• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course Baggers

I only travel to play great courses. I only play the other ones if I have extra time and it makes logistical sense. However, the majority of the courses that I have ever played, I wouldn't care to ever play again.
It's kind of stretching my credulity to believe that all 1517 courses you've played were great courses, so you must have bagged all kinds along the way. Plus, your July Ironman marathon may have been an exception to your MO, just for the experience, but by necessity proximity must have been a key factor, even though you may have anchored your route with high quality courses.

It's kind of stretching my credulity to believe that all 1517 courses you've played were great courses, so you must have bagged all kinds along the way. Plus, your July Ironman marathon may have been an exception to your MO, just for the experience, but by necessity proximity must have been a key factor, even though you may have anchored your route with high quality courses.

I was probably misusing the word great. I probably should have said "quality". I would say any course with a 3.5+ rating with 5+ reviews is probably a quality course. Also, I didn't say that I don't play other courses while traveling. I just said that I travel to play great courses-- in other words, that's my motivation. I stated specifically that I play other ones if I have time and it makes logistical sense. Regardless, I feel like we are saying the same thing, just stated in different ways with different terms.

Well Dan, I heard you are closing in on 2000. We would be honored if you would consider hitting that milestone at Sugaree.
. Word on the street is correct. 2k will be @ the IDGC WR Jackson course (God willing). To late in the game to change directions unless Mother Nature gives me no other choice as I have friends joining me from far away. Ironically WR Jackson was in the Stainless Steel buisness like my Dad in St. Louis back in the day, like my Dad. Ironically my 1k course (Crystal City Underground, Mo.)was in an old PPG plant that my Step Father retired from. Didn't plan it this way, just turned out that way.

. Word on the street is correct. 2k will be @ the IDGC WR Jackson course (God willing). To late in the game to change directions unless Mother Nature gives me no other choice as I have friends joining me from far away. Ironically WR Jackson was in the Stainless Steel buisness like my Dad in St. Louis back in the day, like my Dad. Ironically my 1k course (Crystal City Underground, Mo.)was in an old PPG plant that my Step Father retired from. Didn't plan it this way, just turned out that way.
Hard to argue with serendipity! Congrats.

Who's being competitive about it? I just love playing new courses, no matter what or where. I'm acutely aware that nobody else gives a rip about how many courses I've played, and at most it's just a talking point. Basically it's like your fantasy football team...important to you, but nobody else.

With that said, I've played some gooders along the way, and been incredibly surprised by what I expected to be average courses.

Oh, and some of my best DG memories are at some of the absolute crappiest courses you could imagine.

tl;dr: Live a little.

I've read it six times now and still don't see those words. What I see is that Mr. Sauls has recognized since 1k has been broken he doesn't see people as competitive. To any individual who does say they don't think course bagging is competitive I would recommend this site and all the baggers on here. Right now, I am battling it out with MushinNoShin both of us are sitting at 914 played but, I am pretty certain he will be passing me up as he is still out in Idaho and Montana area and will be head back to Wisco in September.

I stand corrected.

You guys have conspired to keep me ignorant. I've met a lot of people who've played a lot of courses, but never heard them express it in relation to any else's total. Perhaps they've just been sympathetic about my meager tally. But we know absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence, so I'll take your word that there's some sort of competition going on.

As long as you're getting what you want out out your journeys, (even if your objective is to avoid journeying altogether), who's to say you're right/wrong?

Bottom line: You do you. One size does not fit all.

DGCR gives you the tools to bag the way you wanna bag, and tally courses how you see fit. You're even allowed to change how you roll from time to time.

What would you say to folks who don't believe course bagging is competitive?

Well, the thing is, I know Mushin personally and really enjoy the fellow so it's more of a friendly competition to keep us bagging for more. I'll take any extra encouragement I can get at this juncture of my life!!

Sometimes there's more to bagging than just disc golf too...

I've played a ton of Chicagoland courses, and a lot of the time I'm riding my motorcycle to new courses. So I'm not just bagging a course, I'm also "bagging" a motorcycle trip. The crappiest course could have great scenery on the way, and it makes it that much better.

There should actually be some kind of award you earn on here for accomplishing this feat. It's actually damn near impossible to do. Bagging all the Chicagoland courses is probably more impressive than bagging ALL the courses in a handful of states. No joke.

7 years ago, the company I had been working for shut down operations. They laid me off in May, which allowed plenty of good weather to play dg. My two goals for that summer were to paint my house and play as much dg as possible.

Having my weekdays free made it easier to hit up a cluster of courses without too much traffic slowing things down. Having a wife and 2 year old meant it was harder to take multiday trips. So, I settled for playing everything I could in the Chicago area.

I bagged Ninigret in Rhode Island back when it was the only course in the state. So, yeah, I agree that bagging all of the Chicago area is a greater achievement than completing certain states.

Right now, I am battling it out with MushinNoShin both of us are sitting at 914 played

Cooliosciousness, didn't realize we're at 914, what are the Odds?... Missoula next week :D

The only time I checked your played Count, was when I reviewed the Pond, to reference your DG Sluttyness

Dang, guess now I'm play all those Practice Course Areas in Coeur D'Alene... or is that gonna Drop my DG Slugging Percentage?!? :p

I've played a ton of Chicagoland courses, and a lot of the time I'm riding my motorcycle to new courses. So I'm not just bagging a course, I'm also "bagging" a motorcycle trip. The crappiest course could have great scenery on the way, and it makes it that much better.

2 wheels and a motor makes bagging courses a lot more fun. I'll ride pretty far to play a low rated course if it looks like it will be a good ride to get there. I've done 100 miles round trip to play one 2 star rated 9 hole course and had a great time doing it.

The other way I do it is to plan a ride then look for courses on the way. I'm already doing the ride so it doesn't matter how good the course is.

This as well. I've stumbled across the extremely cool places that I NEVER would have stepped foot (or vehicle) in any other way. I think a LOT of us bag to travel, and travel to bag. Why else would I have ever been to Rhode Island twice?

There should actually be some kind of award you earn on here for accomplishing this feat. It's actually damn near impossible to do. Bagging all the Chicagoland courses is probably more impressive than bagging ALL the courses in a handful of states. No joke.

I once cleared my 'played radius' out over 100 miles from Cincinnati, and dream of clearing every course within the 125 miles (+) map from my home...

...but they keep building new courses! :D:D

I once cleared my 'played radius' out over 100 miles from Cincinnati, and dream of clearing every course within the 125 miles (+) map from my home...

See, this is where I fail as a bagger. I love seeing different parts of the country, and how designers make interesting courses out of wildly varying landscapes.

But closer to home I have 14 un-played courses within 50 miles, and nearly 50 un-played courses within 75 miles. Some are new, some have restrictions, and some I just haven't gotten to yet.

But many are just . . . meh, I don't really care if I ever play them. :eek:

Heresy, I know. I suppose that boring courses somewhere else are more interesting than boring local courses. :rolleyes:

...but they keep building new courses! :D:D

I haven't even cleared my 3 mile radius.

Hey Mando,

Did you see post 52 in this thread?
That was a hint just for you.

well I checked my hole number totals. 7,522 unique holes.
thus 7,522/513 equals 14.66 holes per course.

I wonder what this average is for the 1000 plus crew?

perhaps their diamond basket medal should change to this if their average is under 15.0 I know I'll be gunning for it.
attachment.php

I am also around 14. Ill try to get the number tomorrow when Im in my office.