• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Complaining About Facebook Auctions MEGATHREAD!!!

exactly^ while there can be benefits to it, collecting does not = value. Rarity increases future chance for value but even then doesn't mean a disc will be worth crap.

Ummmm.... There will always be outliers in any run of discs and this seems to be that case IMO as I've been throwing ce for over 13 years aggressively and have had ZERO issues. Destroyers may never last at the rate they're going but I'm almost certain ce will hold its value. They are some of the original discs of our sport and there will always be someone who wants a piece of that history!

People are just too quick to make the new stuff collectible. They'll never be as collectible as the CE is or was. There are too many runs and too many people paying out the nose for it. The bubble will burst and the world will be normal again. Soon I hope. :p

Prodigy, in my opinion, was a great strategic move. You form a new disc company and enlist all the top, up and coming pro's. Release a bunch of one off discs, special blends, limited runs and you'll have people fighting over discs and throwing money around like candy.

Yeah, They have some great plastic too. Honestly though the special 500 only runs they are doing with seemingly every disc aren't really gaining value...at least not right away..its the team stamps and test blends, stuff that's not technically supposed to be out there is what fetches the bucks. I do agree though how people spend that kind of money on discs that have hardly been around for a year is beyond me....

Ummmm.... There will always be outliers in any run of discs and this seems to be that case IMO as I've been throwing ce for over 13 years aggressively and have had ZERO issues. Destroyers may never last at the rate they're going but I'm almost certain ce will hold its value. They are some of the original discs of our sport and there will always be someone who wants a piece of that history!

Whats up with the destroyers by the way? I see all kinds going for big bucks....has it always been like this or is this a recent phenomenon....makes me want to start diving into used bins for destroyers though.....

If you are collecting any latest run within the last few years and paying FB prices in hopes of seeing a ROI I do not see it. Problem is everyone else is doing the same. The older and rare stuff will probably still have value down the road though. Same as rare old baseball cards, a Mickie Mantle, Babe Ruth or Honus Wagner. Once everyone found out they were collectable then the game was over. I bought cards as a kid and the only ones that did well were the rarer old ones. All the new ones were a waste of money. I did trade my friend for a couple Jerry Rice Rookies though that worked out well, though I forget what I gave him. haha.

If you are collecting any latest run within the last few years and paying FB prices in hopes of seeing a ROI I do not see it. Problem is everyone else is doing the same. The older and rare stuff will probably still have value down the road though. Same as rare old baseball cards, a Mickie Mantle, Babe Ruth or Honus Wagner. Once everyone found out they were collectable then the game was over. I bought cards as a kid and the only ones that did well were the rarer old ones. All the new ones were a waste of money. I did trade my friend for a couple Jerry Rice Rookies though that worked out well, though I forget what I gave him. haha.

I never got into collecting anything, but when I was in my teens someone talked me into buying 100 baseball cards of Dwight Gooden when he was a rookie from a guy that was cash poor due to collecting. I got them for less than $1 each and it was one of the best decisions I ever made when I sold them a few years later. Everytime I see the guy that sold them to me, he says I should pick up his bar tab for his mistake and he was serious about the first time I saw him after college.

I never intended to collect discs and I don't anymore. I just remember hanging cool looking ones and tourney stamps on the wall back in the day. Then one day I checked ebay and realized I had over $2000 worth of plastic wallpaper.

For the purpose of collecting, it is very much the same animal. Coin collectors could spend their coins, but they don't. Stamp collectors could put their stamps on their mail, but they don't. If someone buys an expensive disc for throwing, and hereby exposing it to potential damage and/or loss, well, they're not collecting it.

No they're worth more because somebody is willing to pay more for them. The rationality of the reasoning behind why they paid that much is irrelevant.

Or because they think a bigger sucker is going to come along later.

You shouldn't. They're not your discs. Its not your money. And if you're more into discs because of how they fly, there's no need to spend money on boutique plastic because there's always a production run of something out there that will perform just as good. If you can't realize that, you have the same wrongheaded thinking a lot of these people paying out the nose for stuff that's not all that exceptional are.

I wouldn't say my thinking is "wrong headed" Id say my thinking is of a person who sees the collecting aspect of our sport getting out of hand and as many have already stated in this thread, bubble will pop.

Well, we used to 'play' baseball cards. You take a card and flip it towards a brick wall. Whoever is closest to the wall keeps the other cards. Of course, there was the more utilitarian function of attaching cards to your bicycle forks for great spoke noise.

I can understand why people collect discs. The thing I don't understand is those people who have a jl gator/gstar destoyers/etc and think they have a holy grail.

Am I missing something about this destroyer?

picture.php

Latest posts