• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course Baggers

I introduced a new player to the sport this month and told him that DGCR has the best reviews and showed him the site. I also showed him UDisc for finding courses and keeping score. I think both sites have their uses.

How much value does DGCR still have when people will make posts on this site asking for course recommendations? If members won't even look at the reviews and ratings on this site, how much more difficult is it to convince people to use two websites (here and UDisc) for playing?

So I saw that a new course got posted in the Milwaukee area, a place I visit yearly and throw. I look at the new course page and notice that the conditions read as follows "Course map shows 9 holes. Was only able to find the basket for hole 8."

Two big time course baggers then marked the course as played. Coolbrees15 (1851 courses) and Slornur (1905 courses)
The course is not listed on Udisc or Discgolfscene or on the school's website.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=14090

are we just making courses up now? or can just put a portable in the car and drive to every nearby open field and count it a course played. Playing one basket is not a course played, it is a practice area at best.

FIRST iVE HEARD OF THIS . . . ILL TRY TO FIND SOME TIME TO GO FIND THE COURSE IF ACCESS TO THE PROPERTY IS NOT AN ISSUE

I find it interesting that the top course baggers, for the most part, do not write course reviews. Of the top 10 baggers, three have no reviews and six have three or fewer reviews. Extending to the top 20, you get prolific reviewers such as The Valkyrie Kid, Pizza God and harr0140, but you've got 5 out of 20 with NO reviews and 10 out of 20 with three or fewer reviews. Not intended as a criticism; it's just a comment.

I transitioned from writing reviews on here to posting photos and critiques on facebook. I just didnt have time to assemble both formats. When you are playing 100 courses a year as I have been . . . it just got to be too much work. Facebook got me more viewers and discussions and was easier to do more than just write a review. I wish I could go back and write them all I just dont have time anymore.

How much value does DGCR still have when people will make posts on this site asking for course recommendations? If members won't even look at the reviews and ratings on this site, how much more difficult is it to convince people to use two websites (here and UDisc) for playing?

I'm sure some are doing what you say, but I think there are plenty of people who look at reviews AND post on the forums looking for recommendations (I'll do both and check Udisc if needed). There are a few experienced baggers who post on the forums, but don't write reviews. Also, less popular courses might not have any recent reviews. The review side is my first stop for planning, but I've gotten plenty of useful info on the forums too.

I'm planning a trip for this weekend and I hate that I have to go back and forth between here and Udisc to make sure I have found all the courses. I'll add an public ones from Udisc that aren't on here once I've played and confirmed it exists and I request/suggest that the owner of any private course add their course on here as well. One of my biggest complaints about Udisc in regard to trip planning is the info provide on the summary page. I like to print out a summary page and map if I can because some of these places don't have service. And Udisc doesn't show address and such and is formatted awful for printing especially maps. Don't get me wrong a GPS map while playing is great unless you don't have service.

I also use to write reviews when years ago. Stopped at 69 reviews for some reason. The biggest being I rarely had more to add in a review that wasn't already said. I could have/would have given courses ratings if they were seperate from reviews.

I ain't got time to write all them reviews--- I'm playing courses...

I would rate them without writing a review if that was an option. I have them all rated by the DGCR system on my personal Excel file.

As a side note, I'm currently at 2,046. A month from now I'll be at 2,200+. It's go time!
Looks like you had a helluva day today! Which was your favorite?

After a long Bday weekend I have reclaimed (free and clear of any extinct courses) #1 in VA. I still need to get to some of the newer courses in the SW part of the state but Limestone Ledges has really come into it's own and is now one my top courses in the state.

After a long Bday weekend I have reclaimed (free and clear of any extinct courses) #1 in VA.
With the New DGCR is there any way to easily find the Top Baggers in every state? I can't find it, so it seems to be missing, but maybe I just don't know where to look.

P.S.- I think that Extinct courses should always be included in one's course count because that was a course that you played. It's too bad if others weren't able to, but that doesn't change the reality that you played the course.

PPS- I put Temp courses in the same category as my PS.

PPPS- Gottafixit, in Delaware I'm only 1 course away from completing the state (and it's a 9 hole camp course that was damaged in a spring storm), but I will never catch up to your DE total because you have played several extinct courses in DE. That's just the way it is.

Top Bagger hasn't made the transition yet that I am aware of. Hoping they can eventually make sure all the old features make it over to this new version of the site.

After a long Bday weekend I have reclaimed (free and clear of any extinct courses) #1 in VA.
You've had the Most Courses played in Virginia for quite a while now, probably since 2021.

You've had the Most Courses played in Virginia for quite a while now, probably since 2021.
I agree but there was a search option that would return me as second and I could not let that stand so I played (and added) more courses.

I still need to get to some of the newer courses in the SW part of the state...
I really enjoyed The Ridge in Big Stone Gap down in the corner of SW Virginia! It's not long, but the course sure makes great use of the elevation changes and side sloping fairways & greens.

I agree but there was a search option that would return me as second and I could not let that stand so I played (and added) more courses.
What search option? I'm rather frustrated trying to figure out the features of the New DGCR. I assume you're not talking about the Top Baggers list.

What search option? I'm rather frustrated trying to figure out the features of the New DGCR. I assume you're not talking about the Top Baggers list.
It was the top baggers if you didn't select include extinct and practice. You had number one in VA for just current active courses for a good while. Just a toggle to see myself as number one but wanted it in all categories.

I am still waiting to see if the course baggers ever comes back I'm still on the fence…

With the New DGCR is there any way to easily find the Top Baggers in every state? I can't find it, so it seems to be missing, but maybe I just don't know where to look.

P.S.- I think that Extinct courses should always be included in one's course count because that was a course that you played. It's too bad if others weren't able to, but that doesn't change the reality that you played the course.

PPS- I put Temp courses in the same category as my PS.

PPPS- Gottafixit, in Delaware I'm only 1 course away from completing the state (and it's a 9 hole camp course that was damaged in a spring storm), but I will never catch up to your DE total because you have played several extinct courses in DE. That's just the way it is.
Along with you all, I'm anxiously awaiting the implementation of the Top Baggers list too.

Agree with the above, the Top Baggers should include Extinct courses, and Temp courses, if you played it, you played it. They could include the check boxes to exclude those, for members that want to look at them that way.

I also think the Top Baggers list should include Practice Areas (it didn't when we last saw the list), it may not be a place we consider an actual course (tees, signs, baskets), but as long as it has baskets (maybe tone poles) we can still throw plastic at them. Please include those in the course count, a check box to exclude could be added.

Hmm, including Practice Areas is a slippery slope. Not in favor of that. What if I set up a portable basket in my backyard?

Maybe you'd prefer DGPracticeAreas.com. ;)