• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Selling] Contender Back Pak by Physical Flight DG $155

We take all of the things people have said as a compliment because it looks like we have designed a great bag to get such a backlash from fan boys of a rival company. I remember the same happened with the Prodciscus when it came out calling it a Grip-off, seems like they have done pretty well lol

With that said Physical Flight again goes under attack. Take care everyone and have a nice weekend, we are mentally tired from constant antagonism by fan boys of our rivals who have never even seen one of our bags in person. We will continue to make great products at a reasonable price but DGCR is NOT the place for a growing company, we can't even have our own thread in a marketplace that we pay money for without coming under attack. Feel free to talk trash about us but we can not continue to try to defend our bags. We meet dead lines we set and keep promises we make unlike some of these other companies yet are still crucified. This is our 3rd official bag we have released and the 3rd time we have come under attack. Take care.

-Physical Flight

I've had 0 problems with mine, and think it's worth what I paid for it and some. I've even asked others who don't know anything about the sport or either company/bag and they agree it's the same bag.

The styles are the exact same, size makes no difference here.

Maybe, but so what? Discs are basically the same molds across all manufacturers. Hence why there's a few dozen, "What's the Innova equivalent of..." threads. Doesn't seem to stop them. How different are the medium-sized traditional style bags across the board? Not very. The Prodiscus was made off the same model as the Grip.

Plus, in case you didn't notice before you went for the Flak:

image.php

It wasn't exactly 100% original, either.

Gateway Ozark
1d950c36.jpg

Golf Mahal
98434_g.jpg

DGA Tour Bag
Picture110.jpg

Fade Tourney Bag
zesk+5.JPG

So I'm still not understanding what the problem is. Everyone takes existing design and tweaks it to suit their needs. That's the nature of all business. You don't like McDonald's? Go to Wendy's. You don't like Pepsi? Drink Coke. You don't like the Contender? Then be happy with your Flak. They're not causing a disruption to the world order, or anything.

Its a copycat sport. Its all about competition so why would you not use what works for other companies. If I can get this bag that has the best elements as other bags...but at a lower price, why wouldnt I pull the trigger on that?

Great work PF!

Sounds like the only reason someone would be upset about any similarities would be because they paid more for an inferior bag.

UPS seems to have his panties in a wad because of this.

Congrats to Physical Flight for great bag.

I wanted to support HyzerBomb so bad. They are local to me and prices are fair (based on the competition). But they announced a bag in August for release in November, then backed out because they didn't practice due diligence with their manufacturer. Then announced that they will announce a bag with "updated features" and then there are no new features, it's the same Flak3 we've known about for 6+ months. Then announcing that a "firm release date" would be announced on "Monday or Tuesday" of this week.....ever hear that firm announce date? Nope, they said "April sometime". That's not how you run a business.

I digress. Congrats Physical Flight on a great bag, for a great price, with great materials. Best of luck!

has GB not been around before them?

You tell me.....I don't know how that makes a difference whether it's one of a kind though. I'm guessing Innova's competition bag was out before the FADE tourney, but the Innova comp bag isn't one of a kind.

...it has the drink holders on the side rather than using a bottom pocket...

True....two totally 100% unique bags.

We take all of the things people have said as a compliment because it looks like we have designed a great bag to get such a backlash from fan boys of a rival company. I remember the same happened with the Prodciscus when it came out calling it a Grip-off, seems like they have done pretty well lol

Prodiscus did copy the Grip and I think the community could see that. Maybe I'm reading what you wrote to be "Prodiscus did it, why can't we?"
Am I wrong?
What else is not the same in the bag vs. the Flak? I watched both videos and they look like the exact same bag. Not hating at all but just want to hear from somebody who has seen the bag thinks about it. You did mention you took ideas from other bags, what did you use on this bag? Maybe that would clear it up. Give credit wear credit is due.

Have you ever seen a Flak or used one for the design?

Big Hyzer 8-Frame?
Very cool bag and one of a kind. It holds my fat rear and this is the bag I use for tournaments. I want an Ergo but then I would be poor. :thmbdown:

has GB not been around before them?
GB is old school.

looks like

563515_332215513546309_1161984002_n.jpg
It is very close in design, but I'm not attacking you PF at all. Just asking some questions on how you guys view this. We need more companies to make this a players market.

By far the best thread read in a looooong time though.

I much prefer the pocket orientation on the Contender over the Flak. Zipper location, pocket width, direction the pockets open, and pocket interior all look to be different and/or upgraded over other models out there... and at a cheaper price if you can even find remotely comparable models available new.

Prodiscus did copy the Grip and I think the community could see that. Maybe I'm reading what you wrote to be "Prodiscus did it, why can't we?"
Am I wrong?

What else is not the same in the bag vs. the Flak? I watched both videos and they look like the exact same bag. Not hating at all but just want to hear from somebody who has seen the bag thinks about it. You did mention you took ideas from other bags, what did you use on this bag? Maybe that would clear it up. Give credit wear credit is due.

To the first point, I think he was saying that Prodiscus got flamed good and hard for "copying" the Grip design, but once the loudmouths calmed down, Prodiscus still sells more bags than they can keep up with. I think the message is that a few people complaining on DGCR doesn't constitute a majority opinion.

For what it's worth, there are really only 3 backpack design models out there right now. The Revo design, the Mahal design, and the Grip design. I only designate those "names" because it's easier. The Ergo is an interesting design change, but I have some serious reservations about that bag. Physical Flight's Challenger was essentially a boxier Grip-style bag.

They are both built off the Revo model. In looking over the two bags very closely, PF definitely seems bigger (but I have not been able to see it in person). The overall orientation is the same, but like I said before, that orientation existed before the Flak anyways. The top compartment on the PF orients the pockets and clips to the front flap instead of in the back. I personally like this better because if I have a hoodie or a ton of crap stuffed in there, I don't need to dig through it all to get to the back pockets.

The side storage pockets are roughly the same. Although I'm pretty sure HB doesn't have the patent on "square." The bottle holders are obviously moved to the front. I'll have to see how I feel about that. On the one hand I worry they may weigh the bag down akwardly. On the other hand, ANY bag I've worn that has the drink holders against my back are very difficult for me to reach back and grab while I'm walking. So this may work out well.

The handle is similar, but it's also the same handle PF used on their Chally bag, so it's a "Physical Flight" standard handle. They could be the same handle, but that just means they buy their handles from the same company.

I can't say what the back padding is made of on the Flak, but the back padding on the Contender is memory foam. I'm willing to bet the Flak is just a standard foam padding as seen in the other bag offerings out there. Which is fine, don't get me wrong. But a memory foam back padding is one of those little things you don't actually "see" but are a unique difference.

Obviously the loops on the front are the same, but they also exist on the Mahal and Gorilla Boy bags (there are probably others, those are just off the top of my head). The side disc pocket is also the same, but again, can be found on other bags too (Prodiscus does it, one of the things they had over the Grip).

The feet are the same, but like the handles, they don't make the feet. They just buy them from a supplier. Plus, they were the same feet used on the Chally as well:
pf_challenger_pak_purple_s_9.jpg

I had stated in an earlier post, I prefer the elastic putter pocket on the Contender. I'm not sure what the design purpose was for a zippered putter pocket on the Flak, but I don't like the idea of dragging my putters out of there on every hole (sometimes more than once) and potentially scuffing up my flight plate needlessly.

Obviously the main opening is oriented opposite. I will admit that traditionally I prefer the Flak/Grip/Prodiscus way. But as long as it tucks out of the way easily, it won't matter in the long run for me. I'll be interested to see if I can wedge a U-channel divider in there.

All in all, yes, there are similarities. But these similarities have existed before, and they will exist again in other bags from other companies. All I see is what you see in ALL things; you take something and make it better. If this is a better backpack, then that's the bottom line in my mind.

There seems to be alot to like about this bag. One thing bothers me about the design.

I know it might sound minor, but why are the water bottle holders out from the body? Ergonomically, this doesn't make sense. If your bottles are full, wouldn't the weight pull away from your back? Also when ever you turn/tiwst, wouldn't that motion exaggerate the location of the water bottles because that weight is on the most outside corners of the bag? If some one who has actually worn this bag could comment, that'd be great.

There seems to be alot to like about this bag. One thing bothers me about the design.

I know it might sound minor, but why are the water bottle holders out from the body? Ergonomically, this doesn't make sense. If your bottles are full, wouldn't the weight pull away from your back? Also when ever you turn/tiwst, wouldn't that motion exaggerate the location of the water bottles because that weight is on the most outside corners of the bag? If some one who has actually worn this bag could comment, that'd be great.

That was a concern for me too. If the discs sit back deep enough, then a full bag should weigh enough low and center to offset the two water bottles if they're full. It should also level out the weight displacement when the bag is setting on the ground. (Bags like the Grip and others with tall backs and bottle holders in the back tend to be back-heavy when balancing on a less than level ground) So it won't be tip-prone.

Another possibility is with the memory foam back padding, any awkward weight displacement pulling down would be absorbed by the back padding so it wouldn't register to the wearer.

This is all hypothetical, of course. I have one coming and it's definitely the one feature I'm curious to experience. But bags like the DGA tournament bag have both bottle holders on one side, and other odd arrangements do exist out there. The big thing is that Chris is a back doctor professionally, so I have to trust that the design choice won't be a hinderance.

I definitely like the looks of the bag, but I have to say that I wish the side pockets had been kept. I know there are the smaller ones at the bottoms in line with the water bottle holders, but I really liked all the extra separate storage on the Challenger, especially without a rainfly (not that I'll be carrying enough discs to use those side pockets...). I'm guessing that was a concession to keep costs down, or was it redesigned like that on purpose?

Either way, it's a damn nice looking bag. I am sure it'll sell well. It's definitely made the cut for my wish list.

As for your future videos, are you going to put the bag to the test? I'd like to see the waterproof zippers in action.

Did you watch the video of the two bags though? They look eerily similar. My only beef would be to be more original ya know? The Flak only has one zipper that even resembles the Revolution bag. Top compartments are nothing alike as well as the sides. The new Ergo is one of a kind and it should do really well - Again all original and thinking outside the box.

Kilgus might be able to answer this, because it would explain everything in my opinion. -
Did you use the Flak for the basic design?

Well even when I had my Grip and needed to use the rainfly I couldn't get to the putters in the top. They had to go down in the main compartment because the rainfly covered the top pocket.

Latest posts