• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Catrina Allen Prediction Thread

Perhaps she will go the 'Drew Gibson' route and get Infinite Discs as a sponsor so that she can throw whatever discs she wants.

I think it possible that she is tired for competing for 2nd place. Let's face it, in the FPO world, PP is dominating right now.

We're all still blown away with how amazing, incredible, clutch, insert adjective of your choice here, The Shot, and Conrad's win was, but...

FPO had some drama of its own, and I just wanted to give Cat another shout for never giving up, believing in herself, and winning her 2nd World's.

It wasn't always pretty, but winning is often about finding ways to persevere and gut it out despite shots not going your way and putts not finding the bottom of the basket.

She's a 2x Champ and I'm happy for her.

Last edited:
Well-stated @BogeyNoMore. Cat's W/L ratio with Paige doesn't accurately reflect the epic battles we've seen between these two for nearly a decade. That second world title is a milestone in her career and helps cement her place in disc golf history as one of the best females to ever play the game.

If the men's final had played out differently, with Paul taking the win on the 18th hole, a good chance exists we would be talking about the women's final as the primary narrative.

It's almost the exact same scenario. Down 1, have to birdie, world championship on the line, spectators and cameras everywhere, OB on all sides of the green and around the circle, and Cat goes for everything.

And puts it within putting range.

That is a champion's shot. All of the pressure now on Paige, especially given the troubles Paige had on that hole in previous rounds. It is interesting because the supposed narrative is here is Paige taking the par to force Cat to make the putt, but that's not how it played out at all. All of the momentum shifted in that moment.

Beautiful turn of events. It is unfortunate that Paige went OB on her third shot, but that's what pressure does. That's why Eric Hosmer successfully made it home in Game 5 of the 2015 World Series - put the pressure on your opponent to not lose. It's difficult to successfully play to not lose.

With the biggest prize on the line, with a must make play, sometimes pressure completely upends the narrative.

All props to Cat. What a finish.

Quite insightful. "Playing not to lose" is not the same as "playing to win." They're very different mindsets.

Paige was playing not to lose and that can mess with your head.

I think Catrina has been battling against Catrina for a long time now. It seems like she may have really found her way through that and once someone overcomes their stuff, there isnt much of anything that they cant overcome. This could be the start of something really special for her. I cant wait to see what happens!

Men's? There's a men's division now?

By the strictest interpretation of the "Mixed Professional Open" division? No.

All things taken into consideration, the MPO division is functionally speaking the men's division, a handful of exceptions aside for things like USDGC spots or smaller events where the available pool of players makes a mixed division the only option. And Kelsey Brakel, who is a beast.

I was so pleased to see Catrina win the WC this year. I've been saying for years that she is the best thrower with the most well rounded game in the FPO field - and she'd win another WC when she got the putting yips worked out. While we can all see that she still has some issues there, her consistency and shotmaking ability keeps her in every tournament she plays, and it's so fun to watch. She putted fairly well, and her shot on 18 was absolutely amazing, as was how she attacked that hole all week. 370' turnover shot at elevation, the difficulty level even with no pressure is huge

Quite insightful. "Playing not to lose" is not the same as "playing to win." They're very different mindsets.

Paige was playing not to lose and that can mess with your head.
Playing to not lose and playing to win, while different strategically, mess with your head in the same way. We saw Paige earlier in the event playing to win, and it blew up in her face all the same - see the final 5 holes of r3 and r4. The key thing is that Cat seemed to make Paige play "to do something" other than simply executing the shot. It feels like Paige did the same thing to herself earlier. You play to execute the shot in front of you, full stop, regardless of the shot you choose.

I think Paige and cat have very different strengths…..cat is way better at hitting lines of the tee and place her up shots near the basket.
Paige have more distance and is way more confident in her putt….her long putts are insane, the fact that she hit two in a row from the DZ on 16 is a testament to that.

But when Cat stands on the Tee with a small gap in front of her, I think she will hit it…..with Paige it can be the best drive of the card..or first available tree
But when Paige have o close putt I'm not really worried….I am with Cat

When I played with Paige and Cat years ago, one thing that struck me was Cat's tendency towards throwing hyzer flips, whereas Paige threw more flex shots. I think it's easier to hit a gap with a hyzer flip, but Paige really practiced parking the basket. Her putting has improved so much since then. I remember Cat being the better putter, maybe that's changed?

Beauty!

Attachments

• A97B36BD-A946-4FB1-BD58-E20FC466FF09.jpg
    A97B36BD-A946-4FB1-BD58-E20FC466FF09.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 51FD8E43-78BC-4836-AA1F-71B0AD214350.jpg
    51FD8E43-78BC-4836-AA1F-71B0AD214350.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 31
Solid interview with Cat. She really shares my take on the Europeans first year back in the States....about 23:00 mark.

Latest posts