• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Buzzz not fading?

Discspeed is pro?

I could very wellbe wrong, but I thought discspeed, frank, and beato are all am.

All the Pros I know who "let the discs do the work" throw with a hyzer release........

Barry is a prime example as he carried like 10 Rocs with the same exact form.

Discspeed is pro?

I could very wellbe wrong, but I thought discspeed, frank, and beato are all am.

Discspeed is surely an open player, Frank is a scrub;) and Beto just finished in the top 20 in open at the Majestic (ahead of Avery)

Thanks Jesse. I was basing beato from him being at am nats. Glad to hear of such a good finish.

Not trying to take anything away from any of these guys, I just think many people assume being on dgr equates to being 1000 rated.

Thanks Jesse. I was basing beato from him being at am nats. Glad to hear of such a good finish.

Not trying to take anything away from any of these guys, I just think many people assume being on dgr equates to being 1000 rated.

Nah just 990

:) to be fair they weren't playing big open courses;)

Also the Majestic needs to get A LOT harder!!!!!

I heard complaints when I played there about it being too easy and though adding BRP would make it better but supposedly it is just a birdie fest as well.......when I played it casually (1 time) it was AWESOME in the way it was maintained but when I think back it wasn't very hard.

I wasn't assuming ANYTHING about anyone's ratings. I know discspeed is quite knowledgable about his stuff, which is why I mentioned him. Even though my rating doesn't show it at the moment (950s from 3 years ago), my real and latest rounds average probably just south of 1000.

I tend to throw from a very slight hyzer release. Since you can really never consider any throw to be truly "flat" (always either anny or hyzer), mine is slight hyzer. Hmm. Since you say that most pros that let the discs work throw with hyzer, how much? Is it disc dependent, or is there a "standard amount" of hyzer that one uses? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I am very curious about it.

I've played several rounds with Dave Greenwell and he does throw with a hzyer release a majority of time. Most likely this is from years of throwiing very understable plastic (and he still throws very understable plastic like the sidewinder, stingray, condor, etc). You've given me some things to think about and practice. Thanks again.

30 degrees on average would be my best guess.

I've been watching Climo a bit lately and noticed he does that a lot. I have paid a bit more attention lately and found that I do throw with a little more hyzer than I originally thought. Not 30 degrees worth, but probably 15 or so.

I appreciate all the help, guys! :hfive:

In my expierence w/ wasps, the first runs were massivly overstable, the new stamp seems more overstable then the ones from a year or two ago( stamp at top and bottom- empty middle)

This makes sense. I've seen people throwing the newer ones and they do look more overstable, and the last time I was throwing them I was using the ones without the bar stamp.

Discspeed is pro?

I play open, and I've played directly against some of the best players ever to throw a disc. That being said, I suck under pressure and at tournament golf in general. I wish it was different, and I wish I could do something to dramatically change that, but I probably can't. It does not diminish my enthusiasm for the sport though.

What a player is rated means much less about what they can teach you than it would seem. I've been surpassed by players that didn't know their discs, proper decision making, or any number of techniques discussed ad nauseaum on disc golf discussion boards. I've been beaten by people whom I was better than skill-wise in every way. I've one upped Climo on many holes in casual golf. However, in a tournament it doesn't matter what you CAN do, its what you DO do, and I don't seem to be able to pull myself together in these situations and play anywhere near my level. I can't say I like this, but I've accepted that I just don't have that cutthroat competetiveness and steadfast nerve that it takes to be a great competitor. My meager rating has nothing to do with my skills, form, or ability to teach people, let alone my abnormal interest in discs and flight. It just means that when stakes are high as in a tournament, I'm not in my element.

So I don't give much advice on how to win Open tournaments or perform under pressure. I've watched in amazement as great players have done this, but I cannot say exactly how they do it. I can however throw a disc with considerable precision and skill and comment on it's flight.

PS...Rereading that I sound a little harsh on myself. I have had a lot of success on the Adv level where my skills were superior enough to not let my head get in my way and I should be content. However, in the Open division where I'm playing against guys with similar tools, I've gotten owned.:doh:

I've been watching Climo a bit lately and noticed he does that a lot. I have paid a bit more attention lately and found that I do throw with a little more hyzer than I originally thought. Not 30 degrees worth, but probably 15 or so.

I appreciate all the help, guys! :hfive:
Just as a side note for the rest of the people reading, my guess is, and hopefully Scoot_er and/or discspeed can confirm or deny this, but most of the good open players throw most golf shots with a hyzer regardless of whether or not they're letting the disc do the work or if they're shaping the shots themselves.

I'd also guess that most of the really good ones who do let the disc do the work can shape shots if needed. They just choose not to.

Do those sound right to people who are/play with pros?

Just as a side note for the rest of the people reading, my guess is, and hopefully Scoot_er and/or discspeed can confirm or deny this, but most of the good open players throw most golf shots with a hyzer regardless of whether or not they're letting the disc do the work or if they're shaping the shots themselves.

I'd also guess that most of the really good ones who do let the disc do the work can shape shots if needed. They just choose not to.

Do those sound right to people who are/play with pros?

Yeah, Climo almost always uses a hyzer release. He explained to me once how a hyzer release is more consistently accurate than a flatter throw: Take Climo's preferred release of around 30 degrees of hyzer. His stroke and follow through goes from low to high as he moves laterally when he spins. He releases as his arm is moving upward and his wrist opens up upward. With this release, if he is slightly late or early, the height/nose angle is affected. However, the forward momentum/line of his shot is not very affected. He may not get the exact flight he was looking for, but unless it is a very technical hole, he is still going to hit the gap and get down the fairway.

Now compare that to a flat(or almost flat) release. This release stays level as you spin and finishes left to right (assuming righty). If this release is late, there is no buffer moving upward, and the shot gets pulled to the right. Also, since the arm is level, the wrist is free to roll, adding another opportunity for error. Either of these mistakes lands you off the fairway or has you missing your gap. Throwing anhyzer also possesses similar advantages over throwing flat.

As far as most the pros I play with...Letting the disc do the work means throwing with your most comfortable form, angles, and speed and having discs that respond accordingly. If a course allows, you will see very boring golf from Climo as he will throw the same hyzer again, again, and again. These guys can shape lines and throw with other angles, but only when the percentages for success vs. chance of error dictates that they do so.

Thanks for the insights, DS. As I said earlier, I think I throw with more hyzer than I was thinking I was. Thinking back to the last round I played, I hit the vast majority of gaps I was going for and when the disc released, it was hyzered (even on straight holes). Sometimes it flattened (buzzz, comet), sometimes it didn't (roc), depending on what I wanted.

I hadn't thought of it in terms of hitting gaps. That's a very wise and prudent thing to keep scoring low. I'll really watch this when it cools off some here! (Supposed to be right at 100 until the weekend...yick.)

Thanks for the great discussion here guys, I've enjoyed reading this, and I may have even learned something.

Latest posts