• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Firebirds Illegal!

I don't get it, if this has always been a rule for too funny, how did the gumbputt and blowfly ever get approved? I can understand it taking a long time to test every disc so existing molds could fall through the cracks like the xg's, but the gumbputt was never produced in anything but disgustingly flexible rubber.

They easily pass the flex test. Why wouldn't they be approved?

Flexy is OK. Firm is not. I don't know how you can call something that can't retain a flat disc shape on its own is considered a disc, but that's not the issue in the thread.

And I should've added one of these to my confirmation "This" post --> :|

what about kc pro aviars ?? are those just as stiff if not stiffer medium flex gateway wizards???

In a world, where stiff plastic is outlawed, one man rises to the top. Stephen "Gummy" Mattingly.

I'd love for everything to start being produced gummier. Everything in bag would pass that test no sweat. And it would be fun to watch everyone get angry if PDGA started cracking down. :popcorn:

In the OP photo, are you sure that the distance between the inner rims is half the diameter of the disc? There needs to be a ruler on the scale, or taped to the upper inner rim, that measures inner rim to inner rim.

If we are going to do this, let's do this. Time for a little equal opportunity...

Did your disc retain it's correct, un-taco-ed state after your test? If not, then I believe this is 100% an issue with manufacturing, and anything stamped "approved" by the manufacturer is legal for use.

If you can't test my "approved" disc without damaging it, then that is an impossible test to perform. Even if the disc is legal, by testing you will ruin the disc. That's not an acceptable test.

I have alot of respect for most of you guys, some on here are very knowledgable but if you are trying to get discs illegal in spite of the g9i wizards being deemed illegal, you sir are a douche. No one likes a rat/snitch/nark, its one of the first things your parents probally taught you.... Stop tattletelling all the time. And then to go after fbs, a really popular disc, what a tragedy.

I don't think anyone has submitted this to the PDGA to tattle. It's just a discussion on a disc golf forum. It's a way to confirm that Innova is held to a different standard than the other manufacturers by the "governing body" of our sport. Nothing wrong with that...

This firebird is seven pounds of illegal. Granted they're a pretty stiff disc, but there are is a lot of plastic that isn't as obviously stiff but would measure a lb or two over the limit. I would guess most champ discs and a lot of big rimmed discs that are harder to bend would fail this test.

There are, as mentioned above, a lot of putters and base plastic that will FOLD just as soon as it would flex that far.

If anything all of this discussion just shows that the pdga needs to come up with a different set of standards for putters, mids, and drivers and make it easy for TDs to enforce out on the course. Maybe vary the allowed stiffness based on rim width, so smaller rims can be stiffer than something with a wider rim. None of this really matters a lot though until you can come up with an easy and consistent way to test this in the field.

I guess I liken this to instant replay in the NFL, where you have to have conclusive evidence to overturn a missed call. If I question the stiffness of a players disc the td will come over and fondle it for a second, not really have a good way to make a determination and say its OK, he can continue to use it. The best way to ensure discs are at an allowable specification is to be spot checked in the factory and that still doesn't fix any old stock sitting around in stores. The rule is a good idea in theory, we just don't have a thorough way to enforce it yet. So either the rule needs to be rewritten or people just need to keep throwing their stiffies and realize that its next to impossible to enforce.

I have alot of respect for most of you guys, some on here are very knowledgable but if you are trying to get discs illegal in spite of the g9i wizards being deemed illegal, you sir are a douche. No one likes a rat/snitch/nark, its one of the first things your parents probally taught you.... Stop tattletelling all the time. And then to go after fbs, a really popular disc, what a tragedy.

Its narc :)

stop_snitchin_womens_light_tshirt.jpg

Here's a link to my original post, if you want the details...

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79529&page=55

I did not have a ruler on it while I was bending it, but it is pretty obvious when you get past the point of no return. The disc gives up resisting and settles in to a zone that is obviously the point at which you take your reading. Also realize that the rule states to take your reading at the highest threshold. In this case that would have been closer to 44 lbs. I took the reading at the lowest point after it had settled in for a few seconds. Trust me, this is not that stiff of a Firebird either...,

I fully understand following rules but this all came about because one person is mad their favorite putter in their favorite plastic is getting made an example. A very poor example at that. A putter too stiff, come on now! Yes some drivers are more likely to result in more stitches than others but that test of pushing it on a scale is not an accurate way of measurement. Then to go out looking for discs for the spite of it when its not our jobs to do that, still douchey.

Here's a link to my original post, if you want the details...

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79529&page=55

I did not have a ruler on it while I was bending it, but it is pretty obvious when you get past the point of no return. The disc gives up resisting and settles in to a zone that is obviously the point at which you take your reading. Also realize that the rule states to take your reading at the highest threshold. In this case that would have been closer to 44 lbs. I took the reading at the lowest point after it had settled in for a few seconds. Trust me, this is not that stiff of a Firebird either...,

So, you sre asking us to "trust" you, the accuracy of your scale, the temperature at which it was tested and the accuracy of all the other variables? Right.

If the OP is testing the disc at 77 degrees why are they wearing jeans and a sweatshirt? I don't really care one way or the other, just pointing that out.

Not sure if serious....

:|