• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Blizzard Technology

Played doubles tonight, and everybody had a blizzard disc or three in their bag. I had a chance to throw a few, and while they were fun, I don't think that I quite have the distance for them yet.

Isn't the point of a blizzard disc to make it easier for noodle arms to throw far?:confused:

Played doubles tonight, and everybody had a blizzard disc or three in their bag. I had a chance to throw a few, and while they were fun, I don't think that I quite have the distance for them yet.

What kind of distance do you have? My girlfriend was consistently getting 260-280 with a 150 valk, I got her a 130 blizzard wraith and she's getting an extra 20' on average with a handful of 325'ish throws.

Loving my Bliz Destroyer (150g bright green)! Almost all the bubbles are in the flight plate with very few in the rim and the thing has a massive dome. I've been trying to phase out high speed (12 - 13) discs, but its just so easy to get distance with it. I can get most of my drivers out to 300ft, but the Destroyer is consistently 25 - 30ft. further.

I typically throw max weight only; every disc in my bag is 174g+ right now. What range would you guys recommend for a Blizzard Boss? I really want to try them out and check the hype, but can't afford to buy several different weights. Should I go to the extreme and buy a low 130s, or keep with my trend and by a max weight of Blizzard, like high 150s?

I typically throw max weight only; every disc in my bag is 174g+ right now. What range would you guys recommend for a Blizzard Boss? I really want to try them out and check the hype, but can't afford to buy several different weights. Should I go to the extreme and buy a low 130s, or keep with my trend and by a max weight of Blizzard, like high 150s?

A ~150g. Some of the lighter flatter Bosses are way understable.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of line are you looking for? Do you like to throw hyzer flips for max D or are you looking for something you can throw on distance anhyzer/flex shots and power hyzers.

For long range finesse hyzer flips I would try a 155 katana. For long turnover or flex shots the 155 boss works great. For added stability go 155 destroyer. Either way I would go for the domey ones if there is any options. I have only thrown a few flat blizzard but they feel and fly a bit different.

So my questions is... Look at what technology in club and ball improvements have done to most of the existing ball courses in the USA. Most older courses are now obsolete because everyone is hitting 300 yard drives then a pitching wedge – or chipping on to the green - to a par 4.

If the disc technology keeps making these huge leaps forward... How many disc golf courses are going to be obsolete?

Is this a "good" thing for disc golf right now?

A lot of older courses are already obsolete, I'm not sure how much of a real difference the blizzard stuff makes in that. When a lot of our courses are fairly open and average under 300', even fairway drivers take a lot of the distance challenge away. It's not a bad point overall, I just think that we're way past that point and the latest advancements are marginal compared to going from cyclones as max distance drivers to the plethora of speed 12 and 13 discs available now.

So my questions is... Look at what technology in club and ball improvements have done to most of the existing ball courses in the USA. Most older courses are now obsolete because everyone is hitting 300 yard drives then a pitching wedge – or chipping on to the green - to a par 4.

If the disc technology keeps making these huge leaps forward... How many disc golf courses are going to be obsolete?

This has already happened over the years. Have you ever played a course that was designed more than 20 years ago? At those times, your max distance wasn't anywhere near what it is today.

This has already happened over the years. Have you ever played a course that was designed more than 20 years ago? At those times, your max distance wasn't anywhere near what it is today.
i play at a course a lot that you can easily shoot under par with a putter. fun, but not real challenging.

I don't buy the obsolete course theory. Ball or disc golf. You still have to make the shots. Courses might not be fun to play casual rounds on I suppose because it could be nothing but a birdie fest. However, the course our club plays the most is a short fairly wide open course. 3's are almost like bogies. Plus there are a few oppurtunities to get knocked down early and really risk 4's.

What I am saying is, you still have to make the shots regardless of distance.

How did you do that?

I heard flipping the disc upside down and putting hot water on it will help, is that what you did?

Lay down a cookie sheet on a flat surface. Boil water. place disc upside down centered. pour water in disc to the top. put a pan or pot on it for a little bit of weight. if you want it flatter add books to weigh it down.

In my opinion, Blizzard discs don't raise the ceiling for how long most golfers throw; what they do is allow us noodle-arms to actually be able to throw high-speed discs and get an extra few feet. I don't think it makes anything obsolete.

After reading these forums for a while, I consider myself a noodle arm. Football field average max distance is around 340 with a 168 pro wraith or 164 star wraith. I was hitting 350 on my longest throws with a 167 pro boss (not r-pro).

Today I hit the football field with a bliz wraith and bliz katana, both low 150's. With a slight tailwind I hit 360 with my pro and star wraiths today, but I hit 373 with the bliz katana and 380 with the bliz wraith.

All that to say... I believe the lighter weight helps some of us get the discs going faster, and even with a light tailwind you also get more glide / carry from a lighter disc.

Latest posts