms.

It sounds like you think "The Blizzard" is a disc. Which model is too understable for you? The ultralight Katana was WAY flippy for me, but then I started throwing it from a standstill with hyzer and it'll go 380 for me which is my max D with a Destroyer at a run. It's a bit erratic, but crazy long for a throw with no run up.

Would you say it could be because I am throwing a Wraith?? Maybe the Ape or Boss would fly much better?? I am thinking about going up a few grams.. I have a 134g Wraith..

Would you say it could be because I am throwing a Wraith?? Maybe the Ape or Boss would fly much better?? I am thinking about going up a few grams.. I have a 134g Wraith..

Bingo.
I'd recommend the Boss or destroyer.
The apes are hit and miss... mine is a hyzer flip machine, but I've heard stories of others being meat hooks... I'd recommend moving up to a heavier one too (150ish)

Bingo.
I'd recommend the Boss or destroyer.
The apes are hit and miss... mine is a hyzer flip machine, but I've heard stories of others being meat hooks... I'd recommend moving up to a heavier one too (150ish)

I would throw it flat and it would just go right instantly every single time. I got one clean throw off with it where it went far and faded to the right a bit.. Then I had another one where the wind picked it up and the disc got stranded on an island.. I got it without too much trouble.. Aggrivated my turf burn though..

I think I will do the Boss. My friend doesn't think I can get it up to speed and says I should get a 130g.. I am thinking about doing a 146 or 147g Boss. Sound good or No? I should be able to throw it full power right?

Latest posts