• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Valley

My Kaho 2 roller play is to not touch the default aim and pull the disc "back" almost to nine o'clock and let her fly, er, roll

Glide/Roll B-Pro for now - it will interesting to see if the G/R Rive is as effective. I use this disc for many/most/nearly all of the shots Woj described
Yeah, it is a good point that the disc I'm describing is that G/R Rive. I actually was using an aim point in the clouds for the G/R B-Pro. Something like the middle of the first dip in the right side of the top of the cloud, and then pull to 11 o'clock.

It was a dumb shot to groove though, because when the game was "foggy" I couldn't see it. So it wasn't as precise in all weather conditions.

I came SOOOOO close to the Simon Vlogmas + Thursday Night Throwdowns double! No tiebreaker for the Simon stream, so I got t1.... but lost a playoff on TNT to Tyler. :( Chokemas.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 11.40.47 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 11.40.47 AM.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 11.41.51 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 11.41.51 AM.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 28
Now that I've had the Glide/Roll Rive for a few days and have adjusted my lines from the old G/R B-Pro (a disc I LOVED, btw) I can say without reservation that the Rive version is MUCH preferred

I used my G/R B-Pro for most of the shots Woj does below. Bolded text will describe the difference with the Rive

Roller Shots: (actual rollers)
Oak Hill 4 (though throwing righty I can only get the FH there in favorable winds, you can do it more often) Primarily use the Grail skipper here, haven't dialed in the roller Rive yet - I imagine that will be great once I do)
Kaho 2 (60/40 success rate, sometimes it gets ugly - but in competition I usually get the 2 or the 4 out of it) Using the same default line and 9 o'clock pullback in any wind, I think I have a slightly higher success rate with the Rive
Kaho 4 (approach shot, if you hit the wall with some cut angle it reliably bounces over and in-bounds - so you don't need to worry about skipping deep OB) Rive is better for this shot
Kaho 7 (the angle just works well, a must eagle against top players) I go T/S or G/S off the tee and only sometimes use the G/R on the approach shot. Too small of a sample size but, like everywhere else (except where noted) the Rive is a noticeably better than the B-Pro for approaches
Downtown 6 (big high roller to clear the early road, gets you often to where a fairway can get to the basket for the eagle) Better at clearing the early sidewalk and more often carries (rolls?) past the end of the fence - definite upgrade here
Pioneer 8 (roller 2nd shot is often the play, though it really depends where you land off the tee, this may not apply to lefty) Don't use a roller here

Roll Disc Air Shots: (using roll discs to prevent skip)
Lakeside 9 (middle island, lands it 75% of the time, and when it doesn't it is an easy bird) Great improvement over the B-Pro here - stretches the distance window for the roll disc (as opposed to trying to land the L/G)
Harrowing 5 (clear the water safely, without skipping deep) Rare hole where the B-Pro was better - Rive now works as a FH on this hole but the BH B-Pro shot was better
Coyote 3 (for the safe shot, guarantees nothing fishy happens off the tee playing for a lot of distance down the right side to set up a fairway throw in attempt) Don't use on this hole - I use a shorter Roll disc for this lay-up
Backwoods 1 (for me the best line is an air shot all the way to the pin, this keeps it from skipping OB) MUCH better than the B-Pro here
Backwoods 6 (the safest shot is to crash the wall deep, the roll disc always rolls down off the back wall so you don't stick OB) Rive a little better here
Frozen 1 (another hole where it is easiest to land at the pin, it eliminates the skip away) MUCH better than the B-Pro here
Frozen 2 (great disc to risk it with, way less likely to skip OB left off the island) I lay up short on this hole
Frozen 7 (thrown up over the top, it doesn't skip into the trees left) Better than the B-Pro here, I also use it on FV8
Frozen 9 (doesn't get that long skip OB off a shot that hangs in the air around the mando) Better than the B-Pro here
Downtown 7 (if its run it or nothing - the roller disc is your best bet to stick) Worse than the B-Pro here - too long- I use a shorter roll disc for this shot now
Downtown 9 (I power down and throw the roller disc to land near pin and stick, avoid OB) MUCH better than the B-Pro here
Island 1 (land near pin, doesn't skip OB) MUCH better than the B-Pro here
Island 2 (land near pin, doesn't skip OB) MUCH better than the B-Pro here
Pioneer 2 (approach shot, forehand slightly powered down, avoids skipping up over the crest)
Pioneer 3 (righty forehand to the right side, doesn't skip OB)
Pioneer 4 (only with favorable winds, to avoid OB skip - unfavorable wind I use normal or skip)
Pioneer 7 (out over left side, lands and gets knocked around a lil by the rocks to slow down and settles nice)
I haven't played Pioneer enough - as everywhere else for me, the Rive is better on nearly all shots where I used to use the B-Pro

I should add that I also use rollers off the tee on OW 8 (every time) and WF 3 (almost every time). The Rive version is at least as good as the B-Pro was and will be better once I fine-tune the line

Last edited:
Looks like no prizes this year. the US code for males to join on the events tab is USQUALIM
and must be done between January 17-23rd. US female code is USQUALIF

This year? Was this done before?

BTW i think the format is super crap. But we'll see what happens.

This year? Was this done before?

BTW i think the format is super crap. But we'll see what happens.

Not that I'm aware of, but I imagine if successful they may start doing prizes in the future.
The honor system that the tourney is based on could cause some complications. It looks like they won't be verifying country or gender until later rounds which could lead to multiple disqualifications. For example, what if I entered as a female from Bosnia, won the right to represent the country, only then to be discovered to be lying? They'd have to scramble to fill my spot on the team and chances are they wouldn't be able to get it done in time.
Oh well, not my problem.

When playing the pro tour....how is it that when I play a round I have to wait a full day or two before I can play a second round, when the leader board shows some players have completed all four rounds? Is there a secret handshake I don't know about?

When playing the pro tour....how is it that when I play a round I have to wait a full day or two before I can play a second round, when the leader board shows some players have completed all four rounds? Is there a secret handshake I don't know about?
There's a bug that keeps scores from the prior pro tour propagating into the leaderboards. Dunno what's keeping them from fixing it, but its been around for a while and is annoying. You really can't tell who the real leaders are until 4 rounds are available.

You should be able to start a new Pro Tour every 5 days, with 1 round becoming available per day for 4 days and one day without a new round before the new tour starts.

In other news - if anyone hasn't played in quite a while, I recommend checking it out! All of the early courses are getting facelifts. The new Harrowing Woods is probably my favorite atmosphere in the game now, and Windswept Fields with the new farms and windmills is really cool as well. The team Per has put together is really doing a nice job consistently improving the looks of the game right now. Though I've been waiting for quite some time for the rumored inclusion of Europe's BEAST course to the game... anxious to see a new layout introduced!

In other news - if anyone hasn't played in quite a while, I recommend checking it out! All of the early courses are getting facelifts. The new Harrowing Woods is probably my favorite atmosphere in the game now, and Windswept Fields with the new farms and windmills is really cool as well. The team Per has put together is really doing a nice job consistently improving the looks of the game right now. Though I've been waiting for quite some time for the rumored inclusion of Europe's BEAST course to the game... anxious to see a new layout introduced!

I looked for it, couldn't find it - but there used to be a really good disc golf game that had a pretty good replica of the BEAST course.

I looked for it, couldn't find it - but there used to be a really good disc golf game that had a pretty good replica of the BEAST course.
Yep, that was 'disc golf game'. I played that a lot before DGV came out. Was top 10 on a couple of the courses for a while. Not sure if that is still a thing or not, but the games really are not even close.

I'm bummed about the lack of practice mode in the current version (v1.189 is what I have). I was trying to play without signal, recently, and I guess that's no longer a possibility. Come on, DGV! It wants my Google login even though I'm offline. Lame sauce.

I'm bummed about the lack of practice mode in the current version (v1.189 is what I have). I was trying to play without signal, recently, and I guess that's no longer a possibility. Come on, DGV! It wants my Google login even though I'm offline. Lame sauce.
Do you mean practice mode isn't showing up as an option when you're not logged in?

I'd make a post about it on Reddit thats where the devs spend most of their time. Greg Guthrie on FB is probably your best bet to contact them via the internal beta testers.

I'd be willing to bet that it is an oversight. They're not a huge team, and they just redesigned the interface completely so it wouldn't shock me if a button got missed in the planning of the upgrade. I could be wrong though, they may not want people practicing offline for some weird reason?