• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Good at turnover shots

I'm a fan of the turnover as well, but more on 200' or greater drives...anything under or around 200' I'd try a forehand...

Which leads me to this question...anyone have both a RHBH and LHBH? I've comtemplated working this into my game but I haven't worked on it yet.

I did try that out. I was decently successful with it, but my LHBH control was out of whack. I could hit 300' LHBH, but I couldn't hit the lines that I wanted to, so I just went back to turnover shots.

I should really try LHBH again. Maybe I can control it better now that my RHBH technique is good. I had to totally abondon my LHBH when I was struggling with RHBH, so I concentrated on my good arm.

I can't seem to get a forehand throw down, I only ever had one forehand shot in ultimate and it was a quick get it the f outta here shot that was based entirely on shoulder and hip rotation and does NOTHING for disc golf.

So I use turnover shots a lot. I also use thumbers to get to the right at times.

\/\/

A short shot like that, with a sharp right turn, I'd be tempted to try a RHFH, even though I' not good. With an overstable driver, I could get it out there.

As far as a turnover shot (like with my beat DX Eagle), I only use them for longer shots that need a bigger turn, or a very late turn, not necessary sharp, just big with little fade back. THese shots usually requrie a bit of height, to aviod it turning over into a roller.

For more controlled right turns, I prefer an anny release with wearing stable disc, as it is less likely for me to loose control of it too far right.

For short turnovers, try throwing a neutral to slightly understable putter with lots of snap and fairly low to the ground, much lower than if you were trying to go for max d with a putter. In situations like this I'd normally use an anhyzer release, but short turnovers are possible.

Once practiced, no they aren't. I think (Guessing from what I've seen locally) some players utilize the forehand shot as a crutch, because they haven't developed a proper anhyzer. Someone I used to throw with would toss forehand any time he needed a right turn. An anhyzer, or turnover, isn't very difficult if you've practiced it and you know your discs, but some peoples habits would lead you to think otherwise.

Your terminology here is odd. What is crutchlike about throwing a hyzer forehand instead of a turnover? They're both just tools, and hyzers are very predictable, whether thrown forehand or backhand.

Why force a disc to turnover in flight when you can just start it at the appropriate angle and have it carry through at that angle for the entire flight?

Your terminology here is odd. What is crutchlike about throwing a hyzer forehand instead of a turnover? They're both just tools, and hyzers are very predictable, whether thrown forehand or backhand.

Nothing wrong with FH approaching, I just think it's optimal to be able to throw a backhand anhyzer, backhand turnover AND a FH shot, so you have a wider range of choices. I said "crutch" as in I've seen some players not be able to throw a good BH anhyzer, so they use FH for right turns instead. It works, but I think a shot is missing from their game.

@stsren: I don't use them often, I usually do what you just described. There are some holes that have lines where a turnover works best though. Hole #2 at Deis Hill in Dover, Ohio is a good turnover hole. Annies work but there isn't as much room as I'd like for one.

I throw anhyzer for right turns, rather than throwing "turnovers"...
I eat turnovers for dessert after a good round...

I seldom throw a true turnover unless it's for distance and I'm trying to get a comet or a Buzzz (or low speed driver) to flip from a slight hyzer or flat release to drift anny...THIS is a difficult shot unless you have a high ceiling (difficult for me, anyway) because you run the following risks:
1. Inadequate snap = shot doesn't turnover, goes too straight
2. Inadequate speed = shot doesn't turnover, goes too straight
3. High nose angle = adds stability to disc which prevents proper turnover, disc goes too straight
3a. Low nose angle = decreases stability to disc, leads to turn and burn
4. Too much speed = shot turns over too much, not enough distance or turn and burn
5. Too much snap = shot turns over too much, short on distance or turn and burn
6. Not enough height = turn and burn or inadequate bend on shot
7. Too much height = shot may begin an S-Curve and come out of the turn away from basket (disc selection is important here, as if you have an understable disc this is less likely)

It is a delicate shot, in my opinion, and throwing it properly at a distance requires a combination of good fundamentals and comfort level with the disc you're putting on that line.

Aren't these all applicable to anhyzers as well?

Why force a disc to turnover in flight when you can just start it at the appropriate angle and have it carry through at that angle for the entire flight?

Because you need more room on the left to do that and a higher ceiling. If it's a straight tunnel that turns right at the end it's pretty impossible to start it and have it stay on an anhyzer angle. It's either gotta be a forehand or a turnover.

I find that my anhyzer shots end up either too sharp to the right (rhbh) or the fade at the end screws me.

I don't use turnover shots so much as they end up just going right...right...right.

Was playing around with a firebird and it might help my fh, but when I tried to turn it over it went 100 feet right and took me 35 minutes to find it.

I love my anhyzer, just wish I could control it a bit more to keep it from going too far anhyzer, and less fade.

A couple of years ago, I would have told you that I was more comfortable throwing a sidearm instead of a turnover. Now, it's the exact opposite, but I can still throw a sidearm accurately up to 300' when needed - I just feel more comfortable throwing a turnover/anhyzer in most situations.

I can throw an slow anny but not very far so if it is a huge turn or a longer distance I got to fh as it is how I am mote accurate

I find that my anhyzer shots end up either too sharp to the right (rhbh) or the fade at the end screws me.

I don't use turnover shots so much as they end up just going right...right...right.

Was playing around with a firebird and it might help my fh, but when I tried to turn it over it went 100 feet right and took me 35 minutes to find it.

I love my anhyzer, just wish I could control it a bit more to keep it from going too far anhyzer, and less fade.

Just remember that with ternover annies your aiming point or target is the apex of it's flight. You want to hit the highest point in the flight at the correct anyhyzer angle for that disc so that it can just fall the rest of the way to the right and land flat. So you're not aiming at where you want it to land because you know if you get it to "stall" at the correct point of the flight and at the correct angle it'll end up where you want it.

Aren't these all applicable to anhyzers as well?

I should preface this by noting that I am not, nor do I wish to portray, an expert on any kind of disc golf shot.

Now to my answer...
To a certain degree, they would apply to all shots.
However, they're more critical when you're trying to take a disc from a hyzer release angle and have the disc flip during flight at the appropriate time / distance.

An anhyzer release is going to have very similar mechanics to your standard "straight shot" release and follow through and will simply require the disc to hold a line, rather than shaping a particular line with a flip of the disc mid-flight.

So while a turnover shot may be thrown very similar to your straight shot, you are depending on the discs understability (and / or OAT) to allow it to turn mid-flight, while an anhyzer released shot is thrown similar to your straight shot, but relies on the discs stability to maintain a certain flight path.

I guess it's just whatever people prefer, but I tend to be a little more concerned that my disc may go horribly off-target on a turnover shot than if I put it on a specific curve / line to begin with.

As for my preference for long and low turns to the right, RHFH would be my choice (if I didn't just throw straight and then approach at the turn).
Long and high ceiling I'd RHBH anny it.

Fiance was getting mad at me bacuse I had my basket in the garage on her side with her vehicle pulled out and was standing in the yard off to the right of the garage if you are looking at the basket from outside and about 50' out and was practicing throwing annys over her vehicle, into the garage and to the basket. Had a few hit the back wall of the garage and other places but was suprised how accurate I was and had a few go in and a few more bounce off the top of the basket and...errr... a couple catch the top of the opening of the garage and land on her car. oops

I should preface this by noting that I am not, nor do I wish to portray, an expert on any kind of disc golf shot.

Now to my answer...
However, they're more critical when you're trying to take a disc from a hyzer release angle and have the disc flip during flight at the appropriate time / distance.

An anhyzer release is going to have very similar mechanics to your standard "straight shot" release and follow through and will simply require the disc to hold a line, rather than shaping a particular line with a flip of the disc mid-flight.

So while a turnover shot may be thrown very similar to your straight shot, you are depending on the discs understability (and / or OAT) to allow it to turn mid-flight, while an anhyzer released shot is thrown similar to your straight shot, but relies on the discs stability to maintain a certain flight path.

I guess it's just whatever people prefer, but I tend to be a little more concerned that my disc may go horribly off-target on a turnover shot than if I put it on a specific curve / line to begin with.

As for my preference for long and low turns to the right, RHFH would be my choice (if I didn't just throw straight and then approach at the turn).

Good summary....as far as preference, it really does depend on the line you need to hold. Example:

DX Eagle, newish, anny: will turn from the release but fade back out when thrown at normal height. I can control the turn with angle of release. Line must allow for a semi-circle flight

DX Eagle, beat, normal: will turn, but later in the flight and will not fade back, will need a bit more height to not turn into a roller. I can delay the turn by throwing on a hyzer. It will be relatively straight as it flips up, then turn right.

I have more control with the anny, but the line doesn't always allow for it.

See pic below, Warwick Town Park, Hole 2, Long Tee. Straight, slight downhill, big right turn to get out of the woods. Basket is another 50 ft or so past the wood's end,in the open, about 200ft from the turn.

1e9ab152.jpg

A Roc RHBH on an anny works well, but I have to aim to the left, avoid the trees, bring it back right, and avoid the trees on the inside of the corner and often it will fade back at the end and not quote get out. I'm trying to fit a semi-circle flight path in a J shaped fairway.

Threw my beat DX Eagle RHBH there on Sat, normal release with a bit of height. It flew straight down the early chute here, started its turn and carried all the way out the bottom. Now, too low, it would have flipped over and turned into a cut roller, but the slight downhill and some available ceiling allowed me to throw normally and the disc turned sharply and high enough to allow it to straighten back out a bit yet not fade strongly.

I was at a Random Draw Doubles Leagues the other day and was faced with a 125 ft blind shot around a tree line. The only shot was around the left side, so me being a RHBH thrower almost exclusively (forehands are rare and usually a disaster), I took out my Latitude 64 Fuse and launched it with a little hyzer straight at the gap. The disc turned over and rode the anny line right next to the basket.

I have been working on my turnover shots for a long time, so to me that was just a normal shot that I just executed. My partner turns to me and says, "Wow, I could never have done that. How do you do that?" He then proceeds to throw a forehand shot that doesn't get as close as my shot. Then the other group we were playing commented on how nice the shot was and wished they could do the same.

I thought that everyone threw turnover shots, so the comments came as a little suprise to me. Then I thought about it and realized that most people that I play with would have used a forehand shot in that situation.

My best friend that I play with also calls the anhyzer shot "my kind of shot" as I have utilized it a lot. Among the people I play with, the slow turnover shot is only used my me and one other person.

Do a lot of people use the turnover shot instead of the forehand? The turnover shot is something that is easy for me now, so I guess I don't understand how people have a hard time with it. Are turnover shots that hard to execute?

Nastiest turnover disc in the game has to be an ESP Avenger SS. I can make throws with this disc that I can not seem to pull off with any other disc. Frankly, getting this disc to work just as I need it too is quite difficult, but when looking at a near impossible anhyzer, that a side arm shot just won't do it...I turn to the Esp AvengerSS.

Among some notable holes with the AvengerSS are parks on the old #2 at Kimball Pines, MI and #11 at Whitehall, MI. The key is to release tail down, release low to high, and to get just the right amount of snap so that the disc turns over late. As for sky anhyzers, this disc is dirty. Lately, I changed to a glide, which is more overstable on the same shots, moves slower, but seems to land better, where the AvengerSS turns over and continues following that line very fast..gl...

And then I hear of the mighty rollers that can be done with the AvengerSS...bad disc...but you need finesse to get the most out of it.

Now to my answer...

This is what I was getting at. I personally prefer turnover shots because I have many of the problems you listed when I throw a true anhyzer. I don't think it's fair to generalize and state that one type of shot is inherently better than the other because it works better for you. Every shot has its uses and drawbacks.

Last edited:

Latest posts