• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you tap-in during casual rounds?

I missed a 12 foot putt in a tournament last year. Putted too fast, it went a little high, hit the nub and bounced back out. That one hurt. I've seen misses like that out of a lot of players though. For myself, I don't consider anything a gimmie unless I can reach out and place it in the basket. Also: I like hearing chains. :) However, if I'm playing casually I couldn't care less what other people do with their discs or even what they say their scores are. I don't play with anyone who would lord it over me if they beat me, and I don't put money on casual rounds. In any sort of league or tournament, I expect everyone on my card to make their putts correctly though, and I don't mind being the jerk and speaking up in that situation. If there is money/prizes/etc. on the line, then please play the game by the rules.

I make the disc touch the inside of the basket, no matter what. The hole doesnt feel complete if the disc doesnt touch the inside of the basket.

Same, this is kinda brilliant and not sure why it would not have occurred to me to do the same.

I actually really really like this idea...might have to adopt it.

It's about time the internet understood my brilliance:D.

Like someone else said, it helps keep you in the "putting zone" when you have back to back holes with tap ins.

I wonder if there is any correlation between years/rounds played and the need to put the disc in the basket no matter what. I've played thousands of rounds and have made maybe tens of thousands of putts. Grabbing a 10 footer without touching the basket is not going to affect my tournament mentality in any way. Now, if you're a relatively new player or have only been playing a few years, I can understand the need to "practice like it's a tourney".

I'd be an exhibit in support of that theory, but somehow I doubt it'll hold.

As these posts demonstrate, people have a variety of motivations that lead them to putt out everything, or not. I'm a little wary of the self-righteousness of those who are bothered when others don't---other than in competition---but other than that, they have valid points for them.

For myself, among my thoughts in just picking up gimme putts, is the fact that part of the charm of disc golf is the challenge in executing a good shot. If it's a virtually-automatic shot, there no challenge, and thus no fun. More importantly, it doesn't bother me to leave a hole incomplete, and I have no trouble switching to tournament mode when in tournaments.

I'd be an exhibit in support of that theory, but somehow I doubt it'll hold.

As these posts demonstrate, people have a variety of motivations that lead them to putt out everything, or not. I'm a little wary of the self-righteousness of those who are bothered when others don't---other than in competition---but other than that, they have valid points for them.

For myself, among my thoughts in just picking up gimme putts, is the fact that part of the charm of disc golf is the challenge in executing a good shot. If it's a virtually-automatic shot, there no challenge, and thus no fun. More importantly, it doesn't bother me to leave a hole incomplete, and I have no trouble switching to tournament mode when in tournaments.

Well said. Agree completely.

I always finish the hole, like it was previously stated it helps keep my head in the putt.

I fastball the putter into the chains in a fit of rage and anger from how my round is usually going.

For me it depends on how much time I have for the round. If time is not an option I will usually putt out everything. If I am just squeezing in a quick round or few holes with limited time I will just pick up anything within 10ft or so. I can practice 10ft Putts easily pretty much anytime not going to bother when I am in a hurry.

I fastball the putter into the chains in a fit of rage and anger from how my round is usually going.

I have definitely thrown in a few at maximum speed from a foot or two away

I watched someone do this from about 10' once, and miss the entire basket.

It was an open hilltop green, so the disc soared about 300' over treetops and down the hill, and about 200' into the woods and swamps of an undeveloped part of the course, gone forever.

Which did not lessen the rage that prompted the throw in the first place.

Ever since I missed a literal drop in (standing at the basket) by not looking at what I was doing, I put the disk in the basket every time. No such thing as a 'gimme' for me apparently.

^^ I saw something similar. Holing out during a tournament another player on my card and I was talking as he bent over to pick up his drop in. He laid it on the rim of the basket then let go. We watched as the disc teetered back and forth from falling in to falling out. I think that disc swayed in each direction three times before luckily (for him) it fell into the basket.

Every time I'm in that situation I remember this and make sure not to touch the rim of the basket with my drop in.

I make the disc touch the inside of the basket, no matter what. The hole doesnt feel complete if the disc doesnt touch the inside of the basket.

I just don't understand that at all. Touching the basket is no more completing the hole than just pretending you would have made the putt. Why take the extra step of slapping the chains when it doesn't mean anything? If you are that close, why not just let go of the disc?

I like to actually complete the hole even when playing casually, but that might be because only about 25% of my throws are putts made, so it's more of a special occasion for me.

There is a classic putt from Barry Schultz from at least six or seven years ago where he lifted the disc, hit the rim, and had it fall out (from under the basket). Barry, being Barry, smiled, shook his head, and then dropped the disc in. One of the many reasons I'm a Barry fan.

I just don't understand that at all. Touching the basket is no more completing the hole than just pretending you would have made the putt. Why take the extra step of slapping the chains when it doesn't mean anything? If you are that close, why not just let go of the disc?

I like to actually complete the hole even when playing casually, but that might be because only about 25% of my throws are putts made, so it's more of a special occasion for me.

Im not following you, at all. I complete every hole I play, legitimately. If I am close enough to put the disc in the basket, I do. If I have to putt from 7 feet, I do. Every hole complete in a casual round.

Im not following you, at all. I complete every hole I play, legitimately. If I am close enough to put the disc in the basket, I do. If I have to putt from 7 feet, I do. Every hole complete in a casual round.

What he is saying is, if you consider it a gimme, and you're not going to legitimately putt out the hole, why even bother to slap the chains? I never really got that either. Maybe it's superstition/appeasing the dg gods or something.

What he is saying is, if you consider it a gimme, and you're not going to legitimately putt out the hole, why even bother to slap the chains? I never really got that either. Maybe it's superstition/appeasing the dg gods or something.

Also, I misread "inside" as "side". Makes all the difference.

Latest posts