• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

Down in Texas for a work trip, played yesterday and threw my disc onto a steep overgrown hillside. Started fighting my way through the tall grass and brush up the hill and ran right into a big web with a Black Widow hanging out right in the middle. Don't see those too often in Chicago!

Normally I would take a picture of something cool that I see out on the course, but in this case I jumped back and squealed like a little girl way too quickly to get my phone out. Good thing it was just a DX Roc.

Down in Texas for a work trip, played yesterday and threw my disc onto a steep overgrown hillside. Started fighting my way through the tall grass and brush up the hill and ran right into a big web with a Black Widow hanging out right in the middle. Don't see those too often in Chicago!

Normally I would take a picture of something cool that I see out on the course, but in this case I jumped back and squealed like a little girl way too quickly to get my phone out. Good thing it was just a DX Roc.

Black Widows and other and other bad@$$ creatures: helping DG'ers get in touch with their inner little girl.

Sunday I spent about 45 minutes minutes max. designing some new holes at a park in WNY. The area was slightly wooded but no overgrown grass at all. Afterwards, I stopped at a friend's house. While shooting the sh*t I felt something behind my ear. That would be deer tick #1. About 10 minutes later, his wife looked on my shirt collar and noticed what would be deer tick #2. And to cap it off, on my drive home, I looked down at my pant leg and there was lovely deer tick #3.
Needless to say, I showered & searched my entire body including using a mirror to look at my back and then washed my clothing in hot water and then left them in dryer for a good 45 minutes. I don't if I would call them critters or little monsters!

I have a friend, not on DGCR, who yesterday had a fawn follow him around a course for 6 holes, like a dog, curious and calm enough to be petted.

best to shoo those away. Mom probably isn't very far away and might just put a hoof through your forehead for getting to close to her baby.

more deer lore... i had an Ohio State Trooper tell me there were more motorists killed by deer that had been (non fatally) struck than in crashes involving drunk drivers.

more deer lore... i had an Ohio State Trooper tell me there were more motorists killed by deer that had been struck than in crashes involving drunk drivers.

Had an Indiana county sheriff tell me the same (after I hit a deer on an interstate).

I met this shy turtle, about a foot (30 cm) long, today at Sunset Hills in Pekin, Il. (Ledgestone) Spoiler tagged for big image.

9tv49EH.png

Black Widows and other and other bad@$$ creatures: helping DG'ers get in touch with their inner little girl.

I have the opposite reaction for some reason. I forget about disc golf and would be perfectly happy hanging out with the critter. We get gila monsters, rattlesnakes, scorpions...ect here and im obsessed with all of them.

Maybe its from growing up with the bland wildlife in the midwest.

Attachments

• 20190119_174353~2.jpg
    20190119_174353~2.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 20180903_105148~2.jpg
    20180903_105148~2.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 20170711_182704.jpg
    20170711_182704.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 89
I recognize Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner, but I can't recall an episode with a gila monster. :\

Not too exotic but probably the longest racer snake I've ever seen next to a tee box at Seth Burton Memorial Park in Fairmont, WV.

ABpPqNb.jpg

That's a beauty! It's actually a Rat Snake, though. Racers are skinnier and have a rounder crossection, have more narrow, pointed heads, and lack any pattern (at least in in your part of the country).

I apologize if you don't care about any of this. I'm a bit of a snake geek. That said, if you do care, here are some helpful websites for comparison.

Rat Snake
Racer

^ This. We have seen several Eastern (Black) Rat Snakes lately. One at an outdoor wedding, which caused a bit of commotion.

Not sure if the large number of sightings is coincidence, or if Eastern Rat Snakes are particularly abundant this year.

The turtle I photographed on the previous page of this thread was out there again today! This time Madison Walker grabbed a photo of it. If any of you are Madison Walker fans and follow her on media, the big turtle photo from this morning is the same one.

I hope it's out there tomorrow and Sunday, too. It's a neat bit of continuity.

Saw a few large turkeys at Bryant Lake Park with in MN. They were eating something on the #5(I think) green.

Attachments

• 7EF75F0D-1F5E-4CD9-B752-BDD51B7D4F89.jpg
    7EF75F0D-1F5E-4CD9-B752-BDD51B7D4F89.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 52
That's a beauty! It's actually a Rat Snake, though. Racers are skinnier and have a rounder crossection, have more narrow, pointed heads, and lack any pattern (at least in in your part of the country).

I apologize if you don't care about any of this. I'm a bit of a snake geek. That said, if you do care, here are some helpful websites for comparison.

Good info and thanks for the correction, I'm decent on most critters but not that great when it comes to Mr No-Shoulders.

Latest posts