• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Compass midrange

As a long time Roc thrower I have always wished for a mid that can be forehanded more easily. The Compass is the best "straight" forehanding midrange I've found. Even better than the Buzzz.

Did a 3-disc round today. Star Valkyrie, Sockibomb Opto Compass, and Classic Warden (used only for in-the-circle putting).

The Wysocki Compass was outstanding. Got good distance for a mid, but was accurate on standstill shots at the basket in the 225-and-in range. Very comfortable, MUCH more comfortable than the Roc3, fer sure. Did well on a couple of spike hyzers, regular hyzers, straight shots with a bit of fade. But best of all, there is one very uphill shot requiring a huge turnover to the right (anhyzer for RHBH throwers). The Compass held that turnover line perfectly, glided down flat and soft with no fade. (Of course, I missed the 15-ft. birdie putt :( ).

The only issue was similar to something brought up when watching Wisocky throw. I needed a fast, low hyzer shot for a tunnel shot. The Compass came out of my hand well on the hyzer throw, but then it flattened out a bit. This caused the disc to go right of my intended line, hit a tree branch and drop to the ground. A Shark3 or P2 that would've held the hyzer line and gotten much further along for me. That was the only disappointment of the day for me while using the Compass.

I did practice a few forehand shots with the Compass, with little success. My forehand is bad anyway, but I've been able to do okay with a Mako3 for some reason. I'll need a lot more work to get the hang of the Compass, and I'll likely stick to backhands with it.

All in all, though... very accurate, reliable mid.

Does anyone have any opinions on the moonshine plastic version? Does it have just barely noticeable increase in stability, or Verdict like OSness?

Due to tropical storm Colin I haven't had a chance to throw my moonshine just look at it. But I dose have a high plh then both my Opto GL and decodye with a tad more dome really itching to throw it and test it vs the others.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 78
Man the compass is surprising me more and more each round. I've always struggled with dead straight. Not with the compass. It's strange to trust a disc you can rip into and know it won't drift too far. It's been handling hyzer lines pretty well unless I rip into it. Anny lines are okay I need more time, but this is truly a workhorse mid for me glad I decided to give one a whirl.

I got to throw the Moonshine Compass a bit yesterday, which is my only Compass.

Definitely shorter and more controllable than a Truth, with stability that feels like it's in the ball park of your more stable-overstable Truths. Not sure how much plastic and heavy weight affect this.

The disc seems spin friendly. High spin helps stabilize the angle, which makes the Compass really easy to control and place.

For now I'm keeping it in the bag along with my last fresh FR Fluid Truth. I'm not sure if it will kick Truths out or if it will just become the ranging Truth..

Finally got to throw my moonshine compass and I was happy with the results it was a touch more stable than my fresh Opto compass. it's not anything crazy but it did impress me on some of the RHFH throws. I will be keeping it in along with my Opto and GL compass with my moonshine Justice that is just an OS beast and my nice broken in bio Justice. Really like keeping it simple.

I have been messing around with the Compass over the past few weeks, and it is really growing on me. I am finding it to be extremely predictable and able to handle both powered-down shots and harder rips quite well. To be honest, I think my Ghosts are getting a little nervous...

I donno what it is about this mold, but it just comes out of my hand so very clean. The Longbowman has the same thing going on...I don't know how to describe it, but I can feel the difference.

Really flies nice like others have said. Just seems to want to go straight with a little baby fade.

I did not see specifics regarding the gold line versus the opto compass. How much more understable is the goldline version?

I did not see specifics regarding the gold line versus the opto compass. How much more understable is the goldline version?

I have an Opto Compass but not a GL Compass (yet). I do have experience with Opto and GL in other discs, such as the River. I've found that the Opto and GL start out pretty much the same fresh out of the box, but the GL seasons in more quickly.

The Opto does season in over time (unlike the Innova Champion plastic, which takes a very long time, if ever, to season in), but the GL does so more quickly. Once the GL finds a place to settle into, it does so and then stays there for a good long time.

I would expect that a GL Compass would season in to a nice stable/understable compliment to the Opto Compass. From there, it's a matter of which plastic you prefer in your paws.

I find the GL Compass to be slightly more stable than the Opto so far. I've come to prefer the GL for that reason. I seem to get a little more distance with the GL as well but that might simply be because I dare to put a little more into the throws...

I would expect that a GL Compass would season in to a nice stable/understable compliment to the Opto Compass. From there, it's a matter of which plastic you prefer in your paws.

This is exactly what's happening to my GL compass it really a great workable mid and a great compliment to my Opto and moonshine I been bagging all three and they all give me a unique shot selection in wooded course and just that strait 280-300 shot.

People use the term "more stable" in more than one way, so to clarify: do you find the GL more overstable or more understable relative to the Opto? TIA.

The GL is more overstable than the Opto then, none of mine are neither totally fresh nor very beaten up by the way.

In my experience the gold lines are less overstable. I have two opto and two GL, and in each case this holds true. None of them are flippy by any means, but the GL will flip up to flat and the Opto just perfectly hold the release angle. They are probably just going to vary. Don't know if you can make a rule about them yet. I will say the Optos are more domey, so it may be correlated.

If it's case by case between the two I'd suggest judging stability by PLH not plastic blend.

For people that have both GL and Opto, are the PLHs matching the stability?

For instance, does your more overstable GL have a higher PLH than your less OS Opto?

Got my GL today. Aqua 178g. Compared to my 179g Opto they look basically the same as far as profile is concerned.

My Opto has been a nice addition to the bag. Very easy to throw straight to baby fade shots up to 300'. No problems with FH shots. For the stability and glide it works like a beat in version of a more stable mold.

Latest posts