• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Pro Tour

is that any less fair than the guy who shoots the third best score not getting in? either do winner gets in or do best 4 scores. with "winner gets in" announced long beforehand the players know the deal- win or go home.

It's a good middle ground I'd say. There's the chance to win your card and get in, and also the possibility of you're the best non-card winner of qualifying.

I think if there's a possibility of no one on a card getting through, it could lower the excitement on that card half way through the round if they are aware of the scores... Even if they aren't, it lowers the excitement of the audience if a card becomes "irrelevant".

This way all cards matter, and looking for who's the "best" card runner up is exciting too, for the audience.

Allowing the best of the remaining scores to get the fifth spot is similar to how track meets advance players to the next round where the heat winners and 1 or more of the next best times advance.

If you really want to make the semis pressure packed, I'm thinking you have each player in a group play the other three in a round robin of 6-hole matches during the 18-hole round. For the first 6 holes, A plays B and C plays D in match play. Then, next 6 holes, A plays C and B plays D, final 6 holes, A plays D and B plays C. Best match record in each group advances. If there's a tie in a group, you go to "holes won" tiebreaker, and then sudden death if needed, which will also be needed with the current DGPT if there are score ties. In fact all four in a group could tie on score.

Allowing the best of the remaining scores to get the fifth spot is similar to how track meets advance players to the next round where the heat winners and 1 or more of the next best times advance.

If you really want to make the semis pressure packed, I'm thinking you have each player in a group play the other three in a round robin of 6-hole matches during the 18-hole round. For the first 6 holes, A plays B and C plays D in match play. Then, next 6 holes, A plays C and B plays D, final 6 holes, A plays D and B plays C. Best match record in each group advances. If there's a tie in a group, you go to "holes won" tiebreaker, and then sudden death if needed, which will also be needed with the current DGPT if there are score ties. In fact all four in a group could tie on score.

There's an interesting set up. If the format was all predetermined before hand it could work. Not all holes are created equal, and obviously some players have advantages on certain sections of diverse courses. But that could add to the drama.

Also could be very confusing to a dumb audience. :)

Simple is good, which is why I would tend to like Biscoe's proposal of win or go home. This way each card matters and it makes if fun and easy for spectators. Thanks to all major US sports leagues using wildcards (best record not winning the division), we are able to also incorporate a wildcard so that is one more fun thing to watch while keeping it understandable.

As each group finishes in the Semis, the plan is to have the current player in the wild card spot in the interview room, maybe with a camera on them doing a PIP as the other cards come in. Not only will people be watching the cards coming in as they jockey for the win, they will also be watching to see if the current wildcard player will be bumped or not. Much to watch!

Please WATCH!! :)

Just voted for card 3! Also I expect the Wildcard to come off this card.

As each group finishes in the Semis, the plan is to have the current player in the wild card spot in the interview room, maybe with a camera on them doing a PIP as the other cards come in. Not only will people be watching the cards coming in as they jockey for the win, they will also be watching to see if the current wildcard player will be bumped or not. Much to watch!

Please WATCH!! :)

Reminds me of winter sports where the current leader (skier, bobsled team, etc) gets to stand around in the spotlight, waiting to be unseated as each subsequent participant takes a turn and posts a time.

Reminds me of winter sports where the current leader (skier, bobsled team, etc) gets to stand around in the spotlight, waiting to be unseated as each subsequent participant takes a turn and posts a time.

Seems like this is all designed to be enjoyable for the audience to watch!

646889_orig.png

Voting just finished for our 2015 Dream Finals. Thanks to the 1,000+ people that took the time to vote. It was fun to watch.

http://www.discgolfprotour.com/news

Minnesota's own and now the title:

"Fan Favorite"

Nice job Cale!

We will be releasing our updated rankings and methodology on 2/23. Stay tuned.

1842318_orig.jpg

We will update the Pro Tour Power Rankings every Tuesday. We are proud of the fact that we are the first ranking system that does not put an arbitrary weight on events because of their tier or location. Straight up wins and losses against Quality Players at Qualified Events. That's it.

Let us know your thoughts!

Latest posts