• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

good disc for a strong forehand throw.

Eagle X
Destroyer

Also my buddy likes the Echo Katana because the Flight numbers are 13 6 -2 2 as opposed to the Star Katana 13 5 -3 3, More glide and HSS less fade. kinda what youre looking for?

DeadEye is right about the palm up though, thats the only time I turn 'em.

The more overstable the disc is, the more it's going to resist turning and burning.

However, even understable discs can be thrown for long distance forehand with power as long as your form is clean. If you need overstable discs to get distance, you have work to do on your form.

What brad says. Turning lots of discs over when throwing forehand does not necessarily mean lots of power and most likely means there's a lot of off axis torque. So with clean(er) form you can forehand even understable stuff.

But that didn't answer your question. I'd say a Star XCaliber is a good forehand distance driver. Lots of glides for how overstable it is.

I throw sidearm and I really get some power behind my drives, Mostly from the wrist. I haven't had any luck with anything but star plastic. Most discs turn over to the left like crazy, but I have had a lot of luck with a star katana, (straight for a good 300 feet) and a discraft predator. I hate wasting money on discs that aren't right for me. I know I need to look for over stable drivers, but what are some good discs that aren't easily over-spun?

If you think you have great form and power, but need more more stable disc, just go for heavy (175g+) versions of the most Stable discs out there, e.g. Firebird, Boss, Ape, Nuke, Destroyer, XXX, Rampage. Choose your favorite manufacturers version. Having a very overstable disc you can dump around corners is pretty useful too if you don't end up liking it for forehand.

When I was trying to learn to throw forehand, and I still am, so this isn't like an expert talking, I really liked the Rampage that I had bought to try out Legacy discs. I could throw that thing with anhyzer really hard and, given some height, it would always find a way back to flat or hyzer. Plus it was super duper fast. A few times I got my best distance ever forehand that way, but my control was awful and I lost it :wall: Now I use a 158g Destroyer in the same situations. I have a little better control on that, but it rises on me sometimes.

Sounds like there might be some form issues, but if you're really looking for OS get yourself a Champion 12x Firebird and look for one with the really stiff rim. Those things will fade no matter what.

If you are open to tips. Firm thumb pressure, palm up(as mentioned), and try to tuck in your elbow a little to make sure it comes out hyzer. I flick a pretty consistent 375' with a katana/destroyer/beat Xcal. I can't turn a Max or an Ape over. Westside Giant sounds pretty beefy too.

Boss or Destroyer would probably work well for you. Firechicken and Flick don't have enough glide to get as much distance, but are great utility discs.

I flick max weight firebirds at about 350 feet. Not the longest disc, but reliable as all get out and in most cases more distance is not all that necessary.

I have been enjoying a Gold Line Villain for my long distance side arm shots. The Gold Line seems to have a little more high speed turn and a more glide than the Opto. If you want a meat hook, go with the Opto Villain or a S Line PD2 Chaos.

Practice driving with your putters. It will infuriate you, but your form will improve exponentially with practice, and stay away from anything over speed 9 until you can get those putters to 300'(alright 270' at least).

This. My FH didn't start getting usable (I still wouldn't call it good) until I worked on it with a Ridge. Any stable putter will work, because you have to throw them clean to get any distance/resist turning and burning.

But if you just want to torque monkey it, just get the fastest, most overstable disc you can find.

Anyone else find irony in "MrKnowItAll85" asking for advice?

I appreciate the research building off the trial and error of others. Economically wise for sure.

If you haven't tried a PINNACLE RAMPAGE, or ICON RAMPAGE, then I think you will love them. Extremely fast, extremely over-stable, and great for FH throwing. After hitting a few trees, it isn't as hard to throw them but they still maintain a good OS hook at the end.

I also like:
Legacy Cannon (not as overstable as the Rampage)
Innova Destroyer for sure

Shorter fairway drivers for great FH throwing:
can't go wrong with a Firebird
the older Trident from Lat 64 is terrific. Great for 200-275ft.

Approach:
(learn backhand.)
if you can't or won't:
Buy an ESP Zone and a D-Zone.
the D-Zone will break in and do nice things for you

The Predator is a great disc. He has one, and likes it. Why so many options for replacing it?
Yes, you can "overspin" a disc, in relation to how it was intended to fly. That's what happens when you turn one over. More snap, more spin, more turn. Eventually, enough spin, and you can get a turn-n-burn or roller. That's not to say there isn't usually OAT that's more to blame than an over abundance of snap/spin. Take a disc that you hyzer flip. That's putting lots of spin on a disc, on purpose. Release it flat with that same snap, and it'll hit the ground running, literally. Was that disc intended to "fly" that way? Probably not...thus, you've over-spun it. We all just call it something else.

You're form probably needs some cleaning up, but when it comes to FHs, there's even less of a distinct "this is the disc you should throw for this", because different people have varying form. If you get a good baseball player to throw a FH disc cleanly, watch him whip the hell out of it, and put a ridiculous amount of clean spin on the sucker...because that's just the way they throw.

If it works for you, keep using it. If you want to find more discs, that let you work different lines, then let us know what kind of a shot you're trying to achieve, and the kind people here can give better suggestions. Right now, it's just kind of a shotgun suggestion tactic in here...

Do you want something that will fade at the end? What kind of distances are you looking for? Do you want it to skip big, or stick and stop? There have been lots of good suggestions in here, just read carefully what they say about it, so you can look for the right disc/line you want.

Last edited: