• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Easiest disc to throw a 275ft tunnel shot.

I typically throw a beat Envy. It has enough HSS to stay dead flat on a hard pull, without a heavy fade at the end, which helps on lower ceilings. I am able to throw it lower than most other putters on this kind of hole and still make it there without much of a problem. If I feel the need to disc up Ill either move up to a gauge or beat Crave on a similar pull to the Envy.

I knew when I saw this thread earlier that Roc or Buzzz would be the most mentioned...I was surprised to see the River get some love with a few nods.

I will say a seasoned River or a beat down DX Teebird. A DX Cobra would not be out of the question for me personally, I know they are considered understable but, I can get mine to go nice and straight when I rip on it.

brand spankin new comet

one of my best shots of all time was on hole 14, Iroquois Park in Louisville, KY - known by the name "Tiger Woods." I threw an ESP comet as hard as I could, it flew straight straight straight for about 310', then slid directly forward another 20', leaving me an easy up and down for 3. I don't know another disc that can fly and finish that straight. should work for the hole you described

Last edited:
Id throw a powered down witness flat or patriot on a slight anny if i didnt want to muscle a hyzer flipped mid a la comet or theory

Id throw a powered down witness flat or patriot on a slight anny if i didnt want to muscle a hyzer flipped mid a la comet or theory

My thoughts exactly only replacing the comet or theory with my beat DX Marshall Street Roc. Really depends on the exact situation...strategy plays a big part on a shot like that. But Patriot does wonders in situations like this.

wow....awesome comments, greatly appreciated! hmm... time for flight path / distance research based on the discs mentioned in this thread. (Always fun to do! ) lol...

275ft is an odd distance, its between a midrange and a fairway for many people.

If you can throw a mid-range that far, then obviously its your best choice. Any time you can use a lower speed disc to reach your target your going to get more accuracy and easier to range the shot.

I would recommend a Legacy Pinnacle Gauge, its great for throwing straight at that distance.

Otherwise if your more comfortable with a lower speed fairway driver at that distance, i would say a Legacy Patriot could work.

If it's just 275' straight, let's say a 12' wide tunnel, and no ceiling, wind or hills to consider, I'd feel most comfortable throwing a putter. Anything else I feel like I'd have to power down more than I'd like. I'd consider my seasoned Axis for this shot, especially if it were a casual round and I wanted to go for the ace, but if the shot "counts" I'd try to park it with a Proxy or seasoned light Envy.

Any of those variables I mentioned could change my answer though. If there's a headwind, if I'm throwing uphill, if there is a 15' high ceiling etc., my answer will be different.

Squall unless I have to finish absolutely dead straight (my Squall still likes to fade out a bit), then either an Opto Fuse or beat Axis on a hyzer flip.

Or a flick roller. :|

this seems like a situational thing.

these four discs sound like they could all be perfect:

- flippy driver like a leo/valk/wraith
- seasoned teebird/or its equivalent in another brand
- comet/beat in roc
- driving putter

low ceiling then the putters and mid range is tough. also its all about confidence... sometimes you're short upshot/midrange game is ON and you know you can sling a mid/putter in there for a putt. other times you want to shoot something FAST through that first gap and just get it there so a teebird or even a flippy distance driver will do that.

personally I'll try to throw a comet or beat in McPro roc3 and hyzerflip it so I can get a nice forward skip. Its hit or miss for me though... sometimes I'm parked, sometimes I shank, sometimes I just don't have the snap that day (coupled with being psyched out by the trees/tunnel) and barely get to 250ft.

what I see the 1000 rated players/top AM1 players in my area do for that 300ft tunnel shot the most actually surprised me:

they'll muscle a beefy teebird (like a brinster) in there. they'll use its overstability and point and shoot (maybe with a little anny) and get it there.

I've been trying it and see why they always do it, its such a predictable shot and also very reproducible. A little wind might push a mid/putter into the trees, but a brinster teebird can handle that wind and you can work with its fade.