• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course Closure--Heritage Trails, Slinger, WI

jhgonzo

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Just passing on some info I read on Facebook regarding Heritage Trails Park in Slinger, WI...the course has been pulled and is not going back in, apparently due to lack of funds because people weren't paying the $4. This one was on my wish list, but I don't think I'll lose any sleep over this course going extinct. Always sucks to hear when a local course is pulled, though. :thmbdown:

The first five or so holes were kind of boring but the rest of the course wasn't bad. There were quite a few elevated holes, something we don't have a lot of around Milwaukee. It does suck to hear a local course is getting pulled. Outside of Riverside in West Bend (replacing Villa Park), I don't know of another new course opening in Southeastern Wisconsin this year.

I was so excited driving up to the course (the land is perfect for DG!), I put $10 in the box. I was so disappointed after playing the front 9 that after I viewed the back 9 from 10's tee pad (with the help of a couple locals who were there) I turned around and left the course.

Very disappointing course. How on earth they thought they would get a $4 voluntary donation to play that place is beyond me! Obviously by the hole design and the rationale for pay to play, the people who put it in do not understand disc golf or disc golfers. I hope the baskets end up in a much better place.

I was so excited driving up to the course (the land is perfect for DG!), I put $10 in the box. I was so disappointed after playing the front 9 that after I viewed the back 9 from 10's tee pad (with the help of a couple locals who were there) I turned around and left the course.

Very disappointing course. How on earth they thought they would get a $4 voluntary donation to play that place is beyond me! Obviously by the hole design and the rationale for pay to play, the people who put it in do not understand disc golf or disc golfers. I hope the baskets end up in a much better place.

That's funny. I did exactly the same thing. I have a friend who lives in Slinger and he showed some interest in trying DG, so I drove up there and we went to that course last summer. He was coming off back surgery and he has elbow problems, so after the first nine, he said he'd had enough, but to be honest, I looked at the second nine and was not disappointed we were leaving. :thmbdown:

The first five or so holes were kind of boring but the rest of the course wasn't bad. There were quite a few elevated holes, something we don't have a lot of around Milwaukee. It does suck to hear a local course is getting pulled. Outside of Riverside in West Bend (replacing Villa Park), I don't know of another new course opening in Southeastern Wisconsin this year.

I don't know what you consider Southeastern WI, but I know of 3 new courses "for sure", and a number of others that are past the approval stage. 18 holes in Marshall (5 miles from me), 18 holes on Madison's southeast side, (30 minutes, tops), and the last I heard, 18 holes in Green Lake (an hour?), sounded pretty certain, though I don't know as much about that one. Also, 9 holes are being added to Vallarta Ast (Token Creek), making 27 total. :thmbup:

I don't know what you consider Southeastern WI, but I know of 3 new courses "for sure", and a number of others that are past the approval stage. 18 holes in Marshall (5 miles from me), 18 holes on Madison's southeast side, (30 minutes, tops), and the last I heard, 18 holes in Green Lake (an hour?), sounded pretty certain, though I don't know as much about that one. Also, 9 holes are being added to Vallarta Ast (Token Creek), making 27 total. :thmbup:

Not at all disappointed that Slinger is closing, what a waste that was.

koogs, what park in Madison did you hear about? I started playing the game at Heistand and lived in Madison for 5 years.

I suppose 9 more at Token will make it a bit more appealing, unless they raise the fees by 50%. It's beautiful and well designed for a white or blue player, but lacks quite a bit of truly unique holes.

Who is designing the Marshal course?

The Green Lake one I think is Zobel park. It's being hyped quite a bit around here. I think some time in May, I'm gonna get a bunch of the WI reviewers to head out and play it for a good kickoff.

I'd consider those Southeastern, WI - though I hadn't heard about any of them until reading this post. Obviously I was hoping for something a bit closer to home - but Marshall and Madison makes a nice nice day trip. That area does need a few more courses.

Hopefully the rates don't go up at Token Creek. I do not mind paying for a round of disc golf, but when there are courses just as good the same distance from home, it's tough to shell out two gallons of gas ($8) to play a round.

Last edited:
Not at all disappointed that Slinger is closing, what a waste that was.

koogs, what park in Madison did you hear about? I started playing the game at Heistand and lived in Madison for 5 years.

I suppose 9 more at Token will make it a bit more appealing, unless they raise the fees by 50%. It's beautiful and well designed for a white or blue player, but lacks quite a bit of truly unique holes.

Who is designing the Marshal course?

The Green Lake one I think is Zobel park. It's being hyped quite a bit around here. I think some time in May, I'm gonna get a bunch of the WI reviewers to head out and play it for a good kickoff.

I'd consider those Southeastern, WI - though I hadn't heard about any of them until reading this post. Obviously I was hoping for something a bit closer to home - but Marshall and Madison makes a nice nice day trip. That area does need a few more courses.

Hopefully the rates don't go up at Token Creek. I do not mind paying for a round of disc golf, but when there are courses just as good the same distance from home, it's tough to shell out two gallons of gas ($8) to play a round.

The Madison location is Lake Farm County Park just off the beltline between Lake Monona and Lake Waubesa. The fairways have already been cut, but just recently, I saw on the Mad City website that there's a delay now for "archeological reasons". Hope it doesn't hold things up too long. The Marshall course is on schedule for a summer opening, last I heard. They're beginning to work on concrete tee pads, I believe. I think the designer is Duster, but don't quote me on that. The new 9 at Token includes a couple 600' and a 500' hole and will have some "bunkers" and an island green. The fee has been announced at $8, but that will also include Lake Farm when it's finished, as will a season pass. The one I mentioned in Green Lake is, indeed, Zobel. I don't know much about it as far as it's progress, but I read an informal review of it from someone who's played it already, and he said it would be one of the best in the state when finished. That's some serious hype. If you guys get this way to play these courses, give me a shout, I'd love to hook up. Superberry, I know you're familiar with "my course", and esjaygee, you should play it if you're in the area. It's a pretty tough 9 holer for a city park course.

Lake Farm is NOT gonna happen if there are "archaeological" issues!!!!!!! Be prepared. Even if it goes in now, it will slowly die away as the activists find something to protest. You know the Walker Bill is dying down they'll need something else, and hippies walking all over some section of land that once had some significance to someone, is a perfect excuse to protest and make themselves feel the acomplishment their parents never showed them.

Let's go play Zobel. I too read about this "best in the state" hype. I do not believe this same person has played Winter Park, Highbridge, or Justin Trails though!

Lake Farm is NOT gonna happen if there are "archaeological" issues!!!!!!! Be prepared. Even if it goes in now, it will slowly die away as the activists find something to protest. You know the Walker Bill is dying down they'll need something else, and hippies walking all over some section of land that once had some significance to someone, is a perfect excuse to protest and make themselves feel the acomplishment their parents never showed them.

Let's go play Zobel. I too read about this "best in the state" hype. I do not believe this same person has played Winter Park, Highbridge, or Justin Trails though!

You may be right about Lake Farm, hopefully not. There are also 2 other locations proposed on the south side of Mad. They're each about 5-10 minutes from each other. I took a drive a while back and checked out all 3 and Lake Farm was the best looking of them. I'd love to play Zobel, do you know if it's playable now? Should check with Tallpaul, he seems to know almost everything. Off topic: esjaygee, you're obviously a Packer fan, and super, maybe? Thought you'd enjoy a disc I dyed.

Attachments

• DSCN9068.jpg
    DSCN9068.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 9
I think Zobel is complete...

I'm planning a trip out that way, too, so maybe we can all meet up! I have it planned for a short road-trip day when I can also try to get in a round at Burr Oak and maybe the Forest Junction course either on the way out or the way back.

I think Zobel is complete...

I'm planning a trip out that way, too, so maybe we can all meet up! I have it planned for a short road-trip day when I can also try to get in a round at Burr Oak and maybe the Forest Junction course either on the way out or the way back.

Let's do it. I'm free most afternoons, sometimes pretty early, and weekends. My son would come too, if he's not working. And where the heck are Burr Oak and Forest Junction? I found the city of Forest Junction, but no course. And I found nothing for Burr Oak. Are these private?

The Zoebel designer is one of the (then, pretty) young, assistant designers up at High Bridge. I have also heard very good things about Zoebel.

Burr Oak is private. It would be best to bring a fairly large group to play....we will have to arrange this in advance. The Zoebel designer is also the Burr Oak designer; and it's his families' land that Burr is located on. We should do Burr in true summer though; as there is a hole that shoots across an inlet that you must either swim or ride a canoe across to finish....

I can probably hook you guys up to play Forest Junction (Freitag Park) with the designer there also. Summer is the best time there too; as Junction is underwater in the spring. Only trouble in the summer is mosquitoes. Junction will probably make all of your; "this is a pretty unique course," lists....

Last edited:
Burr Oak is private. It would be best to bring a fairly large group to play....we will have to arrange this in advance. The Zoebel designer is also the Burr Oak designer; and it's his families' land that Burr is located on. We should do Burr in true summer though; as there is a hole that shoots across an inlet that you must either swim or ride a canoe across to finish....

I can probably hook you guys up to play Forest Junction (Freitag Park) with the designer there also. Summer is the best time there too; as Junction is underwater in the spring. Only trouble in the summer is mosquitoes. Junction will probably make all of your; "this is a pretty unique course," lists....

Private, Rolling Ridge, is also near Junction, and should be played if a gang gets together. This full plan of action is really more like a weekend or two day trips though; as both Rolling Ridge and Burr Oaks are long plays; especially with a lot of people.

Sucks anytime baskets are derooted. I think they should keep the courses that have been removed on the map but black baskets marking them. i have been trying to look up Pease Park in Austin, Tx which has recently been removed- i was never able to mark it as played, but now im just curious as to what happens to those files? i would just like to look at the pics again, that course was awesome. Does anyone know how to access pages of dead courses????

thanks, it woulda taken me a while to figure that one out..

Off topic: esjaygee, you're obviously a Packer fan, and super, maybe? Thought you'd enjoy a disc I dyed.

Excellent job on the disc! My brother and I were talking about trying our hand at dying some discs - seeing something like that makes me want a nice Packer disc myself.

This course did suck but maybe a new one will open in Washington County. I work in the planning and parks department for Washington County but in the land and water conservation division, not the parks division. There is some awesome land in the county with all moraines and other glacial features so maybe I can talk to the guy and convince him to get a new one in the ground. It would be nice to get some quality courses between the crowded milwaukee courses and the fox city courses with all the awesome land with elevation up there. I just started about a month a go and kinda know the head of the parks department so hopefully he'll consider some of my ideas about getting a new course in.

Latest posts