• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG Vocab List - Fun or Catchy Terms

When my friends and I ask each other if we want to play we ask if "y'all wanna jerk some hawgs" instead of "hey let's play some disc golf."

Barrel Roll & clarifications

We use the name "Grog" to describe throws that are more power than finesse.
Think of a cave man and grunt "Grog just throws disc and eat" or "Grog doesn't know how to putt.. just drive".

Its common enough in our friends that we're giving a way a plush T-Rex at a bachelor party this weekend as the "Grog Award".

Hilarious! Some of those can be pretty crude though (i.e. Cheerleader). IDEA: This thread should be condensed for easiest use, one pinned topic updated often with: (Term & a.k.a.'s - meaning/story - attributer).

Apartied - when everyone in the group gets a par on the hole.
A Nelson Mandela - same as apartied

I take it y'all mean "apartheid", which means racial segregation? Yes, I get it, A - Par - Tied....

One I haven't seen in the thread but is probably typically used:
Barrel Roll: When your thumber or tomahawk turns over in flight, resembling a jet plane barrel roll.

Closest variation is
Another term we use on heavily wooded courses with many small-ish trees, when someone throws an overhand/tomahawk throw and the disc magically weaves between many small trees as it turns over, without hitting any: the "Millenium Falcon", just like when said spaceship is flying through the asteroid field in "The Empire Strikes Back".

"merked", when you get hit in the head from someones throw off of the tee

Poor guy.... I take it after this, you have to consult the Merck Manual to diagnose what's wrong?!!! ROFLOL.

Last edited:
Pro style- normally said with sarcasm when a friend throws a big hyzer- as in the idea pros can throw hyzers over mountains. And skinny white boy style- throwing fh super low (by your feet low) from the tee.

a few local terms;
Lukeing it - when you hit the basket then your putter rolls all the way back down the hill (named for some poor kid that did this a bunch of times during league)
the IRON CURTAIN - when your putter hits the metal ring on the top of the basket

We use "posi-wood" (short for positive wood) alot when you get a favorable bounce or hit off a tree. Like an errant drive that hits a tree and the disc ends up in the fairway. That's called posi-wood.

"Who's got the pad?" When asking who's got honors for teeing it up first on the hole. Or "I got the pad" meaning I'm up first.

Everyone know's that three birdies in a row is called a Turkey or as we say a "gobble gobble". Our course has a large population of Turkey Vultures, so we decided that three bogeys in a row is called a Turkey Vulture.

Luking when i was up in Minnesota. Luke, a friend of mine was known for hitting the basket on a certain hole and rolling all the way down the hill, putting again and rolling all the way down. We coined the term after he got a 7 on the hole after landing next to the basket on his first shot (rolled 4 times down the hill)

I later ran into people that never even knew who luke was using the term when someone had a bad roll

We've always called the Seeing Eye Disc a "Matrix." As in, "Dude, you just Matrixed your way through 10 trees."

"In like a 17 year old with a fake ID" is when you barely make a putt.

"Nice Betty Ford" is for a nice recovery from a ****ty lie

"Indy Jones" is when you throw into the thick shule.

Horses come in a herd.

Sheep by the flock.

What do you folks call a group of disc golfers?

A cough, of course. You can usually hear them several holes away. Made that one up myself.

And a throw that hits a tree and falls straight down, dead? That would be a Sonny Bono.

Apologies to Cher or anyone else who finds that tasteless.

"Punishment roll" What we call the result of a missed putt from long distance or a hill that rolls even longer out of makeable range.

Horses come in a herd.

Sheep by the flock.

What do you folks call a group of disc golfers?

A cough, of course. You can usually hear them several holes away. Made that one up myself.

And a throw that hits a tree and falls straight down, dead? That would be a Sonny Bono.

Apologies to Cher or anyone else who finds that tasteless.
now that's funny.