• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fanboys and plastic worship

No, it's not. It's just annoying as hell when people take it to the extreme and become evangelical about it.

Yes. But in that case, it's not the "limiting yourself to one manufacturer" that's annoying.....it's the proclaiming that everyone else should follow suit, that is.

I got accused of this as my bag was mainly Innova, I have been gifted the bulk of my discs by folks who shopped in the big box stores (Big 5, Dicks, Sportsmans Warehouse) and like it or not they are present there.
It wasn't the "Hey, n00b. Nice all-Innova bag" kinda fanboy thing. Innova had the most resources sunk into PDGA tournaments and sometimes you would run into a Pro player or a Pro player wannabe that would curse you for throwing Lightning because you were not appropriately supporting PDGA Open payouts. That kinda thing. There were a lot of lawsuits back then over patents and such so bad blood between the few companies that were in disc golf back then was common. Since the scene was so small it could spill over to the players, especially the Pro players who were more likely to have heard the gory details.

Now Innova could be suing DD and I'd never know. The game is so much bigger and the scene is so different that even the fanboy behavior is significantly different. Back then if you were a marginal Pro and wanted to prove your "clout" to your sponsor, you needed to line up retail sites and run events so you could move a bunch of plastic for them. Now you can upload In The Bag videos to your facebook account and share it all over so it gets views, which doesn't seem like nearly as much work.

Last edited:
Agreed, it's really too bad the two often seem to go hand in hand. :wall:

Or.. is it that you only notice it then.. hrm...

One's a subset of the other. There may be a large number of 1-maker disc golfers, a handful of whom are the annoying ones. The rest, just do it without telling us, so we never notice.

Is this disc golf manufacturer fanboy behavior really such a torment to some people here?

The circles I run in have very few disc golfers. Most people I know are just learning of its existence from me. I am not sure that any of the people I actually play rounds with could tell me the names of 5 disc golf manufacturers. They play with just one or two brands, most likely given to them by me because they know almost nothing. On the relatively few occasions that I have played a round with experienced players, I don't think any of us ever talked about molds or brands. It was always well understood that a throw was good(or bad) because the player executed the shot well(or not well), not because of any brand.

The only exposure that I get to anything that resembles disc golf fanboyism is on this website and this website only. To me it looks like passion, that admittedly is sometimes misdirected. Passionate people will inevitably sometimes rub other passionate people the wrong way. But, I appreciate people's efforts to instruct and help others to become better.

Moral(s) of the story for me: Take the good with the bad. Chew the meat, spit out the bones. Don't worry too much about trivial First World problems.

Last edited:
Is this disc golf manufacturer fanboy behavior really such a torment to some people here?

The circles I run in have very few disc golfers. Most people I know are just learning of its existence from me...

I gather you don't participate in weeklies, monthlies, or sanctioned events then? Many of those people are aggressively forthcoming about their preferences.

I get crap all the time for throwing some of the discs I do. Kings get me the most crap. Just because I'd rather hyzerflip one of them 400 instead of anny torquing a BH with a Star Destroyer like half the guys I play against in competition they think it's a lesser disc. Maybe it is, I don't care, as long as I get the birdies too.

Used to get a lot of crap for not liking Prodigy, "they are the local brand, all the pros are going with them, your missing out man".

This could be my nonconformist streak, but if you want me to do something, you'd be better off telling me not to lol.

As a Discraft thrower living in Innova country, I get it a lot. Even players with a strong preference to one of the smaller companies, like MVP or Legacy, will still bag some Innova and more often then not jump on the "it's Discrap" bandwagon. They're welcome to preoccupy themselves with what I bag.

I get it even worse, I throw an Impact and get mocked by even Discraft throwers for using said disc that I should use a Buzz only for those shots. Well the Impact has a good place in my bag. I am thinking about trying a Buzz for some midrange shots.

Last edited:

The circles I run in have very few disc golfers. Most people I know are just learning of its existence from me. I am not sure that any of the people I actually play rounds with could tell me the names of 5 disc golf manufacturers. They play with just one or two brands, most likely given to them by me because they know almost nothing. On the relatively few occasions that I have played a round with experienced players, I don't think any of us ever talked about molds or brands. It was always well understood that a throw was good(or bad) because the player executed the shot well(or not well), not because of any brand.

The only exposure that I get to anything that resembles disc golf fanboyism is on this website and this website only. To me it looks like passion, that admittedly is sometimes misdirected. Passionate people will inevitably sometimes rub other passionate people the wrong way. But, I appreciate people's efforts to instruct and help others to become better.

Moral(s) of the story for me: Take the good with the bad. Chew the meat, spit out the bones. Don't worry too much about trivial First World problems.

I might be able to go one further and name 4 or 5 brands that no longer exist or are discs are under a new name, Lighting and its molds are now owned by Got To Go Got To Throw, Quest AT is gone, Discwing is gone, Ching is gone.

Last edited:
The pro in my state is using Latitude 64 and side brands, as is a pro person from my state now living in Minnesota with Dynamic Discs ad then side brands. So if you are not using Trilogy or Innova, local sports store sells those, in my area you are getting snubbed. I use Discraft/Innova and those from out of state do not mind me using Discraft but the born in state players seem to go with Trilogy set or Innova and snub players with other discs. They will except me barely due to the fact I was with the group that helped with the design of a Disc golf course, the in town one and the back 9-17, 18 was already old 9 on the out of town course. Local courses are Steamboat, and Powerhouse Ally.

The pro in my state is using Latitude 64 and side brands, as is a pro person from my state now living in Minnesota with Dynamic Discs ad then side brands. So if you are not using Trilogy or Innova, local sports store sells those, in my area you are getting snubbed. I use Discraft/Innova and those from out of state do not mind me using Discraft but the born in state players seem to go with Trilogy set or Innova and snub players with other discs. They will except me barely due to the fact I was with the group that helped with the design of a Disc golf course, the in town one and the back 9-17, 18 was already old 9 on the out of town course. Local courses are Steamboat, and Powerhouse Ally.

Playground stuff! makes you wonder if we left the 8th grade yet?

I get it even worse, I throw an Impact and get mocked by even Discraft throwers for using said disc that I should use a Buzz only for those shots. Well the Impact has a good place in my bag. I am thinking about trying a Buzz for some midrange shots.

Thats just stupid, getting crap for a 170g piece of plastic because of mould or name!

It wasn't the "Hey, n00b. Nice all-Innova bag" kinda fanboy thing. Innova had the most resources sunk into PDGA tournaments and sometimes you would run into a Pro player or a Pro player wannabe that would curse you for throwing Lightning because you were not appropriately supporting PDGA Open payouts. That kinda thing. There were a lot of lawsuits back then over patents and such so bad blood between the few companies that were in disc golf back then was common. Since the scene was so small it could spill over to the players, especially the Pro players who were more likely to have heard the gory details.

Now Innova could be suing DD and I'd never know. The game is so much bigger and the scene is so different that even the fanboy behavior is significantly different. Back then if you were a marginal Pro and wanted to prove your "clout" to your sponsor, you needed to line up retail sites and run events so you could move a bunch of plastic for them. Now you can upload In The Bag videos to your facebook account and share it all over so it gets views, which doesn't seem like nearly as much work.

If it was the "Hey noob" ribbing that would be ok, but its like the cult like behaviour that really narks me off. I am only about 2 years in and have seen such positives from folks in the DG community but like everything else we have our share of numpties! (The only thing that came close is when I was finishing up playing rugby and Under Armor were making quite a few products that Canterbury used to only make and were making them cheaper, I got crap for looking after my wallet instead of going with the "rugby company")

Basically I am not shaped like most disc golf players, I am an ex athlete who let himself go and is super overweight now, so I don't usually take advice from folks who have different form than I do and care more about mechanics and learning the plastic that I have rather than getting 5 strokes off by flinging the plastic of whatever guy is trying to tell me this has revamped his game.

But i see the reasoning when a brand allows it's name to be attached to this:

5321d8a5.gif

I gather you don't participate in weeklies, monthlies, or sanctioned events then? Many of those people are aggressively forthcoming about their preferences.

Yet another reason for me to never play weeklies, monthlies or sanctioned events. Thank you for helping me realize it's not just the pace of play.

I'll listen to their sermon.
I'll throw the disc they insist should be in my bag
I'll even compliment that the disc flies just as they said it would.
Then I pull out an Innova disc, seasoned by 32+ years of experience and say "but this flies the same".

That usually makes them go away.

I don't have The Facebook but out in the real world I have witnessed little to no proselytizing to the level of annoyance. I expect and understand a certain amount of outward support from sponsored players and "brand ambassadors", but even then, I have never really witnessed much overkill in that regard. I have never been snubbed in any sort of way because of the brand I'm throwing. I would honestly laugh in someones face if that happened.

.....and key their car later