• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

A completely black squirrel (bad picks).

fullsizeoutput-787.jpg

fullsizeoutput-788.jpg

I posted a pic of a black squirrel years and years ago and someone made fun of me since they were so common in their area. DGCR is so much kinder and gentler these days. :)

They're not uncommon around this are. Pretty sure it's just a genetic melanistic variation (similar to black leopards/jaguars), rather than a specific species. I think they're pretty cool.

I remember seeing quite a few white squirrels when I played Gordon Holton near C'bus back in 2011. I haven't white squirrels any where else in my travels.

Last edited:
I posted a pic of a black squirrel years and years ago and someone made fun of me since they were so common in their area. DGCR is so much kinder and gentler these days. :)

Yeah, nobody has called me Homer yet, but let's give it a minute. After all, the thread isn't "uncommon critters".

It's really weird. I see black squirrels to the north and the south, but have never seen one in my area. I've got to drive an hour in either direction to see them.

Same here. I think we're more or less same latitude, right? Weird.

Carrollton DG Course near St. Louis has quite a few groundhog (woodchuck) living on the course. They're interesting, but can be semi-aggressive (mostly just bluffing) if you get to close to their den entrance.

The worst/most dangerous I've come across are the ground-nesting Yellow Jackets less than 20ft from #6 basket at The Fort DG Course in O'Fallon, MO, though. Those bastards got me 4x, and I was quick to react. It's gonna be bad news if they swarm someone that's allergic. I tried to report it to the ground maintenance crew, but they were nowhere to be found. I did report it to a cop driving through the park (who said he's pass it along), but nothing had been done when I checked a few days later.

Carrollton DG Course near St. Louis has quite a few groundhog (woodchuck) living on the course. They're interesting, but can be semi-aggressive (mostly just bluffing) if you get to close to their den entrance.

The worst/most dangerous I've come across are the ground-nesting Yellow Jackets less than 20ft from #6 basket at The Fort DG Course in O'Fallon, MO, though. Those bastards got me 4x, and I was quick to react. It's gonna be bad news if they swarm someone that's allergic. I tried to report it to the ground maintenance crew, but they were nowhere to be found. I did report it to a cop driving through the park (who said he's pass it along), but nothing had been done when I checked a few days later.

Step up. All it takes is someone to take the initiative. Stop by a store and pick up a couple cans of long range, spray bee death and bring the pain. Being "THEY" is the best!! :thmbup::thmbup:

Show 'em whose boss, Mickster!

Last edited:
Step up. All it takes is someone to take the initiative. Stop by a store and pick up a couple cans of long range, spray bee death and bring the pain. Being "THEY" is the best!! :thmbup::thmbup:

Show 'em whose boss, Mickster!

Several times over the years I've had success getting rid of ground hornets by throwing some old fruit on the nest. The local skunk finds the fruit and discovers a tasty (to a skunk) hornets nest to dig out. Hasn't always worked but cool when it does.

Came across these critters the past few months:

Photo left: This spotted turtle was crossing the 6th fairway at the Newport News, Virginia Course.

Center: Sand Fidler 3rd tee pad Bennets Creek Suffolk, Virginia. I saw what must have been dozens. They crack me up always in the defense position ready to fight.

Right: This bat was still quivering in front of the short basket #16 Bayville Virginia Beach, Virginia. I took the photo on my second round, and the bat was not there my 1st round. It's back burnt from flying into the power line.

I just about always see eagles flying at Munden Point course but can never get a good photo. There was one on the rocks between the river and fairway feasting on a fish, but as I was creeping up it flew away with the fish.

Attachments

• c1.jpg
    c1.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 62
  • c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 67
  • c3.jpg
    c3.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 68

Latest posts