• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Compass midrange

I picked up two. I really want to like the Roc3, but I am having some release inconsistencies. Some throws I can pure while others will flutter and fall a bit short. If this rim is anything like a buzzz or core, without a bead (which I think is the case), I think this will become my new workhorse.

I bet Ricky threw the exact shot he wanted to. The disc just turned more than he expected which cost him some distance and a birdie.

In any case, that shot is surely not the most consistent one in those conditions and a more stable mid would've been better. I also doubt that Roc3 (the main comparison for Compass) would've turned as much.

So at the end, I was a bit disappointed to see the shot turn out as it did. Not what you expect from a workhorse mid.

It strikes me as slightly strange that you use this single example to determine that it's disappointing/not reliable as a workhorse mid, not knowing all the variables in play, rather than all of the shots that Ricky parked at De La at the Masters with his Compass.

I would argue that there isn't a course that tests how well you know and trust your discs any better than De La, and time and again the disc did exactly what he wanted to.

If you dislike the Compass and it doesn't work for you that's totally understandable, but it seems like you're making assumptions based off of a very small sample size.

It strikes me as slightly strange that you use this single example to determine that it's disappointing/not reliable as a workhorse mid, not knowing all the variables in play, rather than all of the shots that Ricky parked at De La at the Masters with his Compass.

I would argue that there isn't a course that tests how well you know and trust your discs any better than De La, and time and again the disc did exactly what he wanted to.

If you dislike the Compass and it doesn't work for you that's totally understandable, but it seems like you're making assumptions based off of a very small sample size.
Actually I quite like the Compass and could easily see it as a workhorse mid for me, an AM.

The reason I was disappointed is because I hadn't seen any shots from Ricky with a Compass into a headwind and the performance on that one shot was not what I expect from a workhorse mid. You could tell that it was not a fluke as Ricky was prepared to put a lot of hyzer to it and surely he used his least US Compass.

When you compare some of the more common workhorse mids, Compass seems to be the most understable together with maybe a Buzzz. The MD3, M2, Ghost, Roc3 and Mace all hold up to winds much better.

Surely Ricky likes the disc and he can make great shots with it, especially in calm days. There just seems to be a gap in his bag for the shot in the link. That's all I'm saying.

Surely Ricky likes the disc and he can make great shots with it, especially in calm days. There just seems to be a gap in his bag for the shot in the link. That's all I'm saying.

I know what you're meaning...nobody denies that a Buzzz is a fantastic mid but I also don't think anybody would bag 5 of them. No shame in needing a Verdict/Justice or whatever else for a Trilogy pro in addition to the Compass. I just wonder if he bags 5 and uses 5 for different shots...or if it's a promotion thing since it's his sig and he has so many. I mean I'm sure it's a great mid and I really want to try one, I just don't get having 5 of something that mellow (I would totally understand 5 Giants or Enforcers for someone with his arm).

The reason I was disappointed is because I hadn't seen any shots from Ricky with a Compass into a headwind and the performance on that one shot was not what I expect from a workhorse mid. You could tell that it was not a fluke as Ricky was prepared to put a lot of hyzer to it and surely he used his least US Compass.
I can see your point there. Although, the result wasn't bad, was it? If I remember, it was short but still in the fairway. But yeah, I can see it being a tough mold to toss in a stiff headwind, especially with Ricky's power.

When you compare some of the more common workhorse mids, Compass seems to be the most understable together with maybe a Buzzz. The MD3, M2, Ghost, Roc3 and Mace all hold up to winds much better.
I only have experience with the Roc3, but I would agree for sure.

That does make sense, I can see how if you were looking to cover every mid shot needed with one disc the Compass might not be it.

However, for the sake of arguing on the internet, you say that Ricky possibly used his least US Compass. Paul's got Roc3s that I'm sure he would never throw into any headwind, and that even flip with a strong tailwind. The fact that I can beat some turn into a Compass is actually exciting to me, as it shows there's cycling potential (albeit without the OS slot covered, as you noted). And even with the turn, Ricky still ended up in the circle, and had a much better drive than Drew Gibson who threw an OS midrange designed to hold up to wind.

I ended up buying the Opto Compass because it felt so darn good, and I bagged it for a couple rounds over the weekend. I liked it a lot more than I was expecting. It holds lines very well with no real surprises. Decently stable with a predictable fade, but still quite workable. I really enjoyed throwing it and I will definitely do more testing over the coming weeks. It is a very different disc than the Ghosts I normally bag...but could it give them a run for their money? Time will tell.

Also...Opto plastic is pretty amazing.

By the way - anyone thrown the moonshine Compass yet? I wonder if they have a bit more beef to them?

Works as a workhorse for the masses.

Ricky can just add a Bard for headwinds. :)

When you compare some of the more common workhorse mids, Compass seems to be the most understable together with maybe a Buzzz.

Wait a minute, when did we start calling the Buzzz understable:thmbdown:

BTW, I currently have three heavy Z Buzzzes in my stable mid cycle with the freshest only making the bag on big wind days.

Not to put words in anyone else's mouth, but I think that quote meant relatively understable, not absolutely understable. No, the Buzzz is not understable like a Mako3, but it can be less overstable than some other discs.

Not to put words in anyone else's mouth, but I think that quote meant relatively understable, not absolutely understable. No, the Buzzz is not understable like a Mako3, but it can be less overstable than some other discs.

I get it... I guess my z buzzzes are totally understablewhen compared to my ce whippet x ahhhh...

no

my bag is built upon the envy/proxy combo. most discs i have are longer versions of these two putters if you will. the compass slid right in where i needed it. its a longer proxy that won't turn. its in between the envy and proxy for me but longer and so money

BTW, I currently have three heavy Z Buzzzes in my stable mid cycle with the freshest only making the bag on big wind days.
It's all relative of course.

If I had said that they are the least over stable, someone would be asking "when did we start calling the Roc3 overstable?"

UNDERSTABLE I disagree

It's all relative of course.

If I had said that they are the least over stable, someone would be asking "when did we start calling the Roc3 overstable?"

More or less stable than another is better for me, as I consider understable to mean that the mold is intended to turn. A well loved, beat to snot DX firebird will season to be an understable roller but most do not claim the firebird is intended to be an understable mold. Your opinion on the buzzz counts but I discount it greatly based on my experience with the 20+ Z Buzzzes I've owned so I had to comment on your understable assessment of my workhorse mid.

I consider "workhorse" to mean that it can do the majority of work. Look at Doss throw his Buzzz all over De La, easy for me to call it his work horse. IMO, a neutral/stable/straight/whatever flying disc is easier to manipulate over a range of hyzer/straight/anny lines. That's why I reach for my stable buzzz the majority of time(workhorse) instead of using a different disc for every little possible nuanced fairway difference. I'd bet most M2s, in your example, need a fair amount of anny, serious spin, and/or a lot of seasoning before they're useful turnover discs and therefore not a great workhorse mold to me unless all your holes are into a headwind, dogleg left, or molded in quick to season 200 plastic. A great workhorse mold maybe but that's the relative part to me [power, plastic, condition, desired flight(s)].

Maybe the Compass, which I've never thrown, is limited in the lines it handles well to the point not being a go to/workhorse mid but that doesn't seem to be the case for super far power throwing Ricky.

Last edited:
For me the compass could be my only mid. Envy/proxy cover a ton of shots. The compass at least for me picks up where those two leave off. So far I can put the compass on any line it's so cliche but for me it's true. So for me I can definitely see it being my workhorse the way I use mids.

I have to agree that the Buzzz is more understable than the Compass. Not by much, but as far as I could compare them the Compass could handle more headwind. Other than that I agree that the Compass can be a workhorse mid.

Although I wonder that the Trilogy players don't have more Verdicts and Bards in their bag. Although JohnE showed quite a few in his recent ITB.

If all the semantics are hashed out, here's some commentary on my field work today with the Doss Ti Buzzz and the Wysocki Opto Compass (and the McBeth Champ Roc3, as well).

It was very hot today at the schoolyard, a.k.a. the range, very humid. But there were some 'popcorn' clouds coming up, and some wind to go with them.

Throwing into headwinds, the Compass turned over just a bit more for me than the Buzzz, but both faded a bit at the end, the Doss a bit more than the Compass, but not by much. The Roc3 was very straight with only a 'dump' fade. They all got good distance, with the Roc3 and Compass edging out the Buzzz fairly consistently, but not by a whole lot. My Buzzz will not be known for glide, but did pretty well into the wind.

Throwing into tailwinds (wind at my back), the Buzzz held up fairly well, but faded a bit more than into a headwind (which is to be expected). The Buzzz again made no claims to be a high glide disc. The Roc3 was about the same (as it is in headwinds), though with a bit less distance. The Compass lost some glide, though, and seemed more eager to seek the ground in tailwinds.

On short throws between rows of trees to show accuracy, the Roc3 did the best (the Mako3 did even better, but I digress). The Compass drifted just a bit right but often hyzered back left (RHBH throws). The Buzzz was a bit mixed, but some of that was likely operator headspace and timing.

When it comes to comfort, the Compass feels best in my hand, followed by the Doss Buzzz, and the Roc3 is not comfortable at all to me. I think carrying all three at the same time, or even two at the same time, would be needlessly redundant (unless you want a backup at a tournament or something), but depending on course and conditions, I can see myself bagging any of the three, with the Compass and Buzzz vying for the top spot.

i love the compass. go to mid. i also bag the verdict for windy, OS shots, and straight forehand shots. also the justice for forehand and for meaty OS shots... and when i get into trouble.:thmbup:

Latest posts