• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

This weekend, a disc golf friend of my posted a picture on Facebook of a huge rattlesnake he killed at at Crooked Creek Park, on hole #5 of the Pro 9, which often has tall grass and always has a swampy drainage area. In the picture someone is holding it at shoulder height, with both the head and tail drooped almost to the ground. It must be 8-9' long, 5-6" thick.

It's been the topic of conversation.

It's also not true. Well, not exactly. It's a real snake, killed in an area junkyard. The disc golfer who posted it, claiming it was on the disc golf course, did so as a joke.

I'd post the picture here but it's been pulled, after the furor it caused among park and public safety officials. Apparently if you post something like this on Facebook, word gets around. Who knew?

Technically, this is a story about a critter that was not found on the disc golf course. But it was, or at least was believed to be, for 48 hours, so I thought I'd share it anyway.

This weekend, a disc golf friend of my posted a picture on Facebook of a huge rattlesnake he killed at at Crooked Creek Park, on hole #5 of the Pro 9, which often has tall grass and always has a swampy drainage area. In the picture someone is holding it at shoulder height, with both the head and tail drooped almost to the ground. It must be 8-9' long, 5-6" thick.

It's been the topic of conversation.

It's also not true. Well, not exactly. It's a real snake, killed in an area junkyard. The disc golfer who posted it, claiming it was on the disc golf course, did so as a joke.

I'd post the picture here but it's been pulled, after the furor it caused among park and public safety officials. Apparently if you post something like this on Facebook, word gets around. Who knew?

Technically, this is a story about a critter that was not found on the disc golf course. But it was, or at least was believed to be, for 48 hours, so I thought I'd share it anyway.

Hey Dave, that's a time honored and often effective tactic (works for favorite fishing, camping, and other outdoor spots). Don't tell everyone!

Out of towner: "How's such-and-such course?"

Local: "Beautiful. You'll enjoy it."

Out of towner: "Any pro tips?"

Local: "No, pretty straight-forward. Just watch out for rattlesnakes." [shows picture of some monster from anywhere besides the course/fishing hole/place in question]

Apparently when you do it for a public park next to a school, and the tale reaches Facebook, it doesn't stop there.

I couldn't see this snapping turtle when I took my upshot a couple of months ago at hole 14 at Wills Park, but I was sure surprised when I walked up to my disc. I don't think I hit it...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DG-SnappingTurtle-Hole14-WillsPark.jpg
    DG-SnappingTurtle-Hole14-WillsPark.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 345
  • DG-SnappingTurtle-Hole14-WillsPark2.jpg
    DG-SnappingTurtle-Hole14-WillsPark2.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 344
No pics, but I saw a family of wild turkeys at Hummel Park in Omaha, NE last Tuesday. A momma and about five or six chicks chasing her through the underbrush near one of the tees.

Moose

Had a Bull Moose blocking hole 14 at Kincaid Park, AK.

Attachments

• moose.jpg
    moose.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 165
BEES. This past evening we were discing and my brother set his bag down only to find it swarmed by bees moments later. I noticed his dog started looking hurt and I thought she was getting bitten by something. I then saw several bees on her and I tried to get them off and I succeeded, also getting stung in the process. Poor pup was stung numerous times, I am not sure how many.

So for the next 10 or more minutes there was literally a small swarm of bees circling his bag and we had to figure out how to deal with it. I don't know why or how this happened but we suspect he set his bag down on a nest. It was nuts, I've never seen anything like it. This was also the first time I've ever been stung by a bee.

haha classic response.

I was playing Burke lake (VA) a few years ago. The second hole I think it was where you have to go around the tree right in front of the tee off. My friend really hucked his shot and broke a gooses neck. (I don't think he throws that disc anymore) he says it's bad Karma which I would have to agree.

I posted a while back in this thread that I knocked a woodpecker (actually a northern flicker, for the bird folks) out of a tree after a wayward drive. The destroyer that I used was a favorite of mine up until that day... then it went to crap. I recently lost it too. Good riddance, I say. Karma indeed.

There is a huge Owl that hangs out around #8 fairway at Osage Grove. The last three times Ive played there in the evening, the owl or owls has made an appearance. Seems to roost in the shadows of the trees on up near the basket. I am wondering if there is a parent bird and a juvenile hanging around. The first sighting took my breath away, i swear the wingspan was 7 ft. Last night it didnt look as big. Huge,yellow, glow in the dusk eyes the owl has. If you get a chance to play Osage at Goshen in the evening , keep an eye out for the birds. You may want to leave the small pets and children in the car when playing here, the owl is looking fierce.

Yesterday I was playing at a very quite course, I was the only one there...

I was playing a wooded hole and as I went in the woods to retrieve a disc, I spooked a Deer that was laying down.. scared the begezzess out of me at first, I heard this blow, and a loud noise in the leaves.... when I looked up I saw its White Tail waving good... my first deer spotted playing DG...

I was playing an all putter round yesterday at a small course. On the last hole my disc went into some heavy rough, very wooded patch. A lot of underbrush and trees. I'm right in the middle of it looking for my white Mamba.

While looking through the brush I feel a sharp sting on the inside part of my calf. Ouch! I slap my leg and look down and there's a bright red dot. I thought I'd been stung by a bee but after looking it up online the "wound" matches the bite of a fire ant.

Now, it itches like a mother.

Due to circumstances, I see a lot of critters on a disc golf course---but mostly, when I'm on the disc golf course, not playing disc golf. Which, due to circumstances, I am a lot. I'm not quite sure where this story fits in.

Stoney Hill has a pond that swallows a lot of discs. I swim in it, for recreation and to drag the bottom with my feet, retrieving those discs.

Well, today, from shore, I spotted two pretty good sized snapping turtles, which I'd never seen in the wild before. Technically it wasn't while playing disc golf, but they'll no doubt affect our feelings about throwing in water, and our eagerness to dive in and retrieve discs.

Anyone know anything about snapping turtle repellent?

I was playing an all putter round yesterday at a small course. On the last hole my disc went into some heavy rough, very wooded patch. A lot of underbrush and trees. I'm right in the middle of it looking for my white Mamba.

While looking through the brush I feel a sharp sting on the inside part of my calf. Ouch! I slap my leg and look down and there's a bright red dot. I thought I'd been stung by a bee but after looking it up online the "wound" matches the bite of a fire ant.

Now, it itches like a mother.

Few people get bitten by just one fire ant. Consider yourself lucky. Sort of.

A while back my brother and I ran into an angry mockingbird. I assume it was a female because she swooped out of her nest to attack my disc on the ground. Apparently my approach shot was too close to her babies. She was pecking and jumping all over the disc. It was pretty hilarious to see this nutty bird beating up my Ion. :)

Latest posts