• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you retire your disc after an ACE?

Do you retire your disc after you hit an ACE with it?

• Yes, I retire my discs after I hit an ACE with them.

Votes: 47 22.4%
  • No way! If the disc is that good, I keep throwing it!

Votes: 163 77.6%

• Total voters
Nope, I just record the information on the back of the disc. Then I use that information for bragging purposes. Except for my last ACE, an epic 65 ft. ( sixty-five feet ) bomb on # 7 at Fewell Park in South Carolina. I mostly get ragged on for even bringing it up! Did I mention that it was a 65 ft. hole.........downhill too..........................jing!

The local 14 year olds I talked to there all had 4-8 career aces playing there.

I've gotta play that! lol:clap:

They definitely hang. As Roc1time stated earlier... they make for good wallpaper. And for good conversation when your disc golf buddies come over.

2010-04-25083843.jpg
[/IMG]
From L-R: Eagle, Teebird, Rhyno, Beast, Beast, XD, Roadrunner, Roc, Aviar, Wraith, Aviar, Aviar, Aviar, Leopard, Aviar.

DSCJNKY

iv only got one ace but i still use the disc all the time it is my main rhfh disc but i am carful of the hole i throw it on because i dont want to lose it i think i would retire it once it is to beat in

I kept using my Ace Disc, except on risky holes, until I was able to buy another leopard to replace it. Now it's displayed on my Shelf.

When I get one, I'll keep using it until it wears out, just not in risky situations.

The only discs I hang on the wall now are ones I have gotten at tournaments. Thats it. Everything else needs to be thrown. I don't have an ace yet, but if I do, it will keep flying.

I looked at it this way.Why keep a good disc on the wall that you have to dust? Instead, let that thing fly and blow the dust off of it.

I got my first ace on Feb 15th 2017 with a disc I bought used at a disc store 20 minutes earlier.
After almost losing it last week I've decided to retire it and it's hanging in my man cave in the basement.
I just got a replacement used one at the same store today, we will see how it goes.
Axiom Insanity btw.

Last edited:
Congrats!
Eventually, you'll have an ace disc (or several) that you keep in the bag because you really know how they fly. You may be a little extra cautious on the decision to throw them on disc-eating holes, though! ;)
...said a voice of experience who has lost a couple of ace discs in water. I've still got a Buzzz in the bag that's hit four times. He's not going anywhere near irretrievable water or 'jungle' rough!

Never passed the two time ace disc.

But I do throw my regular bag also in winter. I try to use "water discs" for courses such as hidden lake, and say brp, but I know how my bag regularly flies and usually chose those. No disc is safe.

I also don't foster attachments to inanimate objects.

Took me 12 years to get my first ace, but I continued to throw that disc until it got too beat. I had it on a wall for awhile, but then it just ended up in a box of other discs I don't throw any more.

Now I just write the date, hole#, and course on the back and throw it some more. I don't really want any witnesses signing the back, either. Not that I get that many, I get about one per year now.

I have two aces, and both of those discs are no longer in my bag.

Not because I wouldn't want them there though.

The first one was a carbon Cell(Tiger Yao) that Yikun made exclusively for Salient, they have a fairly short cycle time since the plastic is a lot like BT Soft. So I love the discs but throw a different mold now because you simply cannot get those hardly anymore and the 4 month cycle with an OOP disc is hard.

The other is a VIP Stag. And I have 3 Stags in my bag, but my Ace one is a very faint orange, mostly clear in fact, with a green stamp. While my others are bright pink or chartruce. So it's more like I don't want to lose a disc when I have easier to find ones around.

So I don't keep wall hanger... just happen to not throw them often. I do keep the Pink Stag in the bag that has hit metal 7 times though! Call it the MagStag.

I won't retire them. I put no ink on my discs nowadays, not even pdga # or phone, whatever.

The disc knows it's awesome. I know it's awesome. We have an understanding.

I've got two discs with a pair of aces each, so I'm not a big believer in retiring ace discs. If any of them hit a hat trick of aces, I might think about it though.

One other step I take is carrying a second, similar or identical disc to my ace discs I want to keep using. For instance, I keep two Envys in the bag, even though I really only need one driving putter. My 2x ace Envy gets all the safe throws, and my newer Plasma Envy gets anything near water, tall grass, or just when I need that extra bit of beef. If I play with a small bag, the ace discs stay home. To me this seems like the best of both worlds. I get to keep using proven, well broken in discs without a significant chance of loss.

I've got two discs with a pair of aces each, so I'm not a big believer in retiring ace discs. If any of them hit a hat trick of aces, I might think about it though.

One other step I take is carrying a second, similar or identical disc to my ace discs I want to keep using. For instance, I keep two Envys in the bag, even though I really only need one driving putter. My 2x ace Envy gets all the safe throws, and my newer Plasma Envy gets anything near water, tall grass, or just when I need that extra bit of beef. If I play with a small bag, the ace discs stay home. To me this seems like the best of both worlds. I get to keep using proven, well broken in discs without a significant chance of loss.

This is pretty much what I did with my first (only) ace disc for awhile. Eventually I stopped carrying the ace disc altogether though, and then phased out that mold from my bag. I decided to go ahead and make the ace disc a wall hanger since I don't really throw the mold anymore and I had a couple of other discs my friend dyed for my wife and I that I hung along side it. Otherwise, I don't really do wall hangers.

If and when I get an ace, that disc will get marked with the date, and hopefully signed by a witness or two. And I'll keep throwing it (but never near water) until it's useless .

I have all mine still, a couple still get used a bit. as I progress aces seem less important and a couple of the discs will likely get thrown again in my bag rotation. some I will never throw again like the TL+

I am more protective of it, definitely, and may semi-retire it, but never completely take it out of the rotation. The only discs I have permanently pulled out of the rotation are from them being too worn and or no longer work with my current level of skill and throwing style.

I do have multiple discs with multiple aces on them, but that only means that they must be far and away better than anything I had purchased to "replace" them.

While I do bring them out from time to time, if there is any realistic chance of losing them, they are better off sitting at home as I risk a sentimentally and financially less expensive disc that is slightly less trustworthy than the ace disc. I have about three discs that I would do anything to retrieve and would literally break down with the most creative string of swear words before ultimately crying.

Saved the first one, the other eight (over 9 aces) I have kept on throwing (or losing).

Latest posts