• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGCR iPhone/iPod App - What would you pay?

What's the most you would pay for an app w/ DGCR course search / scoring integration?

• $2.99

Votes: 27 25.7%
  • $3.99

Votes: 14 13.3%
  • $4.99

Votes: 29 27.6%
  • $5.99

Votes: 13 12.4%
  • $6.99

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • $7.99

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • $8.99

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $9.99

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 12 11.4%

• Total voters
If it was able to act like a skycaddie more people would dive in but that would be a HUGE investment trying to get that done. I think the sport would have to grow a lot more to really make it worth your while.

^^ AGREE !! ^^ I don't have a smart phone and can still get directions from the site and post on threads. Most high end smart phones can access the site directly.

Plus, I still love using a score CARD.

I am way too poor/low-tech to give Steve Jobbs any money.

the interface for the iPhone "DiscGolf" app is damn good (doesn't have to be so cartoony), I'd use that as a model for the scorecard bit of the app.

The number of free apps. out there is amazing. I haven't bought an app. yet, just because I haven't really had the need. I spend a decent amount of time on the web finding new courses and getting course maps. If there was an app to use the GPS positioning of the phone to navigate to the course and use on the course to help navigate from one hole to the next, I would be willing to spend some money on that. If the quality were there and I could try out some sort of demo or limited version to make sure that the quality was there, I would easily spend $5.00 on that app.

Like others have said, what exactly could you offer an iPhone user other than a better interface with which to interact with the website?

I can post on the forums, enter my scores and browse for a course and map a route to it from where I currently am to the course using my maps application. The only thing I'm aware of that I can do from my desktop and not my phone is upload photos, but I might be able to do that through a 3rd party iphone browser since mine is jailbroke.

If you could think of features to put into it that would offer some kind of improvement over what we can already do with Safari, I could see some sales. If I could upload photos and save my scorebook for offline viewing (Which is a premium feature already as I understand it), and have a more intuitive interface for interacting with the site and forum, I'd consider buying it. For something like that 5$ sounds fair to me.

My friend uses a scorecard app on the iPhone already, but if you were to make one that integrated the website (ie uploading scores to the site) I would pay top app dollar for it.

The only reason I don't use the scorecard feature here is because all of my scores are saved up on his app, so I really don't have access to them. It would be sweet if they automatically uploaded somewhere!

You also might want to consider a Blackberry app,

which I'm betting someone will do for you on the Crackberry.com forums, for a much smaller fee than a "professional" source.

just my $0.02

Like others have said, what exactly could you offer an iPhone user other than a better interface with which to interact with the website?

I can post on the forums, enter my scores and browse for a course and map a route to it from where I currently am to the course using my maps application. The only thing I'm aware of that I can do from my desktop and not my phone is upload photos, but I might be able to do that through a 3rd party iphone browser since mine is jailbroke.

If you could think of features to put into it that would offer some kind of improvement over what we can already do with Safari, I could see some sales. If I could upload photos and save my scorebook for offline viewing (Which is a premium feature already as I understand it), and have a more intuitive interface for interacting with the site and forum, I'd consider buying it. For something like that 5$ sounds fair to me.

jailbreaking is sweet. do you have a custom theme with discs for icons like me? ;)

An Android app would be better, at least for me. In the long term, I can't imagine Google's Android OS not overtaking the iPhone/iPod. It's smaller right now, but everybody knows that Google shall prevail.

I would gladly pay $5 for a DGCR Android app. It would be awesome if it offered a scorecard that could be easily used out on the course.

Yeah i use a scorecard app now but it would be nice to get all the course info automatically instead of inputting it all myself. Esp cause then people can just upload their scores on here automatically. I would be able to keep track of all my scores better than right now.

From the sounds of things so far, I'm kind of glad I haven't invested any money in the iPhone app idea. It seems I'd be more in the hole than usual with DGCR related expenses :)

As a compromise, you could add these new features to the premium membership. Add user agent detection and format the screens so they look good on a typical Android (800 x 480) screen. The newest iPhones are even higher resolution (960 x 640) so if you target Android screens, you'll look good on iPhone too.

Right now, DGCR isn't all that usable on phones, requiring lots of side-to-side scrolling and pinch-to-zoom. So putting in the effort to format the new stuff for mobile should get you more premium members. And there would be no developer to pay -- you get to write all that yourself. :)

Granted, this won't work if you're playing in the Kalahari Desert and there are no cell towers in range. But with HTML 5 providing a local storage option, you could consider a DGCR "offline" mode that would save scores in the browser and upload when you do have connectivity again. Not sure which browsers support that yet, but it's coming.

As a compromise, you could add these new features to the premium membership. Add user agent detection and format the screens so they look good on a typical Android (800 x 480) screen. The newest iPhones are even higher resolution (960 x 640) so if you target Android screens, you'll look good on iPhone too.

Right now, DGCR isn't all that usable on phones, requiring lots of side-to-side scrolling and pinch-to-zoom. So putting in the effort to format the new stuff for mobile should get you more premium members. And there would be no developer to pay -- you get to write all that yourself. :)

Granted, this won't work if you're playing in the Kalahari Desert and there are no cell towers in range. But with HTML 5 providing a local storage option, you could consider a DGCR "offline" mode that would save scores in the browser and upload when you do have connectivity again. Not sure which browsers support that yet, but it's coming.

Agreed, I'd rather have access to a mobile version of the site instead of an actual installed app.

However, if you do decide to go the app route, there's no reason it wouldn't be THE coolest DG app out there.

Now this sounds like a much better idea. This I would upgrade to Premium for!!

Timg, I voted 9.99 are you allergic to profits? (bumper stickers).

I don't know how effective it would be, due to the fact that i can already open up the browser on my Droid, browse the site effectively and input my scores on the scorecard. I don't see it really as a good investment for you to shell out money unless the consumer could buy the app for less than a dollar or two, since its already more than convenient enough for me to just pull it up on my browser.

I too am an android guy. Judging from the responses would there be a way that you could go in with a score card app and get it to auto post onto the site. That may be much cheaper and easily accessed from any type of phone, ie. android, iphone, or blackberry. That being said if there was an android app i'd pay 5 dollars.

Latest posts