• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course Baggers

Speaking of the worst of the worst, why does Duck Pond Rec. Area get so much hate?? I honestly didn't think it was THAT bad. I've played a lot worse ones in WI and IL than that.

You're not wrong. You did say it's not THAT bad, in caps though.

😉

Speaking of the worst of the worst, why does Duck Pond Rec. Area get so much hate?? I honestly didn't think it was THAT bad. I've played a lot worse ones in WI and IL than that.

Perhaps this one could be your first review of many, on your journey to trusted reviewer status :) :) :)

I read the prior reviews. many of which are 10 years old and likely dont reflect the course anymore. So i would assume that much of the hate is related to the fact that it used to be terrible. Stardoggy's review likely best sums it up, but that review is even several years old now.

I have a goal of playing 100% of courses in a state and RI is my main target! Pretty sure it can be done in a day b/c last time I checked there are only 4 courses.

It's a lot tougher now that one of the courses is on an island that is only accessible by ferry. Takes a decent chunk out of the day.

Depending on how big a trip it is I like to print out the info page and map for each course I'm planning on playing and have them in a folder or binder. This way if I have no service I can hopefully still find the course and then navigate it. I also try and make sure the directions are good and route the whole trip (or each individual day) in google maps to check the timing of it all so I don't bite off more than I can do. I normally plan trips for completion of an area so I try to play them all. Annoying to have to check multiple sites now to make sure I have them all but I'll then add the public ones here if missing once I confirm them. Also really annoying to plan a trip think I have played them all just to get back and a new course pops up just as I got back. I've been trying for years to play every course in VA and they just keep coming. I have complete RI twice now.

Most recent highlight was for my 39 Bday (ok the day after) on July 1st, I was still able to pull off a 100 Hole day. Not sure I had done that since my 20s.

Someone save me 360+ posts of reading and give me the technical definition "course bagger" please?

Someone save me 360+ posts of reading and give me the technical definition "course bagger" please?

Probably varies a bit from person to person, but I'd give a broad definition of:

"Someone who goes significantly out of their way, or makes a genuine effort, specifically to play courses they haven't played before. "

Some baggers play every course they can.
Other cherry pick the best.
Some do a little of each.

But I'd definitely say that bagging courses requires effort beyond playing what's in your area, or convenient for you to get to.

I don't think it's only about geographic spread.
Not that long ago, I made it a point to bag a bunch of local niners but I hadn't played before.

YMMV

Last edited:

what bogey said, but in image form
attachment.php

Attachments

• course bagger.JPG
    course bagger.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 156
Thanks. Trying to decide if I'm a bagger or not.

Last year I drove 800 miles one way to play a couple of courses. Also played a few on the way there and back.

This year I'll be flying 1500 miles from home to play a handful of courses.

Labor Day weekend I traveled three states to play five different courses.

Within my state I'll happily drive one to two hours to play certain courses.

I've also made it a point to play courses whenever I travel even if the trip isn't disc golf specific.

I know some of you baggers have played hundreds of courses and probably multiple courses in a day. Maybe my willingness to travel specifically to play qualifies me a some sort of bagger-lite?

How badly grown over were hole 4, 6 and 7?

Last time I was there, hole 6 had weeds taller than me, for the length of the entire "fairway".
Prairie golf was easier to find discs...

How badly grown over were hole 4, 6 and 7?

Last time I was there, hole 6 had weeds taller than me, for the length of the entire "fairway".
Prairie golf was easier to find discs...

I had to look this thing up. It gets a 2.0 on Udisc. By those standards it's pretty much a zero rating as usually even crappy courses get a 3.5 or 4.0 rating.

This clown seemed to enjoy it regardless of what the majority thought of the course.

27ea1a36f636eec76c4844a0d5fa16ae.jpg

Might have been scrambling from the "fairway" you described?

A disc golfer so enamored with the journey, that reading 360+ posts on bagging is considered part of the joy. :p

At least you didn't tell me that printing some sort of paper hard copy of the course before you go was a prerequisite. What is this? The Stone Age?

I had to look this thing up. It gets a 2.0 on Udisc. By those standards it's pretty much a zero rating as usually even crappy courses get a 3.5 or 4.0 rating.

This clown seemed to enjoy it regardless of what the majority thought of the course.

27ea1a36f636eec76c4844a0d5fa16ae.jpg

Might have been scrambling from the "fairway" you described?

Jake Key gives every course a 5.0, including many 1,2, or 3 hole practice layouts. He does more harm than good with his ratings. So for him to 'only' give a 4.0 means the course was likely on the brink of collapse

Thanks. Trying to decide if I'm a bagger or not.

Last year I drove 800 miles one way to play a couple of courses. Also played a few on the way there and back.

This year I'll be flying 1500 miles from home to play a handful of courses.

Labor Day weekend I traveled three states to play five different courses.

Within my state I'll happily drive one to two hours to play certain courses.

I've also made it a point to play courses whenever I travel even if the trip isn't disc golf specific.

I know some of you baggers have played hundreds of courses and probably multiple courses in a day. Maybe my willingness to travel specifically to play qualifies me a some sort of bagger-lite?

You sound like a bagger to me! No asterisks or "lites" attached. :D

Though printing pages from the PDGA website course directory WAS the only way to bag....back in the stone age.

What are you going to tell me next? That there was a time people needed to carry a pencil to keep score?

(Udisc wasn't a thing when I started playing but when it became available I embraced it. Mostly just for scoring but sometimes the course navigation is handy and they've recently implemented a feature that gives you an idea of how crowded a course is in real time.)

You sound like a bagger to me! No asterisks or "lites" attached. :D

Maybe I'm kind of a soft core bagger? I definitely don't make the time or have the energy to play more than one or two courses in a day. And I definitely don't review anything that I play because A- nobody cares what I think, and B- what I enjoy in a course may not be what someone else would enjoy.