• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG DVD Rant

Think about what it takes to put together a professional grade film of a tournament...

First, you only get one take. If you screw up a shot, you can't have the competitor throw another one, obviously. So you have to be ready well before any competitor you'd like to film starts to throw, so everything is set and ready to record.

Second, lighting conditions change as the round goes and the sun moves across the sky, and/or clouds shift to and fro. You have to think about each hole you want to film, and from each position on that hole, anticipate the changes in lighting, constantly re-calibrate, etc..

Third, all the above has to jive with finding a good spot to plant the tripod(s). You have to choose the shot, taking into account lighting and other factors. These spots have to allow you to smoothly follow each throw without too much difficulty.

Say you're filming an 18 hole course, and you want to catch action on X consecutive cards. You will then need at least X cameras. But you also need some extra cameras to set up on holes in advance of the first card that plays through. The extra number Y allows the film crew to leap frog so that when the last group to be filmed goes by a hole, then film crew jumps ahead to the hole before the first group gets there. So, X+Y cameras. Say a reasonable number for Y is 3, and you want to follow 8 consecutive cards, that's 11 cameras!

What if there are some holes that you need to film from different positions, in order to capture the tee off, upshot, and putt? This multiplies the number of cameras needed on each hole. And you don't want just one camera per hole if this is the case, since the cameraman will have to run forward and set up the camera in a different location, which will not allow enough time to take care of setting up in the right spot, optimizing the lighting of the shot, etc..

I think you can see the effort required to get up to professional quality coverage. This kind of service would run at around $50K, at least, for a 2 day tournament. And who is going to invest that kind of money and resources into a disc golf DVD?

mainstream has only itself to blame.

(I can grit my teeth & tolerate the uncapitalized initial letter, but cannot abide copying the misplaced modifier.)

jsun3thousand said:
that's not funny.
Nicely ironic, almost a joke. You're getting warmer.

jsun3thousand said:
maybe if you had taken your sitz bath…
Colder.

jsun3thousand said:
…you would have enjoyed my joke more.
Though an aficionado of nothingness may have enjoyed your lack of a joke, it would be impossible to enjoy a joke that doesn't - and never did - exist.

if you wanted a colder sitz bath, you should have requested such. deconstructing disc golf jokes is a horrible way to ask for something.

JHern is a multi group film really mandatory? Have you counted how long one group and two group event footage of a single event is? It takes a fairly hard core fan to watch all that we've released from a single event. Youtube channel lcgm8 has The Scandinavian Open 2010 and The Finnish Open 2010 where we filmed two groups most of the time and the men's final with two cameras or three in the FO. It's loooong. Our latest Youtube release The Stockholm Disc Golf Open 2010 was filmed with just one camera with me being tied to Feldy while being his caddy at the same time. With the natural limitations to the filming it means. For untethered single cam action check out The Dutch Open 2010 for example.

There are ways around the sun issues at times. I did constantly adjust shutter speed and white balance while tracking discs in different axis flying by me while zooming in and out and adjusting the other settings according to lighting changes mid flight. So what?

Who uses a tripod. A person making a film commanding the players. Impractical for following people in a real round. I did that too in the European Open 2009 ladies final.

Who says i can't find the optimum spot? So far i've always familiarized myself with the course i'll be filming and one round is enough for that. Even while competing in dubs at the same time.

I highly disagree with the 50 grand partial budget that would be inflated by other costs you didn't mention. DVD? Err why sell your work short if HD is available? The answer for commercial parties is profit. People aren't used to HD even though technically it is possible for most to view HD material on equipment they already have. Give us time to take our shot at rectifying that. DVD is like black and white TVs compared to what's available now.

Really good job on that JR. I watched the whole thing today and was very impressed. Its inevitable that sometimes discs will get lost in the sky and so forth.

I thought that Nikko, Dave, and Markus were all playing really good golf. Especially Nikko. I was also glad to see Markus take down Dave.

Anyway, fantastic work.

By the way, Markus' drive at about the 20 minute mark on round 3, part one, looked sick. I've never seen that much D look so easy before.

JR, I was talking about the kind of production level that approaches what we see in ball golf. They film all the cards, not just 1 or 2. And they spend way more than $50K on the production for a 2 day tournament. Those cameras have tripods/mounts because they can zoom in on a golf ball at 200 m and have it fill the screen.

And don't sell yourself short...ten JRs on the course are worth at least several K$ each for a couple days' work. Too bad we don't have more JRs running around the disc golf course!!!

hey so I rewatched Cliff Stevens tonight and I had a question. Does Cale like the overstable plastic? It's never mentioned on the video and I am pretty confused if he likes stable or understable plastic or whatever.

edit: I never noticed it before but on 17 after both JohnE and Marcus throw, Climo says "they'll definitely be taking one of those two". I lolled.

JHern said:
JR, I was talking about the kind of production level that approaches what we see in ball golf. They film all the cards, not just 1 or 2. And they spend way more than $50K on the production for a 2 day tournament. Those cameras have tripods/mounts because they can zoom in on a golf ball at 200 m and have it fill the screen.

And don't sell yourself short...ten JRs on the course are worth at least several K$ each for a couple days' work. Too bad we don't have more JRs running around the disc golf course!!!

The ability to zoom in is key to TV quality presentation and we're in luck on most holes because most throws are shorter than 200m and one doesn't need to make the disc fill the screen. Rather it is better to show the fairway and the obstacles to show the level of difficulty the thrower has to navigate with the disc together with the disc. 200m golf ball large on the screen is boring to watch and really needs huge numbers of cameras. I can see the need to cover multiple groups in the Worlds where multiple divisions have important titles to win but usually people "only" need to watch the best players out there. That is MPO. That means in optimal conditions one camera may suffice but two is great to have for insurance against messing up etc. in smaller competitions. That is not nearly as expensive. My skills are not that unique there are other cam holders out there. lcgm8 does good work even with his busted arm. mafa did good work with tripods at Tali Open 2009 and EO 2009. And is ain't just us Finns that can hold a camera up and point it at a disc.

JR said:
Have you counted how long one group and two group event footage of a single event is? It takes a fairly hard core fan to watch all that we've released from a single event. Youtube channel lcgm8 has The Scandinavian Open 2010 and The Finnish Open 2010 where we filmed two groups most of the time and the men's final with two cameras or three in the FO. It's loooong.

Yeah... I've watched them all and pretty much everything on youtube...twice. It's a long winter and I need something to fill the void. Thank you for fueling my addiction JR.

Latest posts