• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] For the love of the Bird! ..Teebird that is!

While they're maybe not quite as beef as the Brinster, the current JL 12x are almost as beefy without the higher price tag. You'd likely be better off just using a newer 12x so you don't fear losing the Brinster. That would at least be my logic. The new 12x for me at least, are a perfect Step to my firebird stability.

I will second this advice...
I got all excited about thowing Brinsters, and invested fairly heavy in them.
I found I didnt like how domey and stiff they are. I like the JL grip though.
I tried to flatten a couple to 11x flatness, and they flattened out perfect! The only problem was, they became even more OS!! Ultimately, I started finding beautiful flatter 12x JL birds, and they honestly have the perfect amount of OS for me, and are still beefier than any other birds Ive tried (other than Brinsters)
Anything more OS than that, I just backhand my Firebird.
Normally, I dont need anymore stability from a fairway/driver. If I need that much fade/hyzer I'm in a situation where the distance is more of a mid-range shot.

That's good to hear...That's what I was hoping my pre-flight would be, but it turns a bit more than I expected. Maybe I'll get an AJ and Brinster...then it will be Brinster, 12x, AJ, and pre-flight in order if stability.

I have been using an all premium plastic Teebird lineup for my fairways for a while now. I still like the champ Leopards for my US, turnover, fairway...but I recently picked up a gummy pre-flight 12x 150g Teebird and it has great promise to replace the Leopard in that slot.

The 150g, can cover almost all the same shots as the Leo, but it takes just a tad more snap to turnover in a hurry, and it still turns over later in the flight. For me, this is actually good, cause I can tend to have some OAT (wrist roll over) when I throw turnovers, so the 150g TB is a little more forgiving.

The DX TB's are just too flippy for me, and I dont like to always have to cycle discs.

I rarely have a need for a fairway as OS as the Brinsters, and if I'm on an open course with high winds, I will toss a PD in the bag.

My Teebird lineup (from most OS to US) goes like this:

1) Current run JL 12x 175g Flat-ish
2) Current rub JL 12x 169g Flat
3) 11x CAL mold 175g super flat (This is my one weakness, and I LOVE this mold so I do collect and throw these, but you could maybe get a similar flight from a pre-flight # star)
4) 150g flat 12x

I have yet to find another disc/mold or Teebird that can replicate the flight of the 11x CAL. They are just a little faster, have more glide, and completely bomb!! I have a few that are absolute meat hooks, but in general, they are plain neutral/stable and penetrate farther with a nice slight fade at the end.
This is my GO-TO disc, and covers 75% of my pulls from the tee (over 300ft).

I rarely have a need for a fairway as OS as the Brinsters, and if I'm on an open course with high winds, I will toss a PD in the bag.

Good call. I have some of the flat, firm MF's and I'll use those or Eagles in the wind if I'm out for a round with a speed limit on my bag. For normal rounds, I find the faster PD penetrates the wind better and doesn't suffer from the same loss of glide you get with a flatter Teebird.

I also found DX TBs to be too flippy at first, but the last few rounds I tried them they were pretty dead stable. That might have more to do with winter golf than the disc.

Good call. I have some of the flat, firm MF's and I'll use those or Eagles in the wind if I'm out for a round with a speed limit on my bag. For normal rounds, I find the faster PD penetrates the wind better and doesn't suffer from the same loss of glide you get with a flatter Teebird.

I also found DX TBs to be too flippy at first, but the last few rounds I tried them they were pretty dead stable. That might have more to do with winter golf than the disc.

I might try a minty fresh one someday, but the ones I tried (even with light use) were dang near rollers for me :-/

CEcho Stars are my favorite they have a mild dome and start off nice and stable like a good Teebird should. The plastic is also pretty nice it's fairly grippy and just as durable as regular Star.

That is why I'm so tempted to grab one! I have a Glow DX that is super straight, and Star TL which is slightly more over stable, and a 12X and a Brinster Teebird in the bag that is almost too overstable, but I know that they will break in nicely.

What can anyone tell me about a Nine Time KC Pro Teebird? Seems like really great grippy and tough stuff. Sort of flexy and soft. Wondering why this isn't nearly as popular as the 10 and 11x stuff?

What can anyone tell me about a Nine Time KC Pro Teebird? Seems like really great grippy and tough stuff. Sort of flexy and soft. Wondering why this isn't nearly as popular as the 10 and 11x stuff?

Not tough. Slightly more durable than DX.

Try a mid 150's champ tee bird. Flatter the better. I think you'll find that you have more control over the disc too. 150 fairways are very underrated I think.

terrible idea. don't try them...u will love them. great for field work too. they fly forever and straight with good form. they show flaws. kinda like comets.

I have yet to find another disc/mold or Teebird that can replicate the flight of the 11x CAL. They are just a little faster, have more glide, and completely bomb!! I have a few that are absolute meat hooks, but in general, they are plain neutral/stable and penetrate farther with a nice slight fade at the end.
This is my GO-TO disc, and covers 75% of my pulls from the tee (over 300ft).

I bagged 11x TBs for a while until I moved to eagles that start off with more fade and beat into the teebird stable wheelhouse. As for a seasoned 11x TB alternative you really should try the pinnacle Rival and prodigy F3.

I am ashamed to admit that I haven't thrown a Teebird yet. I have been using FD's as my only fairway driver. I have 1st, 2nd and 3rd run of C-Line and the regular domey S-line FD. Recently I've had a hard time finding those more stable 2nd run FD's. Compared to 1st and 3rd run I can say that the 2nd run FD is completely different beast. Love it because of that. The problem is that those are pretty hard to find and the plastic is very stiff and slick compared to the new Jolly-plastic.

Could someone tell me how the new 12x JL Teebirds compare to the 2nd run C-Line FD? Should I just switch to Teebirds?

Thanks.

I am ashamed to admit that I haven't thrown a Teebird yet. I have been using FD's as my only fairway driver. I have 1st, 2nd and 3rd run of C-Line and the regular domey S-line FD. Recently I've had a hard time finding those more stable 2nd run FD's. Compared to 1st and 3rd run I can say that the 2nd run FD is completely different beast. Love it because of that. The problem is that those are pretty hard to find and the plastic is very stiff and slick compared to the new Jolly-plastic.

Could someone tell me how the new 12x JL Teebirds compare to the 2nd run C-Line FD? Should I just switch to Teebirds?

Thanks.

The question is, what reasons do you have to stop using the FD's?
Are they lacking in some way?

The question is, what reasons do you have to stop using the FD's?
Are they lacking in some way?

Did you even read what you quoted??

Seems like they want to know if Teebirds will be a good replacement for their hard to find 2nd run FD's

Did you even read what you quoted??

Seems like they want to know if Teebirds will be a good replacement for their hard to find 2nd run FD's

lol, and teebirds are any easier to find good consistent molds?

good luck with either

lol, and teebirds are any easier to find good consistent molds?

good luck with either

All i can say is

Current run Jolly launcher 12x Teebirds fly similar to the 11X CA mold that i throw. That is the extent of my knowledge on this subject. TBH i've tried Domey regular champs, flat regular champs, new jolly launcher , and 11X CA and they all started pretty similar ; Nice and overstable with alot of glide. I think people get really really caught up hunting specific runs, i've tried discs from each specific run and honestly haven't found anything special (Except for the beat CE Teebird of course, that thing flies like fairies are guiding it)

Nothing flies like a good 11x CAL, IMO. The CA molds are a bit domier and closer to current runs. It's damn near impossible to find a truely flat TB in primo plastic these days.

11x CALs and KC Pros are where it's at...but the JL 'birds sound promising. I have seen some glow champs that were pretty flat, but stiff as a board. Not the tacky and gummy goodness of 11x...

Latest posts