• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG Vocab List - Fun or Catchy Terms

I know a guy who, when his grip is weak and the disc leaves his hand early, says he's in the "early release program."

I also hear a lot of adaptations of the "black ace," such as a "gray ace," which would be acing the wrong basket on the same hole. This would only apply on courses that have two baskets per hole. I've also heard "brown ace," but I forget what that applied to. I hope it has nothing to do with a brown deuce. :|

We call the small stumps (<3" diameter) that typically remain after a new fairway is cleared "bungee stakes" (Vietnam reference) that you can stub your toe on.

'Round here we call 'em "ankle snappers." I have a knack for finding them. :( This also refers to tee boxes that have dropoffs at the end.

I've heard the unintended lucky route through the trees called a "secret squirrel" route. I think there's some local lore that it harkens back to, but I'm not sure what it refers to.

"UFO'd," when you throw your disc from either the tee pad or on a second shot...you see the line it took but can't find it anywhere...."Man, I can't find my disc....it was UFO'd!" --meaning it was beamed up by aliens and never to be seen again.

When this happens I like to say the gnomes got it.

"Plant a tree for Arbor Day," advice given to a player who just got saved by some outrageous, even egregious tree love.

"UFO'd," when you throw your disc from either the tee pad or on a second shot...you see the line it took but can't find it anywhere...."Man, I can't find my disc....it was UFO'd!" --meaning it was beamed up by aliens and never to be seen again.

The ball golfers call this an "Amelia Earhart: looks great on takeoff, then just f-ing disappears."

Crosseyed and Chainless: a made putt that touches no chains.

'Round here we call 'em "ankle snappers." I have a knack for finding them. :( This also refers to tee boxes that have dropoffs at the end.

I've heard the unintended lucky route through the trees called a "secret squirrel" route. I think there's some local lore that it harkens back to, but I'm not sure what it refers to.

We call anything that we trip over a "thingy". Person tripping is usually followed by "Hey, you found the thingy" by a fellow player.

"Smoked"

When a person in a pair or group gets an Ace and the other player looses his/her disc on the same hole. This just happened this weekend, lol.

Treesus - the mythical god whom you must pray to get the best bounces off of trees. thank you Treesus.

I like "go west young man" when someone shanks a big hyzer left
"Premature disculation" when someone lets go of the disc really early
"Park maintenance" for someone that throws really low

BABY COME BACKKKK.

commonly heard playing with a local when he wants a disc to hook up.

I usually say "tilt" when someone hits more than one tree. People here dont get it, its like they never went to an arcade when they were younger.

BABY COME BACKKKK.

commonly heard playing with a local when he wants a disc to hook up.

Yea, that's been said a few times with me and a buddy too.. Most the time when you flip a disc and need it to start fading out.

I have a friend who yells "BLIND HOG" everytime he makes a putt or throws a good drive, from the phrase "even a blind hog finds a acorn once in a while". It's funny because he's old and sorta gruff, but real fun.

Heard someone say "Sober up" once in reference to needing a disc to stop turning over and start fading.

Valet parking: Parking the drive with the assistance of a tree or similar kick.

"I was gonna shank that until the valet parked it for me."

That reminds me, there ought to be a term for when you're on a hole where you can't see the basket from the teepad, and you throw a beautiful shot that goes exactly where you wanted it to go... and when you get up there and find your disc, THEN you discover that the basket's actually in the other placement.

This is called a "broken GPS"

I dunno if this was said but around my local course (completely wooded) we have Invisible Trees - when you're letting go of a anny/hyzer and it goes around the tunnel and looks perfect, and just as it passes that one tree right on the corner and disappears it hits a tiny invisible tree right behind it, and then you hear a loud THUNK and it drops an rolls into sight.

Get skinny: telling a disc to make it through some thick trees.
Maddona hole: very tight fairway, in reference to like a virgin.
My favorite I heard this weekend though. A guy throws a 30 ft putt about 20 ft short and says, "felt the draft up my skirt on that one". He was older and pretty quiet the whole time except for that gem and it took me completly by surprise. I was still laughing and shanked my drive on the next hole. This might be one of my favorite threads.