• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG DVD Rant

I suffer definitely from lack of funding so the audio is so so in my camera. I'm not so great narrating and i'm doing it in a more restricted way to Crump because i have limited recording time so the vids are short and there's less time to speak. That limits the commentary in a serious manner at times. That drops the informativeness and quality of the narration obviously. The trouble with HD is the huge data amount. If the vids were as long prior to the throws as with the Clash series a single round would need more than one DVD. It would fill a lot of a BluRay disc. Money is an issue to disc golfers in general and so it limits how large videos can be made and in which resolution. The prices aren't that low as it is with DVDs. HD is a different ball game altogether.

I tell ya what...whatever he eats for dinner tonight is gunna taste like prime rib... :p
Seriously though, Crump gets an A for effort. The Oregon golfers (especially natives who've never left the state) either get a serious kick from the commentary or they look confused when we watch the Clash series. I'll also agree that BRP and Renny are my two favorite Clash dvd's. Both of those courses look like pieces of disc golf paradise.

BLURR said:
Well...I like watching disc golf dvd's because of the various sweet courses across the US/World. Disc Golf on a ball golf course is not that much fun to watch in my opinion. What makes BRP and Renny the tops of the clash series is that the course requires all sorts of shots to come out on top as well as being visually appealing. Pine Oaks, like the Red Hawk Clash, is rather boring to watch because it is all about throw a 450 ft + bomb. Then throw an approach, tap in for 3 (There are some exceptions to the rule in that there are a few holes that are par 5's that require a couple of bomb drives). Visually stunning courses help make a dg dvd fun to watch. Not flat, fairly open holes that are on average 600 ft. long.

And I agree with what you are saying Leopard.

I was very disappointed when I heard that they were filming a Clash before the Sunshine State Shootout last year and it was going to be at Pine Oaks instead of the other course used for the tournament, Ocala Greenway. The Greenway is a fantastic course (there are some short holes but also several over 400 feet and the terrain provides a lot of challenge) and while more difficult to film well due to being in the woods I'm sure it would have made a much more enjoyable viewing experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3yYwZEBJ7E&feature=player_embedded

Here's a nice single-camera video that a couple guys did of a round at Greenway. Doesn't quite do the quality of some of the holes justice or convey the shit you can get yourself in with poor drives but it gives you a good look at the course. Unfortunately it only has the regular 18 and not the 6 extra holes which would include this one bitch of a hole that's about 500 feet long starting from 8-10 feet of elevation with a fairly narrow fairway most of the length of it.

So I watched the 2010 USDGC today. The coverage was decent but the commentary needs a lot of work. If we're stuck with Crump he needs to get someone with him to help out on commentary. He does not lend credence to the sport as "play by play" and color commentator. Having someone that played the event do play my play while he does color would be so much better. On that note, why do they feel the need to do the commentary live all the time? How hard is it to add an audio track of commentary during production? That would alleviate the problems with volume level and wind/heavy breathing in the mic. They've done it before. '06 USDGC had an audio track added after the fact. Maybe doing the commentary live gets Billy all fired up and they think his commentary is better that way?

BTW, a big thank you to whoever is uploading the DG torrents to demonoid.

Crump is the absolute worst and immediately warrants use of the mute button. The shit he says, and the constant name dropping, makes him unbearable.

I agree that the commentary would benefit from adding it during editing process. I think that's what they do for discgolfmonthly because there are never problems with the audio. I'm not a fan of Lacourte's commentating, but it could be worse. I actually think Cubby's commentary is pretty damn good and he's got a good voice for play-by-play.

One of the problems is there are very few who are trying to do what Clash is doing. Also when you're investing your time and money and probably not really making a lot for all the effort, you get to do your own commentary. I just bought BRP DVD and watched it last night. I thought the video quality was good and I liked listening to the insight from Timmy Gill. Also being a native from Minnesota made it a bit more interesting.

It would be nice to see or find someone who would be willing to put some money behind top quality video production.

On one of the DVDs, if you pre ordered, they said Barry S. would sign it. When I got it, the fucking bubble mailer was signed. I don't really care about getting a disc golfers autograph, but that's just dumb as shit.

dgdave said:
On one of the DVDs, if you pre ordered, they said Barry S. would sign it. When I got it, the fucking bubble mailer was signed. I don't really care about getting a disc golfers autograph, but that's just dumb as shit.

This made me LOL

dgdave said:

awesome. doing autographs wrong is keeping the sport from going mainstream.

Ryan C said:
Is this different coverage from that which Disc Golf Monthly posted on youtube? I thought their Vibram Open coverage was quite good, actually. My only gripe with it is that Matt LaCourte, or whatever his name is, annoys me.

Wasnt that just the coverage from the Vibram DVD's which they are allowed to use ? I can not imagine two different camera teams both covering Vibram open.

And both commentators have a very... well... elderly view on things. Cubby looks like a recreational player anyway, and Matt looks past his prime. Way past.

Edit : whoops just realised that I answered a post on the first page without reading the second and third page. Noob mistake, sorry -.-

JimW said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3yYwZEBJ7E&feature=player_embedded

Here's a nice single-camera video that a couple guys did of a round at Greenway. Doesn't quite do the quality of some of the holes justice or convey the shit you can get yourself in with poor drives but it gives you a good look at the course. Unfortunately it only has the regular 18 and not the 6 extra holes which would include this one bitch of a hole that's about 500 feet long starting from 8-10 feet of elevation with a fairly narrow fairway most of the length of it.

This is done by one dude alone, he has a bunch more. Check out his uploads for a look at some of the MD courses. :D

Well, I just ordered a bunch o disc golf DVDs, I'll let you know what I think.

2008 USDGC All of these are Lead Card Live. Disc Golf Live put out a 2008 usdgc dvd too, didn't they?
2009 USDGC
2010 USDGC
2010 Worlds

09 USDGC sucks
10 USDGC is actually good sans Crump's idiocy
10 Worlds coverage sucks but its really well done

I haven't seen 08 USDGC

not sure what's up with all the crump hating? a lot of people who aren't from the south are really turned off by a southern accent and think it sounds dumb so I'm sure that accounts for why some of you don't like him. I personally think he's probably the best commentator I've heard do disc golf so far. Crazy John Brooks has a voice of gold, but I haven't heard him doing any play-by-play stuff. The Lead Group Live USDGC DVDs are by far the best. Vibram Open DVDs I think are filmed well but I'm not crazy about Dodge's one liners and commentating style. I prefer the live commentating I guess because that's how it's done in golf...only they do it in a booth so the wind doesn't interfere with the mic :>

I'm from the south and his accent doesn't bother me at all. He is just a bad all around commentator, poor commentary skills, name drops all the time, and he somehow manages to be boring yet try to hard at the same time. He also suffers from the most annoying announcer trait ever, he tries to draw more attention to himself instead of to the action he is commenting on.

I'd still rather listen to Billy than Matt LaCourte.

He says "Looks like he hit a early tree," almost every shot, even if the tree was 80% of the way down the fairway. He says it with this smug kind of tone, like he just knows he would have done way better. At least Cubby and Billy actually sound impressed by the quality of the play. Of course Billy has his phrases that he overuses, but for the most part, I have no idea whats going to come out of his mouth. With Matt, its the same thing EVERY .... SINGLE .... TIME

The DVDs are in and I actually like all of them. 2010 Worlds isn't much different from the previous ones although they've rendered new titles and such for everything. Also, Adam Zucker and Doc Duesler have been replaced with Crazy John on all the commentary and interviews.

the USDGC DVDs give you some options of watching the movie with commentary or without. I'm waching 2010 USDGC again now and there's actually 3 audio tracks. No Commentary, Just Billy and Billy and Will Shusterick.

For the 2009 USDGC the guest commentators are Barry and Kenny which is cool to hear. 2008 features Nate and Avery and is a solid disc also. Thankfully none showed the picture problems 2007 had. I'd like to see them add the Distance Finals and Distance Showcase as extras but other than that, I enjoyed them all.