• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Compass midrange

Anyone been trying out the new plastics? A buddy of mine had some decodyes that looked sweet and I know the gold line just came out, really interested in seeing some comparisons across plastics.

I've only thrown a few careful throws with my deco dye GL Compass but it actually seemed slightly more stable than the Opto. That could just be me beeing extra careful not to scuff the dye though... :)

The GL Compass reminded me of my beat in Mace in that it seemed slightly more forgiving than the Opto Compass. Again, it's been just a few throws so don't put to much into it.

I waited a while before picking up a Compass. I prefer the feel (and to be honest, the look) of GL over Opto.

When I saw the Compass in GL, I decided to try it out.

Man, this is a sweet disc! First throw off the tee was a near ace, just missed the chains. For the round, I put the Compass within easy deuce range 8 times out of 10 throws at the local short course (Blendon Woods). Anhyzer, Straight, and Hyzer, this thing truly held the line as expected. It will likely replace the Mace (I don't really like beaded discs), and will probably cut into the Claymore's throw count.

Don't have one? Get one!

I waited a while before picking up a Compass. I prefer the feel (and to be honest, the look) of GL over Opto.

Man, this is a sweet disc! First throw off the tee was a near ace, just missed the chains. For the round, I put the Compass within easy deuce range 8 times out of 10 throws at the local short course (Blendon Woods). Anhyzer, Straight, and Hyzer, this thing truly held the line as expected. It will likely replace the Mace (I don't really like beaded discs), and will probably cut into the Claymore's throw count.

Don't have one? Get one!

Compare the stability/flight to the Claymore. Since you have first hand experience with both, Im interested in why you say it will "cut into", and not "directly overlap" the Claymore. I was guessing they'd essentially be the same.

Don't have one? Get one!
Does it hold touch anhyzers well? Based on the flight numbers it looks like it should, but I want to be sure. :)

Compare the stability/flight to the Claymore. Since you have first hand experience with both, Im interested in why you say it will "cut into", and not "directly overlap" the Claymore. I was guessing they'd essentially be the same.

The Compass has less turn (my Claymore is frost line), but about the same kind of fade at the end. They are both pretty predictable, but I think you'd have to give the Claymore some hyzer to get a really straight flight. In my experience, that generally is less predictable than throwing flat. In future rounds, when there's a straight approach, or a little wind, I might find myself reaching for the Compass instead of the Claymore.

Does it hold touch anhyzers well? Based on the flight numbers it looks like it should, but I want to be sure. :)

Yes, there's one hole that's short, but a pretty significant left turn (I am LHBH). I threw the Compass on an anny, and it went right toward the basket, flattened out, and landed without rolling or fading out too far. On other holes, the approach necessitated an touch anny, and the Compass delivered. I really like it so far, but keep in mind it's only been one round...

The Compass has less turn (my Claymore is frost line), but about the same kind of fade at the end. They are both pretty predictable, but I think you'd have to give the Claymore some hyzer to get a really straight flight. In my experience, that generally is less predictable than throwing flat. In future rounds, when there's a straight approach, or a little wind, I might find myself reaching for the Compass instead of the Claymore.

If you have a touch of hyzer on the Compass when trying to throw straight, will it go straight (drift up slightly), or will it sweep hyzer mildly? Also, how is the glide/low ceiling ability compared to the Claymore?

If you have a touch of hyzer on the Compass when trying to throw straight, will it go straight (drift up slightly), or will it sweep hyzer mildly? Also, how is the glide/low ceiling ability compared to the Claymore?

A touch of hyzer (not sure how to measure, but "one click" off flat - 15%?) and it will go straight with fade at the end. More hyzer (30-45%?) and/or height will result in the sweeping hyzer to the right (LHBH). I think it will go around corners as well as my Mace or even the Harp with the right amount of hyzer.

A touch of hyzer (not sure how to measure, but "one click" off flat - 15%?) and it will go straight with fade at the end. More hyzer (30-45%?) and/or height will result in the sweeping hyzer to the right (LHBH). I think it will go around corners as well as my Mace or even the Harp with the right amount of hyzer.

Cool, that's what I wanted to hear (if you miss the shot by dropping the wing down slightly, it'll stay forgiving). I need to try one of these out when I see one on the course.

I find the Opto Compass to be damn near neutral - it turns in a strong headwind, but in calm air is just straight, with little to no fade. For hyzers and anhyzers it's pretty much like Wysocki shows in the video.

I do find the Claymore a nice compliment, as it is longer and slightly less stable.

Cool, that's what I wanted to hear (if you miss the shot by dropping the wing down slightly, it'll stay forgiving). I need to try one of these out when I see one on the course.

*Sigh* They're doing it to me again. After reading this thread, I want to try a GL Compass. My wallet is crying. Screaming, actually. :eek:

I have been extremely happy with my Compasses since I've been throwing them. I came from Roc3's, which I never had a problem with flightwise, but they were not the most comfortable in my hand. The Compass is very nice to hold, and among the 3 Compasses I have, there is enough variation that I felt like I could drop Roc3's out of the bag completely.

Basically I have a red-orange gold line which is quite overstable, yellow Opto which is slightly overstable, and a white GL which is almost perfectly straight. A beat up Mako3 is the only other mid I feel like I need, since most of my VERY overstable midrange shots just get a finessed firebird throw these days.

I held a Compass today and it is very comfortable in the hand. Out of curiosity, are those of you who bag the Compass pairing it up with something like the Verdict for windy days (seems to have a similar feel in the hand) or is the Compass beefy enough to hold up on its own?

I held a Compass today and it is very comfortable in the hand. Out of curiosity, are those of you who bag the Compass pairing it up with something like the Verdict for windy days (seems to have a similar feel in the hand) or is the Compass beefy enough to hold up on its own?

I bag a few compasses and one of my coworkers has a verdict that I've thrown. It depends on the wind and the hole but when thrown flat, the compass will turn a bit more (not burn though) and just not fade very much for me. I can usually compensate by either hyzering a bit more or aiming more to the left with a flat release (RHBH).

The rim of the verdict feels a LOT like a compass in the hand (big plus) and is naturally over stable, so I could throw it the way I would a compass where I want to ensure a fade in headwind. I am actually considering getting one to compliment my compasses, but I'm still sorting out what drivers get to stay in my bag.

Sounds like these will be replacing my truths once Im done with this last FR Fluid.

Any advice on plastic and weight stabilities?

Cool, thank you for your responses. I think I might grab a compass just to mess around with it a bit. The one I was feeling up was Opto, but it was a unique milky white color. Opaque - unlike all of the other Optos they had in stock.

Latest posts