• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

While building Nevin, I'd be out at 7am as the sun rose. I saw a fox or number of fox come trotting down the new path. They seemed to appreciate the ability to move more freely in the woods. I only have one problem with the fox, one unanswered question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jofNR_WkoCE

Hopefully this video explains it better for everyone with the same question.

baby squirrel at lakewood hills in MN clambered up onto my shoe while i was on the teepad. one of our cardmates took a DNF so he could take it home. obviously abandoned by the mother.

A herd of armadillos. Lightly skipped a disc under one and it jumped about 3 feet off the ground lol. Also on hole 1 today I was putting about 50 ft away from 3 deer. They just stood there and watched for about ten minutes.

Saw a fledgling Meadowlark at Eagle Ridge in Oswego, IL on Saturday. Really pretty bird.

Played Stafford Lake County Park DGC yesterday for the first time. After 6 holes of getting rained on, the sun peaked out and we 12 holes of beautiful Northern CA weather.

Saw two of these guys on hole 14 or 15:

JackRabbitatStafford.jpg

Always steer well clear of these guys when I see them out on the course (or on my lawn)

velvetant1.jpg

We call them cow killer ants here in Georgia but they are really a form of wasp.

You can step on one of these things (with shoes on of course) and as long as the ground is not pavement or solid like a rock they are very tough and will spring back almost instantly. I've heard that they are really painful if they sting you.

Always solitary insects, be mindful when picking up your tee shots in the south.

Always steer well clear of these guys when I see them out on the course (or on my lawn)

velvetant1.jpg

We call them cow killer ants here in Georgia but they are really a form of wasp.

You can step on one of these things (with shoes on of course) and as long as the ground is not pavement or solid like a rock they are very tough and will spring back almost instantly. I've heard that they are really painful if they sting you.

Always solitary insects, be mindful when picking up your tee shots in the south.

Indeed. You can take a stick, hold them down and they will squeak/hiss. I've never been stung by one, but know someone who has. That person said it was like getting poked w/ a red hot needle.

I was watching a cow killer ant crossing a fairway at Stoney Hill when, as it passed a broadleaf weed, a black widow pounced from underneath and ambushed it. Monster wars, on a very small scale.

Allegedly, the reason they're called "cow killer ants" is not that they kill cows, but that the pain is so bad that it "hurts enough to kill a cow".

Had a small snake nearly slither into me it realized it then slithered and nearly ran into my friend before going away. Almost stepped on another black snake right after leaving a tee pad. Seen several deer on a college campus course just yesterday and lots of squirrels and bunnies and stuff.

...like getting poked w/ a red hot needle.
Some people pay to experience pain like that.
Maybe Mistress Natasha should pick up a few of those for some of her more jaded clients. :p

A hawk swooped down and followed my disc for a few seconds. I wonder if he we trying to determine if the disc was edible, and if he would attack it. When the disc started to fade, he lost interest. Lucky, too. It was a good drive for a birdie. :)

Playing Stoney Hill yesterday---or technically, quitting play and trudging back towards my house in disgust---I came up from the back side of the dam and saw turmoil in the pond. Thinking it was a the mysterious waterfowl that's been diving in there the last few weeks, I waited for it to submerge and then hustled up to the edge of the pond to finally get a good I.D.

Much to my surprise, an otter popped his head up.

Made more special by the fact that, until the day before, I hadn't realized we had otters in this region. I had been walking a river about a mile away and seen two. So a day after that surprise, I got the bigger surprise of having a pair of otters on the course.

Now, if we can just train them to retrieve discs......

Great Horned Owl at Interlocken

This fellow scopes you out as you walk up to your tee shot on hole 4. At night, he (?) and his (?) partner hoot all around the park. Several trees east of his nest is where he (?) disgorges his fur and bone pellets.

Attachments

• IMG_0575.jpg
    IMG_0575.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 130
This fellow scopes you out as you walk up to your tee shot on hole 4. At night, he (?) and his (?) partner hoot all around the park. Several trees east of his nest is where he (?) disgorges his fur and bone pellets.
That look seems to be saying, "Nose that thing up and threaten my nest and I'll dive bomb yo @$$!"
Now, if we can just train them to retrieve discs......
Otters are pretty smart critters!
:hfive:

A hawk swooped down and followed my disc for a few seconds. I wonder if he we trying to determine if the disc was edible, and if he would attack it. When the disc started to fade, he lost interest. Lucky, too. It was a good drive for a birdie. :)
There are often hawks and other similar birds of prey circling around the park where we practice throwing and several times I was sure that they were eyeing our dog so I didn't let pup chase any discs until the coast was clear.

That horned owl picture is too cool!

Guthrie is absolutely infested with turtles in the main creek, and said creek is also home to a large beaver. We see barred owls every now and then and once in a great while we'll see the great horned owl flying around. Awesome seeing something that large swoop through the air absolutely silent.

At Pecan park I had to step in a small stream to retrieve a poorly thrown drive, and after i stepped in the creek , something by my right foot got my attention. I look down and see the return gaze of a 4 foot long copperhead. We stared at each other for a minute, then he slowly slithered into the water like he owned the place. I promptly went home and changed my shorts.

Latest posts