• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Complaining About Facebook Auctions MEGATHREAD!!!

Somebody needs to get a clue and its not Hammer.

get-a-clue.gif

With the amount of production plastic available, able to cover any slot in the bag, the clamour to pay high prices for OOP stuff, just seems silly to me. I can't even see paying above premium plastic prices for an old disc from my youth to hang on a wall. I know, to each his own, but seems like a lot of hub bub for nothing.

I also understand the frustration. Let's say there is a community of people selling tools for $10 a piece, it's great, they can all get new tools, exchange, everything for only $10 a pop. Then tools become a fashion statement and it goes up to $30 a pop.

It's frustrating that a bunch of people outside the circle, ruin things for people inside the circle who want to remain in the same status.

I think the point people want to make is, "I miss my community of selling/buying discs at the price I used to"

This is pretty much all of it in a nutshell. Question is...what will come of it? Will the Facebook bubble burst or will disc selling the way we know it be changed forever. A little dramatic:p

This is pretty much all of it in a nutshell. Question is...what will come of it? Will the Facebook bubble burst or will disc selling the way we know it be changed forever. A little dramatic:p

Considering that disc golf is rapidly growing, and the inventory of OOP plastic isn't just static, but shrinking. I would have to guess that these escalations in prices are just the beginning.

It is basic economics. Higher demand coupled with shrinking supply always results in increasing prices. This is regardless of what market you are discussing. Look at gas prices over the last century.

What do I know, though? According to Walker's highly articulate argument; I need to get a clue.

Considering that disc golf is rapidly growing, and the inventory of OOP plastic isn't just static, but shrinking. I would have to guess that these escalations in prices are just the beginning.

It is basic economics. Higher demand coupled with shrinking supply always results in increasing prices. This is regardless of what market you are discussing. Look at gas prices over the last century.

What do I know, though? According to Walker's highly articulate argument; I need to get a clue.

I think that at some point, the bubble will burst.

I agree that the supply of OOP is shrinking, but higher growth in the sport does not always correlate to higher demand in OOP. I would suspect that many of the newer players have no desire to support the demand for high priced OOP. They aren't tied to it from throwing it for years, thus may not wish to by them.

Also, with the growth of the sport, we are seeing a lot more new disc companies come out. At some point in the future (if we aren't there already), someone is going to make a disc that makes the CE premium (as a thrower, not a collector) obsolete, thus bursting the foundation of the bubble.

I think that at some point, the bubble will burst.

I agree that the supply of OOP is shrinking, but higher growth in the sport does not always correlate to higher demand in OOP. I would suspect that many of the newer players have no desire to support the demand for high priced OOP. They aren't tied to it from throwing it for years, thus may not wish to by them.

Also, with the growth of the sport, we are seeing a lot more new disc companies come out. At some point in the future (if we aren't there already), someone is going to make a disc that makes the CE premium (as a thrower, not a collector) obsolete, thus bursting the foundation of the bubble.

I don't completely disagree with this, but feel compelled to offer up some anecdotal evidence to the contrary. Many of the newer players I see are easily ensnared in the OOP craze. They seem to think because it is older, more expensive, etc. that it is better. I feel into the same trap when I first started. I was too willing to listen to old school golfers telling me how great CE was.

With regard to CE being obsolete; I think we are already there. CE is breaking and shattering in colder climates. I hear about very little of this with the newer plastics. The newer plastics are far superior in terms of grip, durability, and aesthetics. Has that depressed the prices of CE?

I don't completely disagree with this, but feel compelled to offer up some anecdotal evidence to the contrary. Many of the newer players I see are easily ensnared in the OOP craze. They seem to think because it is older, more expensive, etc. that it is better. I feel into the same trap when I first started. I was too willing to listen to old school golfers telling me how great CE was.

With regard to CE being obsolete; I think we are already there. CE is breaking and shattering in colder climates. I hear about very little of this with the newer plastics. The newer plastics are far superior in terms of grip, durability, and aesthetics. Has that depressed the prices of CE?

I completely agree about CE being obsolete. If it's purely durability I think Opto plastic is more durable. If you factor in CE that's 10 years old, DX is more durable.

I think that you are right about new players...but they caught it from the older players. There is also nothing like the frustrating of buying a disc, loving it, then buying another one and it flying completely differently.

LE discs are the easiest to differentiate. It's so much easier to say I want a CE FX, because I threw one and liked it, than I want a "domey zipper top puddle top swirly pearly overweight firebird with a transitional stamp"

ok, Ill share this. I play with Dave Feldberg once in a while and last time we played, he shared this with me. The plastics used in older 9x, 10x, and CE is breaking down. That is why so many big collectors have been unloading their stashes. Take it for what it is. I really don't care if you don't believe me, or hate Dave Feldberg. I trust his opinion and you should too. Sell that really old stuff before you are left with brittle, highly breakable and worthless plastic

Hammer speaks the truth.

(Edit) If you do collect, make sure you properly store your investment. No smoke, little sunlight, and little contact with the air.

Look at FB, CE is out of control ATM. . .there will be no ceiling as more and more will be broken and/or used

Last edited:
ok, Ill share this. I play with Dave Feldberg once in a while and last time we played, he shared this with me. The plastics used in older 9x, 10x, and CE is breaking down. That is why so many big collectors have been unloading their stashes. Take it for what it is. I really don't care if you don't believe me, or hate Dave Feldberg. The truth is, he is a nice guy, just very competitive. I trust his opinion and you should too. See that really old stuff before you are left with brittle, highly breakable plastic

Hammer speaks the truth.

Everyone should agree with you. Plastic has a lifespan. It's not really an opinion so much as an observation of something that is already accepted as true.

:clap:

Putting the OOP argument aside, what are your thoughts on the pre-flight numbers discs and new runs gone haywire?

Yeah, it really is pretty lame on FB these days. Most of the posts are 'Make An Offer!' beat-around-the-bush games - or you have people bumping their friends prices - and, in turn, the prices for ordinary discs have gotten stupid. It's a sellers market if you are prepared to wade through the BS (and hopefully actually get paid - lots of 'can i pay you next week?' types). What has happened lately is it is ALL sellers - and everyone thinks what they have is worth twice what they paid. I honestly think sellers and buyers are already coming back to the MP here - where the business is a little more straight-forward and people are more interested in making a little money back off a disc than making a fortune.

Is it really that bad on FB? Thread after thread about it on here recently. I wonder what the real solution is. I'm not hating on you for starting another thread. It makes me want to sign up for FB again and sell all my gummy Champ discs to be honest. I like them but I'd be happy to double my money the way everyone here is talking about the auctions there.

Putting the OOP argument aside, what are your thoughts on the pre-flight numbers discs and new runs gone haywire?

Honestly, I haven't paid attention to it. I'm super-selective about the plastic I buy. I ignore all the rest. The PFN thing is one of those things I ignore.

If people are paying inflated prices for stuff they can get elsewhere, well that is their choice. Not a particularly good one, but whatever. I will say that there is an added benefit of buying these disc through FB. Some people are looking for particular runs that they can't see on retailers websites, or in their own shop. Perhaps paying a couple extra dollars to get exactly what they are looking for is worth it to them.

I will say that I took advantage of my local shop getting the Breaking Bad Cranks early. I bought a bunch for $25 and sold them for $40 two days before the general release. So I can't claim that I haven't personally benefited from the market swing. The smart man buys low and sells high.

Not everything is over priced there. I have personally found some smoking deals. You just have to exercise patience.

BB Cranks ar $19 per at Marshall street currently

silly to me to see them sell for even $25 per; just like the ESP flicks going for $35 per when they are still in stores as well

Honestly, I haven't paid attention to it. I'm super-selective about the plastic I buy. I ignore all the rest. The PFN thing is one of those things I ignore.

If people are paying inflated prices for stuff they can get elsewhere, well that is their choice. Not a particularly good one, but whatever. I will say that there is an added benefit of buying these disc through FB. Some people are looking for particular runs that they can't see on retailers websites, or in their own shop. Perhaps paying a couple extra dollars to get exactly what they are looking for is worth it to them.

I will say that I took advantage of my local shop getting the Breaking Bad Cranks early. I bought a bunch for $25 and sold them for $40 two days before the general release. So I can't claim that I haven't personally benefited from the market swing. The smart man buys low and sells high.

Not everything is over priced there. I have personally found some smoking deals. You just have to exercise patience.

we heckle anyone in our fb group that tries to gouge on discs..

Latest posts