• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Catrina Allen Prediction Thread

DiscFifty

Banned
This was one of the first videos I saw of Catrina. She can bomb! Look at that smile, that enthusiasm, etc, etc. :clap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJpLqFGR0W4

But...there's some talk about her attitude on the course the past year (or so?). And that smile of hers seems to be getting less airplay all the time. We witnessed somewhat similar behavior from PP last year ultimately leading to her leaving Prodigy and going with Dynamic Discs where to my eyes at least... PP seems very happy and is playing at a consistently high level.

Perhaps Cat is not happy with Prodigy anymore and wants to get out of her contract, kind of in a similar situation PP was. But for her it's even harder because her husband is part of the Prodigy team as well. I won't speculate about her personal life, that's been chewed apart already on the internet.

If she did leave Prodigy where would she go? Obviously not with DD. But...she's the #2 FPO player in the world so I'm guessing any company would be glad to have her.

I was originally thinking Innova would be a good home for her, especially so they exploit the rivalry between Innova and DD (Cat vs PP). But they already have an "Allen" as in Jennifer Allen. Discraft has Val, but I could still see Cat going there and between Val & Cat that's alot of talent to help push Discraft products to fpo players.

But...if I had to bet.. if Cat leaves Prodigy, it would have to be for Innova. I think Cat would make a great contribution to Innova's FPO team. Cat & Paul would do very well for Innova over the next few years, easily finishing in the top 5 or better at most events.

There are any number of things that could be giving her issues; family, injury, money, contract.

Too many to speculate on really. With Paige at least she made her dissatisfaction known. For all we know she could just be finding Paul's man bun distressing.

My guess is she will be fine in the long run.

Just because her level of play is high does not mean every company will necessarily want to sponsor her. Look at Nikko for example. Have you heard of Kona? She's innova sponsored but only rated like 860 or something. BUT, she is good for the sport and promotes her sponsor very well. So there are different factors, and being a frumpalumpagus isn't highly sought after.

Hope she does well. Hope everything's ok and all that. And if that's just Catrina on the course then it is what it is. There's quite a few other players that are like that too to a certain extent, so let's not completely single her out.

I think her subdued, intense attitude is just her concentrating on winning. She just seems like a focused athlete to me. The video you posted also doesent seem to be a tournament round, so she probably is more relaxed. I cant think of any tournament video I have seen of her, this year or in years past, where she is overly outgoing. I think she just doesnt like to be overly smiley or humorous when shes competing. I have played plenty of tournaments with players who shut down socially during a round, but are extremely nice and personable before and after rounds.

Within the past year, I recall Cat posted saying great things about how her sponsor takes care of her. Remember last year when she won a bajillion events? Go look at all the 1s in her 2016 finishes. Good things happen when you win.
Maybe she's just tired of her cardmates. She plays with the same couple ladies.

This was one of the first videos I saw of Catrina. She can bomb! Look at that smile, that enthusiasm, etc, etc. :clap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJpLqFGR0W4

But...there's some talk about her attitude on the course the past year (or so?). And that smile of hers seems to be getting less airplay all the time. We witnessed somewhat similar behavior from PP last year ultimately leading to her leaving Prodigy and going with Dynamic Discs where to my eyes at least... PP seems very happy and is playing at a consistently high level.

Perhaps Cat is not happy with Prodigy anymore and wants to get out of her contract, kind of in a similar situation PP was. But for her it's even harder because her husband is part of the Prodigy team as well. I won't speculate about her personal life, that's been chewed apart already on the internet.

If she did leave Prodigy where would she go? Obviously not with DD. But...she's the #2 FPO player in the world so I'm guessing any company would be glad to have her.

I was originally thinking Innova would be a good home for her, especially so they exploit the rivalry between Innova and DD (Cat vs PP). But they already have an "Allen" as in Jennifer Allen. Discraft has Val, but I could still see Cat going there and between Val & Cat that's alot of talent to help push Discraft products to fpo players.

But...if I had to bet.. if Cat leaves Prodigy, it would have to be for Innova. I think Cat would make a great contribution to Innova's FPO team. Cat & Paul would do very well for Innova over the next few years, easily finishing in the top 5 or better at most events.

She was already sponsored by Discraft. Then went to Prodigy next if I remember correctly.

^agreed^

I'd nominate this for most Sportscenter-esque thread of the year if such an award existed.

Let Cat be Cat; it'd be great to see a PP vs. Cat duel every tournament but there are so many things going on in the lives of the different athletes in our sport that we shouldn't even think we have a right to know that it doesn't really matter.

Just like how PP went to DD and seems to be enjoying life more, I wish Cat nothing but the best whether she stays with Prodigy or goes somewhere else.

Having said all that, if she were to leave Prodigy, I'd expect that she'd end up under the L64 umbrella. It seems like DD and L64 split headline players pretty evenly (DD gets McCabe, L64 gets Ricky, DD gets Drew Gibson, etc) and I could see the "trilogy" wanting to split up exposure on the FPO side between the two brands.

Its called burnout. Life, dg, not enough of the right vitamins, etc..
Having a new mindset could change things.
But that would require like a life changing event like being chased down by a grizzly bear or something like that.

Two years ago, I followed a card with Cat, PP, Val and Hokum. Cat was always off to the side, distant, while the other three joked and interacted with each other. If she's tired of her card mates, it's not anything new.

Maybe she got tired of all the Cat and Cam waterbed jokes.

Two years ago, I followed a card with Cat, PP, Val and Hokum. Cat was always off to the side, distant, while the other three joked and interacted with each other. If she's tired of her card mates, it's not anything new.

Maybe she got tired of all the Cat and Cam waterbed jokes.

Same here when I followed (and took pics) @ Nick Hyde.

Having said all that, if she were to leave Prodigy, I'd expect that she'd end up under the L64 umbrella. It seems like DD and L64 split headline players pretty evenly (DD gets McCabe, L64 gets Ricky, DD gets Drew Gibson, etc) and I could see the "trilogy" wanting to split up exposure on the FPO side between the two brands.

hmm..interesting read. Thx.

Cat is a tough competitor on the field. Cat is very sweet and friendly off the field. Cat is one of the nicest disc golfers I have ever met.

When a male is serious and quiet and not "chatting" with his card mates, he has "game face". He is being focused and competitive. You rarely hear: "He is such a #@*&% because he never spoke once the whole round and got angry after every bad shot."

When a female is serious and quiet and avoiding interaction with her card mates, folks say she has "witch face" and she is being *itchy and dour. You do hear: "She looks like such a *&@$%, because she never spoke once the whole round and grumbled after every bad shot."

Cat has "game face". It is a shame that being focused and competitive seems to be bad trait for females, yet it is positive attribute for men.

Latest posts