• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

good disc for a strong forehand throw.

MrKnowitall85

I throw sidearm and I really get some power behind my drives, Mostly from the wrist. I haven't had any luck with anything but star plastic. Most discs turn over to the left like crazy, but I have had a lot of luck with a star katana, (straight for a good 300 feet) and a discraft predator. I hate wasting money on discs that aren't right for me. I know I need to look for over stable drivers, but what are some good discs that aren't easily over-spun?

I rock a Westside VIP Boatman for my FH shots.
Just a solid, solid FH disc.

Kinda like Innova's wraith, but you might want to try the Boatman out in Tournament, if you're partial to star plastic.

i dont throw too many sidearms but man I've really been liking this max weight TI wasp for them. i can crank that thing.

The more overstable the disc is, the more it's going to resist turning and burning.

However, even understable discs can be thrown for long distance forehand with power as long as your form is clean. If you need overstable discs to get distance, you have work to do on your form.

When I need ~300 feet straight ahead, I throw either a Sirius JLS or a Champion Cobra. Then again, I'm not very strong. Anyways, that's what works for me, but it may not work for you. Good luck!

I like FLs, FBs and Destroyers. I do flick stable/understable stuff if circumstances call for it.

Like someone said above, it is a form issue. If you want some you can crank on and have it come back then Nuke/Nuke OS, XXX, Trident, Boatman are all ones that I like to use.

Discraft Zone Z 50-150ft
Innova Banshee Champion 150-250ft
Innova 11x FB 200-275
Discraft Force Z/Innova Champ Xcal 250-350ft

Can't go wrong with that setup.

Good disc for a strong FH throw?

Any disc you want. As long as it feels good in the hand, and you can throw it cleanly.

easily over spun? You're letting your wrist turn over, and most probably throwing with off axis torque. Practice driving with your putters. It will infuriate you, but your form will improve exponentially with practice, and stay away from anything over speed 9 until you can get those putters to 300'(alright 270' at least).

Monsters are excellent. Latitude Villain is also cool. Starfire, Boss, destroyer are some good ones.

If you get a monster stay away from flat pearly ones. They are addicting.

Most guys I know that throw FH including myself use Destroyers or Bosses for max D. Great for forced flex shots and big hyzers.

When I want more control, I'll power down and use a teebird, sidewinder, buzzz, or meteor depending on the distance and line I'm trying to hit. Hope that helps.

Discraft Force!

My friend has one of the better flicks I've ever seen (including pros!) and almost always uses a Teebird. When he wants to put a lot more behind it, he uses a Force.

If there's something I could improve form wise, I'll absolutely take all the advice I can get. I throw with my hips turning to just about perpendicular to the goal before I release, and ever since I started consciously doing that every time, I get a tremendous amount of snap. I've thrown less over stable discs just about 275-300, but I have to compensate for the turn by releasing it at about 4:00. This doesn't always make for an accurate throw for me. Maybe I'm just over powering the disc? But like I said, certain discs, namely my 175 star katana, seem to be able to withstand it in a headwind or tailwind when I release flat, and I can still get a decent anny out of it if I need to. Should I look for discs with a high max speed? More/Less glide?

Thank you for all the feedback!

My distance disc is with a ESP surge FH. I throw it smooth and on a hyzer and it flips up and over for a nice S shot. You might try slowing it down and using more hyzer on less stable discs.