• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

Yes.

This snake has been virtiually adopted by our DG club as our mascot. We've named him Fluffy.

-Dave
How do you know it's a him?
Has anyone sexed Fluffy?
...or were you able to determine gender from Fluffy's facebook page?

How do you know it's a him?
Has anyone sexed Fluffy?
...or were you able to determine gender from Fluffy's facebook page?

Dudes usually have a longer pointy tail, the dudettes have shorter stubbier tails. Usually tough to tell though, unless compared side by side. Even then... Snakes are pretty androgenous.
Best way to tell is probing, but there's no way a snake would be cool with that process.

Last edited:
Last week, I was finishing a hole at a local course, and to get to the next hole, I had to walk through a large gaggle of Canada Geese. About 50 feet off to the side, a bunch of teenagers were sitting on the grass, just hanging out. As I was walking among the geese, one of them got cranky and came at me fast, neck down, in what I guess is "beast mode" for a goose. He looked like he was going for my ankles. I still had my G-Star Aviar in my hand, so I flipped it, bent down, and whacked him in the head with the flat side to ward him off, which it did.

My older son thinks I'm clueless about social media and technology, but I was fully aware of the presence of those teenagers and their cell phones...........and this is one 6'4", 240-pound middle-aged guy who will NOT be in a viral video running away from a goose:\

Oddly, I have never seen a Canadian Goose get aggressive like this, even in the spring, when they tend to be a bit higher-strung.

Last week, I was finishing a hole at a local course, and to get to the next hole, I had to walk through a large gaggle of Canada Geese. About 50 feet off to the side, a bunch of teenagers were sitting on the grass, just hanging out. As I was walking among the geese, one of them got cranky and came at me fast, neck down, in what I guess is "beast mode" for a goose. He looked like he was going for my ankles. I still had my G-Star Aviar in my hand, so I flipped it, bent down, and whacked him in the head with the flat side to ward him off, which it did.

My older son thinks I'm clueless about social media and technology, but I was fully aware of the presence of those teenagers and their cell phones...........and this is one 6'4", 240-pound middle-aged guy who will NOT be in a viral video running away from a goose:\

Oddly, I have never seen a Canadian Goose get aggressive like this, even in the spring, when they tend to be a bit higher-strung.

I have been witness to two Canadian Goose attacks. Both having the human come out on the losing end. One requiring stitches in the ear at the local hospital. Once they take flight from that, neck down, beast mode, they are a handful. I dare say, despite your size, you were lucky.

My drive once landed directly beside an alligator snapping turtle (on land). He squared up like he was going to take me down, and he would not let me get behind him. For a freaking turtle, the thing was FAST.

We also had armadillos all over the course at Regional Park, in Ardmore OK. The are fun to mess with because i don't think they see very well. You can sneak up behind them and gently tap their shell. They jump about 3 feet in teh air and take off.

From the CDC: "In the southern United States, some armadillos are naturally infected with the bacteria that cause Hansen's disease [leprosy] in people and it may be possible that they can spread it to people. However, the risk is very low and most people who come into contact with armadillos are unlikely to get Hansen's disease."

Was climbing down from the Top Of The World shot at Diamond X (18 Blue) and saw this little fella hanging on the cliff face.
Didn't know we had these in Montana.

picture.php

Dr. Mantis Toboggan.

I was afraid of that. Well, here's a picture that won't do it justice; the video shows it reared up and hustling down the dam.

IMG_0214.jpg

(The kid is not part of the Pond Diver Protection System. She is part of the Tree Protection System, confronting us every time we pick up a chain saw).

....and just like that, I concluded that swimming season is over; that the pond water is too cold, and probably will be until about 2024.

The dog cornered a copperhead between hole 15 and 16 at Rockland Park today. It was poised ready to strike when I got the boy back on the leash. Sorry the dog wouldn't let me go back for a picture.

....and just like that, I concluded that swimming season is over; that the pond water is too cold, and probably will be until about 2024.

Glad everyone still has all their digits. :thmbup:

The dog cornered a copperhead between hole 15 and 16 at Rockland Park today. It was poised ready to strike when I got the boy back on the leash. Sorry the dog wouldn't let me go back for a picture.
Glad you were able to get the pooch out of there in time. :)

Latest posts