• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dogs don't belong on disc golf courses

We don't have kids, we have dogs. :thmbup: But like a kid, if my dog wasn't well behaved, home it would stay. As stated many times, it's usually not the dog but the owner who is the problem. I don't mind well behaved dogs on the course and would take them over some unbelievably rude players I know.
I could not see bringing my pooch to the course and trying to play a round. I have enough troubles keeping track of my towel let alone my pup. :eek:

I seen a guy bring his two little yorkie/pug lookin dogs and they had leashes but he was he didn't have enough hands to hold on to them. They stayed pretty close and didn't bother anybody. I didn't have a problem with them. I heard about a guy that trained his dog to retrieve his discs out of the basket for him. Now that would be the dog to bring!

i get two gripes when i take Lola out...which is pretty much every golf outing:

she has a tendency to park it when discs tend to land in the fairway
she sometimes goes over and gerbs on the discs. :\ she doesnt chew them but she paws/goobers on them a lil bit.

when im playing with a few people, i keep her close on the leash, but sometimes she wanders off...id like to not have to worry about her being in the wrong spot and going gerbtastic.

shes a work in progress. :)

anyone have any experience training a bird dog to stay at the teepad when people are throwing?

I bring my dog as often as possible. She is a Chocolate Labrador with a sweet personality, and she stays on her leash, which is in turn attached to my tournament-sized bag. She knows not to pull when I'm walking, and to stay within leash-length. When I set my bag down and say "stay" and then walk away to make a shot, she does indeed remain settled at my bag. If anyone is annoyed by her presence, then I would seriously wonder about their attitude more generally (the worst thing she'll do is howl at passing fire/police sirens). On the other hand, if a dog isn't well-behaved or trained to do exactly what I describe above, then they are indeed an annoyance at times. (And picking up after one's dog shouldn't even have to be mentioned, it should be automatic.)

Anyways, just like some people shouldn't be at a disc golf course, some dogs should not either. But don't paint with such a broad brush and say all dogs should be banned: there are an enormous variety of personalities out there, just like people.

i think the gripe is against owners not the dog...

i dont mind dogs assuming they arent a major distraction. It's up to the OWNER to refrain from bringing a dog that IS a major distraction. So to me, an owner that brings a dog that disrupts the flow of a game enough times to be a problem is disrespectful. The problem is the owner not the dog.

What would you do if someone brought their whiney ass kid to the park.

I have no problems with dogs. I dont mind throwing balls. pine cones and "interacting" with a dog. At the same time, i dont mind causing a disruptive moment with a dog owner that has an unruly dog.

maybe its me, or where i live, but here in SF, we dont have many dog problems.... i can only think of 1 time where i've encountered dog issues, and after a little bit of static, the owner removed the dog.

i get two gripes when i take Lola out...which is pretty much every golf outing:

she has a tendency to park it when discs tend to land in the fairway
she sometimes goes over and gerbs on the discs. :\ she doesnt chew them but she paws/goobers on them a lil bit.

when im playing with a few people, i keep her close on the leash, but sometimes she wanders off...id like to not have to worry about her being in the wrong spot and going gerbtastic.

shes a work in progress. :)

anyone have any experience training a bird dog to stay at the teepad when people are throwing?

I'm liking this gerbtastic word.

And really...if you don't want to have to pick up after your dog then you better not have a dog. Or even better idea if you can't not have a dog...make them take a duce before you go at some time, and if they haven't some time that day they stay home. My dog doesn't go because he loves to play fetch with a frisbee and he's way too excitable with new people, a disc course would just be overload for him.

I love dogs. Its dumb a$$ dog owners I can't stand. If your dog is running around and barking it is a distraction and nuisance to everyone else but you. I've taken my brothers dog when I was dog sitting and a couple times my bro has come out with us. His dog is never leashed unless he "has" to be. But his black lab/pit mix is mellow and obedient. He just hangs with us. He'll run up to our discs and generally won't touch them. I've never played in a high use park with a lot of dogs on the course so I've never had any problems with dog poop. The parks I normally play do have quite a few folks walking their dogs and not all of them clean up after them. It doesn't bug me that much. There's less of it than goose poop.

I owned a dog, Flash, that was never a problem for anyone because he just stayed by my side. And I've owned a dog, Kona, that was hard headed, free spirited and loved to run up and say hello to everyone. I would have no problem taking Flash anywhere. But I'd never have taken Kona to a golf course.

It's called common sense. Unfortunately it should be called uncommon sense because it seems so few possess it.

I got into disc golf, and play disc golf only because I wanted something to do with my dog. I have trained her not to fetch discs and she is overly friendly and wants to meet everyone. I clean up after her and from there it should not be a problem. IT IS THE WOODS!

If the dog listens when called(get off the tee pad, please), doesn't chase and/or chew discs I'm fine with it being along......... and regardless of the fact that it's in the woods, pick up the poo! It's a golf course.

I had my 1st bad dog experience on a DG course the other week -- my buddy and I were ahead of 2 guys who had a dog (off-leash) that had seemed friendly when we had ben around them before at teedpads and such. Then, while they were looking for a disc in some thick stuff, we got further ahead of them, but then got in some thick stuff ourselves. I was down in a small ditch looking for his disc, and he was up on the top of it. All of a sudden, we hear the deepest growl and bark, and he looks up to see the dog about 5 feet away from him in a very threatening stance. We both freeze, and I am scanning for anything I can use in case things go bad. After about a minute, the dog gives one more short bark, then goes back to his owners, who I think were very oblivious to what had happened. If he had been on a leash or better trained, or they had paid attention that he was not where they could see what he was doing it would never have happened.

So, bring your dog, just make sure you can control it.

Probably depends on the course but if it's a course that's part of a pulbic park I'm going to go ahead and bring my dog. If it's a casual round and not tournament play then you shouldn't have to worry about it. If you happen to not be a dog person that's fine but I'm not going to leave my friendly dog at home because of someone else's opinion about them

Dog poo on the shoe sucks. Can I penalize a course's rating based on this? I love dogs, but why can't people clean up their crap?

I don't need to read 16 pages to come up with that response, it just came to me.. that simple.

Latest posts