• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Good headwind driver for a Wraith thrower?

josser

Eagle Member
I typically throw Wraiths 350'ish and find that they have the largest rim (2.1cm) that my hand can grip with great comfort. The Flow is a very small 2.2cm and I would say that is really my max width rim.

Anyway, I'm looking for a headwind distance driver to compliment the Wraith with a similar rim width. I just got a Pulse recently and ordered a Blitz (hopefully a small 2.2cm like the Flow) as well. And there are always the freak beefy Wraiths but the Wraith throwers don't seem to think these are headwind driver worthy.

So any other suggestions or experiences with the discs mentioned above as headwind drivers? I'm sitting on some C-PDs and Preds that I am quite happy with and am looking for a bump in speed above these to compliment the Wraith.

ESP Force. The Star Wraith/ESP Force combo is about as tight as you can get.

I have a bunch of teerex's in my trade list I'd cut you a deal on if you wanted some

also, I'd go with domey z forces. I picked up a handful and they're all awesome in the wind.

Pulse may be a good choice. Or you can disc down a touch (if you don't wand a force or destroyer width rim) and throw a Starfire or S-PD

Find a stable Wraith they're out there usually "poppy domey". Otherwise get a few Destroyer.
Xcals will be a ton more stable from my experience and I never threw TRexes. I use Firebirds if the headwind in really strong.

Billym said:
Find a stable Wraith

That's the best solution, if you're used to throw Wraiths. Starfire is good too, but it doesn't have the same glide if that matters.

But who am I to give an answer...I throw a freaky überstable Ch Teebird into headwind.

Did I miss the plastic the OP throws his current Wraiths in?

Wow. Lots of replies so far.

I have tried some discs with the Teerex, Xcal, Destroyer width and they just aren't quite comfortable enough.

Tsunami might work fine, but I throw ESP and Z preds (or C-PDs)

I might have to try a Starfire out. A Z avenger might be good too but I have an ESP one and really hate the feel of the rim. I think Starfire might be the better bet of the two.

I usually throw Star Wraiths, and the Champ ones that I have were used so I'm not sure what they're like new.

Are Glow Wraiths nice and beefy?

I haven't had a ton of experience throwing in the wind, but doesn't the stability gained by a domey Wraith get negated by the crap wind performance of a domey disc?

I noticed that a lot of the discraft ladies throw pulses for FH. They're probably blessed with the same sized hands that I have.

Flicks have narrow rims and are pretty fast, and with 350' of wraith D it would make a great wind fighter.

I was going to say get a beefier Wraith if you threw a Pro but since you throw a Star I don't know. I use Pro Wraiths as my main workhorse driver and it does pretty well in the wind (I keep three in the bag in varying stages of wear so I throw the newest in the wind also @ 5280). If the wind is really howling I am grabbing an eagle or my 150g champ Firebird. Maybe a Firebird? Actually you should just keep tossing the Pred in head winds.

Teerex - X is a solid choice. A friend of mine uses wraiths for d and throws one of these when the wind is kicking. The rim is right about the same size as the wraith. Or you could just throw a new domey wraith with more hyzer

Latest posts